M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
Hi all, just wondering what your opinions would be on rotating a woofer to re center it. I'm using some 20 year old PSB stratus goldi and have noticed what appears to be some woofer sag, I can't say there is any distortion in the sound but was wondering if I should rotate the drivers to prolong their life?
157635592_899595640583928_4279496909793732772_n.jpg

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
Has anybody ever rotated a woofer? I never have and am unsure if I should attempt it? I have never opened up any speakers and wondering if I loosen the screws should I use some locktight when re screwing them? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As long as the voice coil/former is still in alignment, that isn't a big deal. Do you ever hear distorted sound or buzzing or other odd noises from the woofer?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all, just wondering what your opinions would be on rotating a woofer to re center it. I'm using some 20 year old PSB stratus goldi and have noticed what appears to be some woofer sag, I can't say there is any distortion in the sound but was wondering if I should rotate the drivers to prolong their life?View attachment 45390
By the look of that speaker, I would rotate it through 180 degrees. If it does get to the point of gap rub, it will be too late. It should be simple to do the job. I would not use Locktite. As long as you do not overtighten the screws, I doubt you will have a problem. If you do there is always the reliable carpenters glue and toothpick technique.

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
As long as the voice coil/former is still in alignment, that isn't a big deal. Do you ever hear distorted sound or buzzing or other odd noises from the woofer?
Have not heard any distortion from them, I just want to make sure they stay in tip top shape.

Thanks

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
By the look of that speaker, I would rotate it through 180 degrees. If it does get to the point of gap rub, it will be too late. It should be simple to do the job. I would not use Locktite. As long as you do not overtighten the screws, I doubt you will have a problem. If you do there is always the reliable carpenters glue and toothpick technique.
Ok thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot on the weekend.

Thanks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Has anybody ever rotated a woofer? I never have and am unsure if I should attempt it? I have never opened up any speakers and wondering if I loosen the screws should I use some locktight when re screwing them? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks
In the 1940-50's, woofers with heavy cones had to be periodically rotated but not all 15" woofers had heavy cones. For instance, the Altec Lansing cone assemblies have always been lighter than most others. As a matter of fact, the 15 inch model 416 woofers' cone moving assembly, as you find in the A7 Voice of the Theater cabinets and several home enclosures, only weighs 63 gms. With its low Qts, you always got excellent transient response even with tube amps

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Easy enough to do if you're worried about it. I have done so, not sure it was needed....but it was easy enough to do.

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
ya i took the screws out but was unable to lift the woofer out of its recess in the box, so i just put the screws back in....i guess it will just have to stay this way.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
ya i took the screws out but was unable to lift the woofer out of its recess in the box, so i just put the screws back in....i guess it will just have to stay this way.
Can't lift the woofer? You should lift some weights :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes tilting the box forward a bit can help remove the driver (be sure to catch it, tho). Sometimes whatever was used as a gasket between driver and box can be pretty sticky, too.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A bicycle tire lever is the best implement to easy it out. If you are careful you can use the flat blade of a screwdriver. You always have to lever a driver out gently.

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
Sometimes tilting the box forward a bit can help remove the driver (be sure to catch it, tho). Sometimes whatever was used as a gasket between driver and box can be pretty sticky, too.....
ahhh that makes sense, it felt pretty firmly in there. ill give it another shot then.

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
Figured out that the space between the woofer and box is normal and just a slightly miss aligned woofer, so all is good. Although it did have a crack on the rubber surround, so i decided to replace it. PSB was able to ship me two replacements, wasn't cheap but whatever sounds like knew and I have peace of mind.

All is good.

Cheats all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Figured out that the space between the woofer and box is normal and just a slightly miss aligned woofer, so all is good. Although it did have a crack on the rubber surround, so i decided to replace it. PSB was able to ship me two replacements, wasn't cheap but whatever sounds like knew and I have peace of mind.

All is good.

Cheats all.
They sent you a surround kit or new drivers?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It was very common and suggested by KEF with their original Reference 105 that had 10" woofer to rotate them annually. Those had only 3 screws, so it was quicker to do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis