Wireless throughput; streaming HD

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Hello all.
Been awhile since my last post. Though I am always lurking. ;)
Please excuse me if this has been discussed in other threads, and feel free to point me to them. :)

Anyways, here is the story.
Last May, my wireless router took a dump. I went to my backup router, which lasted a week then also died. So I did some research, and wanted to buy a Linksys E3000. Unfortunately, I had a Fry's gift card, they didnt have it yet, and I couldn't wait, so ended up buying a Netgear WNDR3700.

My laptop a/b/g/n wireless card sucks, and couldn't connect faster then 54mb (802.11g). Max throughput I was getting between my server and laptop via wireless was 3-4MB/s (verified with iperf). Wireless signal srength at 85%, from 30ft away, 1 wall away, 2.4ghz, or 5ghz, no major electronics in the way. I also tried from 5ft, 10ft, 15 ft. Not enough for divx or HD streaming. IOMeter clocks my server raid1 at 90MB/s, my laptop HD at 60MB/s...Through wired GB connections, I get 40MB/s. So I know my server is fine.

With that all in mind, I went and bought a D-Link DWA-131. This device sucked, and actual throughput dropped to 1-2MB/s.

I returned that, and bought a Netgear WNDA3100 v2. This device really, sucked. After 4 tech support calls, and 6 hrs wasted, turns out that it doesn't support windows7 x64. Yet it says so on the box. So I returned that, did some more research and bought a Netgear wnhde111 wireless bridge.

So my laptop hard connects to the bridge using 10/100 connection. Bridge connects to router using 5ghz, and connects via wired GB to server. Iperf clocks the connection at 24MB/s. This is almost enough...divx is fine. But when streaming 720p I can watch it, but I get artifacts. :mad: using both vlc, wmp, and xbmc.

My questions:
1. What throughput speeds do you get to your streaming wireless device?
2. Is it enough to stream a clean 1080p video?
3. Did you have to do any special router / adapter settings? MTU 4k, jumbo frames, etc.
4. What is your wireless configuration?

I had 3 additional thoughts on the matter...
1. Returning everything and buying a Linksys E3000, with a linksys bridge, or wireless adapter.
2. Going to a powerline configuration...but have not done any research on this yet, and I don't know if it would provide enough throughput.
3. Spending much more money and going to a professional wireless AP like a Cisco Aironet 3500.

I would love to go wired, but we are selling the house.

No answer is to complicated. I am a network / systems / SAN administrator.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Reorx

jinjuku

jinjuku

The short answer is you are most likely not going to be even happy with N class wireless.

The connection speed can vary from second to second and so can latency. I think most people that try this with N will result in an experience of frustration.

G doesn't even begin to cut it. I would try a Powerline adapter since you can't make the wire investment in your house.

BTW I am running both D-Link and Netgear Wireless w/o issue. (N/G on the D-Link and G on the Netgear).

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
The short answer is you are most likely not going to be even happy with N class wireless.

The connection speed can vary from second to second and so can latency. I think most people that try this with N will result in an experience of frustration.

G doesn't even begin to cut it. I would try a Powerline adapter since you can't make the wire investment in your house.

BTW I am running both D-Link and Netgear Wireless w/o issue. (N/G on the D-Link and G on the Netgear).
I second this, however I will say that I was able to stream 1080i recorded tv with a Rosewill (newegg) wireless-n adapter. I tried doing the same through a powerline adapter and it would choke, might be the adapter, might be my wiring. Worth trying if you're frustrated with N.

I have not configured anything beyond some basic QOs stuff on the router.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Sorry for the late reply back.
I had to shelf this experiment for about a month, but now I have additional time.

Thank you both for the comments.

I am now looking at trying to use some type of Streaming software. DNLA server + DNLA player. I figure this may provide some advanced buffering options, and possibly take care of some of the artifacts. We will see.

We have a offer on our house, hopefully the banks will accept, and we can be in a new house by Christmas. I will definitely be running multiple cat6, and/or fiber cables to every room.

Thanks again.

Reorx

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis