wireless media server

Y

yev

Enthusiast
Does anyone here use a wireless media server such as Roku HD-1000, or Phillips SL400i. I would like to know your experience with the devices and how well it streams content such as MP3, videos, images, etc. What device do you have? How do you like it?

Thanks

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
I have a SlimDevices Squeezebox, and could not be happier with it. I have had for almost a year now.

I use it to play Lossless Flac audio files and connect it via digital coax to my Denon 3805. My entire collection has been ripped to FLAC and the quality is exactly the same as the original CD.

The Squeezebox is very easy to use and the new graphic display models are easy on the eyes. The server software is opensource and people are always making it better, the dev team is VERY open about their software and are a pleasure to deal with.

I would stay away from the Roku simply because they started off piggy backing off of Slimdevices opensource software without as much of a reference to slimdevices, and apparently modified the software without devulging what they did (against the GPL). Now they only offer the slimserver component as a completely unsupport way to use their device. Also the Roku from what I have read does NOT live up to all of its claims particularly in regards to the iTunes intergration.

E

egreen1976

Junior Audioholic
I'm using apple airport express and I couldn't be happier! I was using Tivo's digital media service, but found it a lil quirky and lots of lags. Since I primarily do music airport express was perfect, It worked with itunes and it takes up veyr little space pohysically so I can hid it away, It even provides me with wireless internet. That being said, u can only control it from a computer, and like i said no pictured or movies.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Slim Devices for me too

Yev,
I've been researching the same question for the past month or so, and have decided to go with the Squeezebox as well. It does not do pictures at this point, but for music it seems to be the best option out there. It can be connected via wire or wireless and handles lots of formats. It also provides for both digital and analog connections to whatever device you are outputting to. It does not handle DRM protected Windows Media files, though, so be careful if that is an issue for you. I'm planning to connect my DSL service to a Wireless Firewall router, and put a dedicated music server behind it. Then put a wireless squeezebox in the living room and one in the pool room to connect back to the server. One cool thing is that those seperate boxes can be run entirely seperately or synchronized to play the same tunes in both rooms from one remote.

Good Luck,

Mike

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I use a modded Xbox as a media server. It works great on pretty well everything.
You can't use it as a TIVO, though, & the fan's a little noisy, but I'm looking into that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis