MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
It really gets me going. Guys that let their better half decide what to buy. I mean supposedly chixx can hear better. Wrong. All they care about is how it looks. Tin eared women. My wife thinks the louder it is the better. Fidelity is as foreign to them as the ability to Parallel Park. Come on guys have some stones, speak up, you cant at home. WAF, talk about Whipped Audio Factor.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
LOL d*mn straight, suck it up guys, easier said than done though

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Spiffyfast said:
LOL d*mn straight, suck it up guys, easier said than done though
Spiffyfast is an Audioholic. Congrats man. Now you really need to run spellcheck. People will be a watchin'. ;)

Mulester finally reached that status, too, but he's still spambot. I tried to stick up for him, but he declined. I think he likes his status.

As far as chixx go, what can I say. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I bring home a new audio toy, and the better half gets dinner, a movie, and the kids get baths on me for the next three nights. I also clean up the kitchen and run the dishwasher. The only other action for me would be no action. :eek:

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
My wife is usually appreciative of my audio upgrades, although she does question everything, but I usually get what I want. She is concerned about looks but lets face it, I don't have any in wall/ceiling speakers and no small speakers for the fronts. And she is really digging the new SVS sub. I'm much more concerned about her not letting me get a new motorcycle than new audio equipment. ;)

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Duffinator said:
My wife is usually appreciative of my audio upgrades, although she does question everything, but I usually get what I want. She is concerned about looks but lets face it, I don't have any in wall/ceiling speakers and no small speakers for the fronts. And she is really digging the new SVS sub. I'm much more concerned about her not letting me get a new motorcycle than new audio equipment. ;)
oh, just get her on the back of it and she'll know why you got a new one, chics are easy to please as soon as they are on it

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
oh, just get her on the back of it and she'll know why you got a new one, chics are easy to please as soon as they are on it

Talk about innuendo.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
MacManNM said:
It really gets me going. Guys that let their better half decide what to buy. I mean supposedly chixx can hear better. Wrong. All they care about is how it looks. Tin eared women. My wife thinks the louder it is the better. Fidelity is as foreign to them as the ability to Parallel Park. Come on guys have some stones, speak up, you cant at home. WAF, talk about Whipped Audio Factor.
[BRAG] One of the reasons I'm now happily married ;) is that my wife has only a couple of requirements for me buying speakers. First, that I can afford them. (means save up for a while before buying...duh) And second, that I do my research and get the best sounding equipment for the looks.[/BRAG]

They're out there...ya just gotta find the right one. (and then train them to love HT)

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
gellor said:
[BRAG] One of the reasons I'm now happily married ;) is that my wife has only a couple of requirements for me buying speakers. First, that I can afford them. (means save up for a while before buying...duh) And second, that I do my research and get the best sounding equipment for the looks.[/BRAG]

They're out there...ya just gotta find the right one. (and then train them to love HT)

My wife really doesn't care what I get or do. She is really cool; I'm just talking about the guys who can't get the sub they want because their wife won't let them put it in the room. Simple as this, whomever makes the most $$$$ in the house makes the majority of the decisions. That is fair. Right?

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
MacManNM said:
Simple as this, whomever makes the most $$$$ in the house makes the majority of the decisions. That is fair. Right?
So I don't get to make any decisions?! :eek:

That hardly seems fair.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
My GF used to bust my chops non-stop about the audio stuff I brought home. Now she buys me nothing but speakers and other shiny things with buttons as gifts because she knows that this is what I like. She does do things to try and make the TV room more feminine in nature, but I can live with that. Teddy bears on the base of the speaker stands. Pictures and potted plants on top of the entertainment centre and the speakers themselves. Placemats on top of subs. This is what I must endure in order to assure compliance with the audio agenda, and I do so gladly. I pick out the gear, get final say on all matters electronic, and I get no complaints, at least not recently. The initial Sony receiver fiasco is well behind us.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mrnomas said:
So I don't get to make any decisions?! :eek:

That hardly seems fair.

Majority of the decisions. You get to decide what you are making the wife for dinner, or what color the toilet water will be.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Takeereasy said:
My GF used to bust my chops non-stop about the audio stuff I brought home. Now she buys me nothing but speakers and other shiny things with buttons as gifts because she knows that this is what I like. She does do things to try and make the TV room more feminine in nature, but I can live with that. Teddy bears on the base of the speaker stands. Pictures and potted plants on top of the entertainment centre and the speakers themselves. Placemats on top of subs.
After that, you absolutely HAVE to post pics. Teddy bears, potted plants, and placemats...Oh my! :D

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
MacManNM said:
Majority of the decisions. You get to decide what you are making the wife for dinner, or what color the toilet water will be.
Oh, so basically, I get to keep the same level of control that I currently enjoy. Whew!

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
Tactic

Here is something that has been very successful for me and I will now share with you. It will help you get what you want, related to audio gear and other stuff.

1. You need a plan. Don't just blurt out that you need a Toastmaster 9000 that costs 4 bazillion dollars and expect to get it.

2. The first time you bring it up, don't make it in the form of a request. Rather, mention in passing and be quick on your feet. If the conversation needs to turn away, do it quickly. Remember, NOT the topic of discussion, merely a passing thought - def9initely not a proposal.

3. Bring it up again some other time. You'll want to wait at least 3 days but probably no more than 10. Don't want it to seem planned or let her subconscious forget about Stage 2. This Stage might include some minor discussion about models and general prices. DO NOT let on that your "decision" to buy a particular model or price point has been made yet.

4. The coup de grace - after another 3-10 days you're home free. "Baby, I've given this a lot of thought, we've discussed this, it's really important to me, we'll buy you something, I'm leaving if I don't get this". You can pick the flavor of the 'old tomato' to throw at the wall here.

You can adjust this plan to your particular relationship. I personally wouldn't link back-to-back, 3-day waiting periods no matter how anxious you are. It seems suspicious and the whole "tossing it around for a while" and "We've talked about it" doesn't fly if the whole gestation period is less than a week. Your call though. Remember, it's a PLAN - Don't jump the gun.

Depending on sensitivity, you may want to add another Stage to soften things even more. Big purchases are worth waiting for.

Devious? Maybe. Dishonest? Plead the 5th. Hey - if you get what you want, it's all good! And, if you think she's not playing you, wake up. All's fair in love and audio.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've been meaning to post pics, but I just finished roughing in the room and putting up drywall and a ceiling and whatnot. I moved the HT room from one part of the basement to another in order to gain a couple of feet. I went from 12' by 8' to 12' by 10'. I also took this opportunity to run wires behind walls and over the ceiling to tidy things up. The GF is going to paint it with the help of a friend (they were supposed to be done last week, not even started yet). We both agreed on the colour by the way. I would have to preface any post with a caption like "what happens when Richard Simmons designs a TV room". I don't have a digital camera but a friend does and I should be able to snag it no problem for a day or so. My biggest concern, and the reason I haven't posted till now, is the comment I know I will get a lot of. "why is the TV so small?" It is only a 27" RCA but it is big enough for the room and it does the job till we move.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
miklorsmith said:
Here is something that has been very successful for me and I will now share with you. It will help you get what you want, related to audio gear and other stuff.

1. You need a plan. Don't just blurt out that you need a Toastmaster 9000 that costs 4 bazillion dollars and expect to get it.

2. The first time you bring it up, don't make it in the form of a request. Rather, mention in passing and be quick on your feet. If the conversation needs to turn away, do it quickly. Remember, NOT the topic of discussion, merely a passing thought - def9initely not a proposal.

3. Bring it up again some other time. You'll want to wait at least 3 days but probably no more than 10. Don't want it to seem planned or let her subconscious forget about Stage 2. This Stage might include some minor discussion about models and general prices. DO NOT let on that your "decision" to buy a particular model or price point has been made yet.

4. The coup de grace - after another 3-10 days you're home free. "Baby, I've given this a lot of thought, we've discussed this, it's really important to me, we'll buy you something, I'm leaving if I don't get this". You can pick the flavor of the 'old tomato' to throw at the wall here.

You can adjust this plan to your particular relationship. I personally wouldn't link back-to-back, 3-day waiting periods no matter how anxious you are. It seems suspicious and the whole "tossing it around for a while" and "We've talked about it" doesn't fly if the whole gestation period is less than a week. Your call though. Remember, it's a PLAN - Don't jump the gun.

Depending on sensitivity, you may want to add another Stage to soften things even more. Big purchases are worth waiting for.

Devious? Maybe. Dishonest? Plead the 5th. Hey - if you get what you want, it's all good! And, if you think she's not playing you, wake up. All's fair in love and audio.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

This is how you do it John Style:

step1, go buy whatever you want (as long as you can afford it)

step2, bring it home, drink beer and set it up.

step3, when she comes home and starts on you, tell her that she may spend the same amount of $$$ on whatever she wants. If she still complains, tell her that she can leave but the equipment is staying.
(A little known secret guys, women are a dime a dozen, there are tons of hot, divorced soccer moms out there waiting to make you their king)

Fair and balanced. You don't compromise your sound, she gets to buy some jewelery or some such crap.

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
HaHaHa - OK, my plan if you're keeping the woman, John's plan if she's whipped or ya jus' don't care. Soccer moms. . .hahaha

Gatsby

Gatsby

Audiophyte
I date women with similar interests. When your girlfriend is as excited about your new components as you are, you know you've found the one (this goes for the component and the girl ;)).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis