Witch Receiver has the best picture quality?

C

CarGuy.610

Audiophyte
I have been researching receivers for over a month now and cant decide witch to buy. I bought the Sony STR-DA3500ES after I hooked it up the picture quality looked allot worse, it seemed liked computer generated video like a Pixar movie from my Blue Ray player looked good but a regular movie seemed ashy and I had the same issue with my Cable signal (Verizon Fios) I put on the football game and the graphics looked great but the video of the game looked blurry. I tried playing around with the video setting on the receiver, the Blue Ray player, the cable box and the TV but it didn't get much better. I finally disconnected the receiver and plugged the HDMI straight into the cable box and the picture was great again. I have and 52" Sony XBR-9 and all my HDMI cables are Sony High End Cables. I thought about just doing an audio set up but my cable box and Blue Ray player are in the basement and I have one HDMI cord that runs down there so it is a pain to switch sources. Is there a receiver out there that will not distort my picture? I don't really have a budget I just want the best picture quality possible.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I used to have a Witch Receiver, my ex-wife , every time I handed her my pay check, I am much happier now...;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
thought about just doing an audio set up but my cable box and Blue Ray player are in the basement and I have one HDMI cord that runs down there so it is a pain to switch sources. Is there a receiver out there that will not distort my picture? I don't really have a budget I just want the best picture quality possible.
Are you saying your receiver is upstairs while your blu ray player, cable box and TV are downstairs? How long are your HDMI cables?

If the cables are not too long, and are Sony cables then I don't think they are the problem. Try setting the Sony HDMI to pass through, that is, without any video upconversion/upscaling, and see how things look.

You may be able to get more help from the Sony user forums such as this one:

http://www.agoraquest.com/forum.php

C

CarGuy.610

Audiophyte
I used to have a Witch Receiver, my ex-wife , every time I handed her my pay check, I am much happier now...;)
Thanks for pointing that out just incase no one else noticed. :eek:

Last edited:
C

CarGuy.610

Audiophyte
Are you saying your receiver is upstairs while your blue ray player, cable box and TV are downstairs? How long are your HDMI cables?

If the cables are not too long, and are Sony cables then I don't think they are the problem. Try setting the Sony HDMI to pass through, that is, without any video upconversion/upscaling, and see how things look.

No my TV is upstairs and receiver, cable box and Blue Ray player are down stairs.

The cables connecting the sources to the receiver are the shortest they make and the cable running to the TV I think is 16 ft. I tried adjusting the The different HDMI modes even pass through and not any better I ended up returning the receiver.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
How about this one - NSFW
That's a witch I'd like to be on the receiving end of. :p

I had one or two of those, I still hand her part of my paycheck.

I have been researching receivers for over a month now and cant decide witch to buy. I bought the Sony STR-DA3500ES after I hooked it up the picture quality looked allot worse, it seemed liked computer generated video like a Pixar movie from my Blue Ray player looked good but a regular movie seemed ashy and I had the same issue with my Cable signal (Verizon Fios) I put on the football game and the graphics looked great but the video of the game looked blurry. I tried playing around with the video setting on the receiver, the Blue Ray player, the cable box and the TV but it didn't get much better. I finally disconnected the receiver and plugged the HDMI straight into the cable box and the picture was great again. I have and 52" Sony XBR-9 and all my HDMI cables are Sony High End Cables. I thought about just doing an audio set up but my cable box and Blue Ray player are in the basement and I have one HDMI cord that runs down there so it is a pain to switch sources. Is there a receiver out there that will not distort my picture? I don't really have a budget I just want the best picture quality possible.
Chances are the Sony doesn't have a great video processor. The best bet, as Peng suggested. is set it to pass thru. Or as you've done bypass it altogether.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I ended up returning the receiver.
Back to your question "which receiver has the best picture quality?", Onkyo's TX-NR3007 and above are equipped with the HQV Reon-VX so you can assume they will do a good job upscaling. The Denon models AVR-2310 and above have the Anchor Bay ABT 2010 video processor in them that should also do a good job upscaling.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis