Wiring help - sound is low

S

scooter6

Audiophyte
Just bought a new Samsung 50" DLP - already had existing surround sound receiver and digital cable & DVR from Comcast.

I hooked up the DVI from back of Comcast Motorola 6412 to the HDMI port on back of TV. Picture is great.

Also hooked up DVD, but directly to TV.

My problem is sound (I also had this issue before but just lived with it)

I have to turn my receiver up to about 45 or so for most channels for the sound to be good.

Any suggestions on an EXACT wiring diagram that will work or help this?

My components:

Samsung 50" DLP HL-R5067W
STB-Comcast Motorola DTC6412 (w/DVR)
DVD Sony DVP-NS300
Stereo VCR - Sony SLV-N77
Receiver - Sony STR-K740P

I have tried various settings on receiver but can't get the volume up and it is lacking that 'oomph' that you would think Dolby 5.1 or DTS would give you.

Help is appreciated.
Thanks

Scott

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What speakers are you using with the receiver?

How do you have the audio for your setup wired at present?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
scooter6 said:
Just bought a new Samsung 50" DLP - already had existing surround sound receiver and digital cable & DVR from Comcast.

I hooked up the DVI from back of Comcast Motorola 6412 to the HDMI port on back of TV. Picture is great.

My problem is sound (I also had this issue before but just lived with it)

I have to turn my receiver up to about 45 or so for most channels for the sound to be good.

Any suggestions on an EXACT wiring diagram that will work or help this?

My components:

Samsung 50" DLP HL-R5067W
STB-Comcast Motorola DTC6412 (w/DVR)
DVD Sony DVP-NS300
Stereo VCR - Sony SLV-N77
Receiver - Sony STR-K740P

I have tried various settings on receiver but can't get the volume up and it is lacking that 'oomph' that you would think Dolby 5.1 or DTS would give you.

Help is appreciated.
Thanks

Scott
Not familiar with this receiver. That volume number is relative and meaningless outside that receiver. What is the range on the receiver volume? How is your audio connection to the receiver? From where are you getting the audio input and is it digital or analog?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
scooter6 said:

My problem is sound
.....Scooter, you might tell us exactly how you have the audio signals routed, cabled, and wired, start to finish....you said it sounds good attenuated high, so you most likely have the audio signals routed, cabled, and wired, probably correctly.....I don't know, are you sure you're not expecting too much?....are your speakers rated 1/2 ohm, will take 8800 watts, and you're trying to use the Sony receiver?....yes, attempted humor....just had a thought....Scooter, some pre-amps have a small slide-switch on the back that allows less volume knob movement to get the same result....mine has that....you might look on the back of your receiver or check the manual.....

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Is your receiver set to "night" mode? This lowers the dynamic range so others can sleep while you are listening to your setup.

S

scooter6

Audiophyte
audio wiring

Sorry - I should have mentioned that -

I have audio interconnect (RCA) from Comcast STB Audio out to the Receiver's Audio In for Video 1 -

When using the receiver just to listen to the radio, the sound is massively higher - I have to turn it down to about 18 or so so it's not blowing your ears out - but when using the receiver for the cable audio, I have to turn it up to about 45 - and the volume number on the Sony receiver only goes to 60 -

Just can't figure out why this is happening - also, I am using the Sony speakers that came with that receiver - it was somewhat of a home theater in a box system but I still feel it should sound much better using the digital sound that should be coming from the cable set top box....so, I'm assuming I just don't have something connected correctly.

Should I perhaps be using the orange coaxial SPDIF from the cable box to the receiver? Or the optial link? My understanding is those are digital connections whereas I'm using analog with the audio interconnect, is this correct?

Thanks for any insight

Scott

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Nick250 said:
Is your receiver set to "night" mode? This lowers the dynamic range so others can sleep while you are listening to your setup.
This could very well be the cause. Also make sure that your STB does not have audio compression of a silmilar nature engaged.

scooter6 said:
Should I perhaps be using the orange coaxial SPDIF from the cable box to the receiver? Or the optial link? My understanding is those are digital connections whereas I'm using analog with the audio interconnect, is this correct?
To enjoy 5.1 sound on the Hi-Def channels, you MUST use one of the 2 digital audio out options on the STB. Which one you use is irrelevant, since both are equal in terms of signal transfer quality.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW, I also have to turn up my receiver higher to get the same volume as cds or dvds when the audio signal (optical) is coming from the cable box.

S

scooter6

Audiophyte
well then...now what..?

Well, that's interesting to hear - I was simply going to go buy a digital audio cable in hopes it would fix the problem -

But is it possible there is something else that hasn't been mentioned?

I will check for the 'night' mode and anything in the manual again about it but is there something else it could be before I go buy another cable?

thanks

Scott

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

scooter6 said:
Well, that's interesting to hear - I was simply going to go buy a digital audio cable in hopes it would fix the problem -

But is it possible there is something else that hasn't been mentioned?

I will check for the 'night' mode and anything in the manual again about it but is there something else it could be before I go buy another cable?

thanks

Scott

Cable will not solve your problem. Radio music through cable or radio is usually way louder than other program for one because they compress th emusic and hence the average level is higher.
Why not try a spare cable you may have at home, or one that is hooked up but not used when this happens.

S

scooter6

Audiophyte
we'll see what happens....

Well, today at lunch I went and bought a digital coax cable to run from the STB to the receiver - so I will remove the audio interconnect that is currently running from the STB to receiver video-1 input - we'll see what happens -

I'm hoping for the best - but it that doesn't completely solve the problem, then I know there is something else amiss - because there should be no reason coming from the STB to the receiver that the volume shouldn't be at least crisp and clear and have the benefit of digital audio using 5.1 or DTS, etc

The only other issue I can think if none of this works is there is a problem with the receiver - I'm so far not inclined to think that since everything else sounds good unless there are internal issues that are only affected when using certain inputs, etc.

I will replace the cabling tonight - I will post the results after I have something to report

thanks for all the input

Scott

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

scooter6 said:
Well, today at lunch I went and bought a digital coax cable to run from the STB to the receiver - so I will remove the audio interconnect that is currently running from the STB to receiver video-1 input - we'll see what happens -

I'm hoping for the best - but it that doesn't completely solve the problem, then I know there is something else amiss - because there should be no reason coming from the STB to the receiver that the volume shouldn't be at least crisp and clear and have the benefit of digital audio using 5.1 or DTS, etc

The only other issue I can think if none of this works is there is a problem with the receiver - I'm so far not inclined to think that since everything else sounds good unless there are internal issues that are only affected when using certain inputs, etc.

I will replace the cabling tonight - I will post the results after I have something to report

thanks for all the input

Scott
Let us know your outcome.:D

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
scooter6 said:
---snip--
--snip--
Scott
I am no expert but I do not believe it is quite that simple. The source can greatly impact volume and dynamic range even if it is all digital. One DVD will have more volume and dynamic range than the next. And like I said before the digital signal from my STB requires cranking up the volume over most (not all) other signals and that does not mean something is faulty. I think your expectations may be a bit high on this stuff.

Nick

S

scooter6

Audiophyte
what a difference

What a big difference -

I replaced the analog audio interconnects with the digital coax cable (orange RCA plugs) and I immediately noticed a difference.

For one, finally I got good volume when shows are broadcast in 5.1
I think what was happening was there was nothing coming from the center speaker using the setup I had.....

Now I only have to raise the volume up when I encounter a show that is not broadcast in 5.1 - so I still have to adjust the volume from channel to channel but on HD broadcasts the 5.1 sounds a lot better

Thanks for everyone's input -

My next purchase will most probably be a progressive scan dvd to replace my older Sony model

Scott

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

scooter6 said:
What a big difference -

I replaced the analog audio interconnects with the digital coax cable (orange RCA plugs) and I immediately noticed a difference.

For one, finally I got good volume when shows are broadcast in 5.1
I think what was happening was there was nothing coming from the center speaker using the setup I had.....

Now I only have to raise the volume up when I encounter a show that is not broadcast in 5.1 - so I still have to adjust the volume from channel to channel but on HD broadcasts the 5.1 sounds a lot better

Thanks for everyone's input -

My next purchase will most probably be a progressive scan dvd to replace my older Sony model

Scott
With this bit of info, I am still hanging, are you saying that before you were using the analog inputs, no center channel and now you are using the digital input and have lots of volume most likely because now you have a center channel presence? If you, you may want to go back to the analog and set your receiver to Dolby pro logic II if you have it. That should activate the center channel in a similar manner.

S

scooter6

Audiophyte
I'll look into that

Yes. Your summary is pretty much what I was saying.
Probably not really an issue now, but just for my own curiosity I am going to check into that.

Thanks for everyone's input - still enjoying my new HDTV purchase - I bought the HL-R5067W Samsung 50" DLP - great picture and now much better sound too.

Scott

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis