Wireless Recomendations

itschris

itschris

I'm giving my Sony BD350 away and buying a new LG with the streaming option. I want to have the best wireless for streaming movies and for internet. I have knology cable that comes into the house into the router thing that came from Knology. From there, it goes hardwire into my current wireless router which is about 3 years old.

Here's what I want and have questions on...

1) The cable that comes into the house... should it go into something other than the black router box that was supplied? Can it or is it proprietary? If so, what?

2) From there what should that plug into for my wireless? I'm sure I need a new wireless router since mine is dated.

3) I have 2 printers in my office... an HP laserjet and an HP deskjet. I'd like those to be on the network somehow.

What hardware should I get? Thanks in advance for the expertise.

itschris

itschris

I posted this in the wrong area. I need some super powers to have it moved.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
LG BD390 is Awesome

Chris,

I just bought the LG BD390 last night and installed it; it is awesome. The wireless set-up was easy and I played a NetFlix flawlessly. Then today I checked for firmware upgrades, downloaded a firmware upgrade and installed it. Very smooth. I like the operation and picture quality kicked the sampling rate up to 192k

I had a Panaosonic DMP-DB30 but it quit playing BD discs. I tried to burn firmware upgrade several ways but they wouldn't read. I contacted Panasonic a couple of weeks ago and they said they are going to send me a firmware upgrade which might or might not fix the problem.

Good luck!

Forrest Man,

P.S. - Made thirteen (13) neighbors very happy, slow smoked 13 whole chickens and gave each one one. They loved the tender juicy meat ;)

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Are devices like TVs, PS3s, etc. up to date on the N wireless signature? Or are they only capable of G?

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Lots of Answers :)

Are devices like TVs, PS3s, etc. up to date on the N wireless signature? Or are they only capable of G?
Almost all "N"outersare backwards compatible with "G". So if it can handle "N", it goes at higher speed otherwise runs at "G"

Specifically answering OP's questions:

Here's what I want and have questions on...

1) The cable that comes into the house... should it go into something other than the black router box that was supplied? Can it or is it proprietary? If so, what?

Replace black router with one that has "G" or "N" wireless

2) From there what should that plug into for my wireless? I'm sure I need a new wireless router since mine is dated.

Taken care of in question (1) answer. You will connect to desktop PC via cableEthernet to configure. Enable wireless and secure either "WEP"or "WPA"

3) I have 2 printers in my office... an HP laserjet and an HP deskjet. I'd like those to be on the network somehow.
Usually they connect to a PC and then can be "shared" with other deviceson your local network. The default name is "Workgroup", but you can use any name you want , just make sure all your devices have the same name.

You can also share hard drives.

What hardware should I get? Thanks in advance for the expertise.

Answerd previously - LG BD390 ( you get Netflix, CinemaNow, YouTube and VuDu) - Have successfuly tried NetFlix and YouTube ( sorry I haven't tried more; just got my LG BD390 last night 12/20/09). Get a router that has wireless. "N" isthe newest and fastest and makesure it hasbackward compatibility with "G". "G" was the current standard and alldevices willwork with it; some newer will work with "N".

Peace, Good Luck and Good Sound!

Forest Man ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
itschris

itschris

Thanks for the help. Now you know you're just gonna get a second round...

1) I'll preface this by saying I'm potentially going to ask a very silly question because everytime I think I totally understand something, I find that I don't. Okay.. Looking at that router you posted from Amazon.. I don't see where the cable would hook up to that . So, I'm assuming the box that I get from Knology has to be there. The cable has to go into the CABLE IN and then the other cable has to be hooked to CABLE OUT to my existing wireless router like it is now which I just need to replace with a better router like you suggested. Yes?

2) My printers are hooked up to our home desktop, but it's not on that often. I currently have this wireless usb thing, but it's really not easy to setup and often times doesn't work right. I'd like to be able to just have the printers on the network as a standalone device so Christina can just print to it from her laptop whereever she is without having to turn on the other machine. Are there reasonable solutions for that?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis