With the following speakers/subs, what crossover frequencies would you set?

5arnolds

Enthusiast
The receiver is a Denon AVR2300W.
Speaker Model
Purpose
Frequency Response
SVS Prime Center
Front Center​
48Hz – 25kHz​
SVS Prime Pinnacle
Front L&R​
29Hz – 25kHz​
SVS Prime Elevation
Front L&R Elevation​
55Hz – 25kHz​
SVS PB-2000 (2 of these)
Sub​
17Hz – 260Hz​
Definitive Tech
Rear L&R​
47Hz – 30kHz​

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I typically set all the speakers to 80Hz (small) and let the subs handle the low end. I find this provides a nice tight sound and removes the boom that can be associated with leaving fronts set as full range.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d agree that 80 is a good place. That’s where I’ve been for a long time in my main system. But don’t be afraid to experiment. I used 50 and 60hz for a long time too, while anything over 80-90 in my room doesn’t work. The room, and speaker placement will have an impact on the sound too. So definitely experiment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think 80 is a good starting point but I always experiment, too. Currently my crossovers range from 80-120 in various systems with a variety of speakers....

5arnolds

Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. I will start at 80 and experiment. Given the 2 subs I have and their capabilities, I think it makes sense to curve the settings to let the subs do the heavy hauling.

I’m interested to know if there is a specific movie/scene that would really help point out the difference in how the crossover settings impact the sound. I use the system about 95% of the time for watching movies.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
With movies it's all about explosions and other effects. It's not as easy to hear the bass boom from a crossover issue.

I found music is a much better method to test the crossover. If you are looking for a good CD to try I would suggest this one:

You can easily tell if the bass is too boomy and missing the tight punch that makes for a great sound system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll use a variety of things at hand, it varies but I'll use bassists' recordings often....some good drum content, too. Mostly music, but something like Tron Legacy often gets thrown on for some efx as well as music....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Music does tend to be easier to tell XO differences. In my room, bass gets tubby sounding over 90hz. I’ll test with music first. Then find a movie with lots of midbass like a good car chase.(yes tron legacy is a good choice) That should use all the bed layer speakers giving you an idea of what is different. A favorite of mine is Ready player one. Has everything. Also, Hacksaw Ridge. Great Atmos track, and there’s guns and explosions in every speaker. Oh, another favorite is Lone Survivor. Every gun has a unique tone, and the track uses all speakers and should help ID different settings. I usually put it in for a demo and watch the whole damn thing. Lol. Sooooo many choices...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis