Wireless Headphones For The Avid Audiophile On A Budget???

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, moreso recently then ever, ive begun to research a bit about the wireless HIFI headphones out there. Seems there is quite a few choices from not just the quality and style of headphone but also the wireless method from RF frequency to Bluetooth and Infra Red. I really didn't know where else to post such a thread other then the trusty Speaker forum.

SO.. down to it. What are peoples feelings/experiences with buying HIFI wireless headphones for those late night movie watchers that dont want to wake up the rest of the house?

Ive heard Pioneer and Sony both make great competitors, not sure if grado has a set of wireless yet or not. Someone please let me know what to look for so that i might fix this problem.

Price point. Definately nothing over 400 unless the headphones are bar none superior to the rest. RF seems like it may have alot of interference cuz of all the electronics in my HT room. Computer and HT equipment. So preferably not RF unless the price is right.

Any ideas?? Please help :p

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have a pair of Sennhieser RS-120 RF wireless headphones and I love them. I use them constantly. I like the fact that they are RF and there are no line of site problems. I get very little interference in my house and they literally have a 300ft range. Of course, there is the occassional pop of static when you get farther from the transmitter but overal it they are excellent. The charging cradel is genious. It is very easy to use unlike many of the chargers out there (especially Sony's). I have never had the batteries die, even after 15+ hours of use. Sound quality is very good.

The next step up from mine are the RS-140's. I have heard them and they are an improvement over the 120's. I like the earpads better on the 140s as they enclose the ear instead of sit on top.

If you simply cannot stand any hint of FM interference then you would be a good candidate for and IR set. The main problem with IR is that you need to be in the line of site of the transmitter. Another option would be the AKG Hearo 999 digital UHF heaphones. They are a bit pricey, however.

I would not recommend Sony wireless phones after listening myself and hearing what others have to say about them.

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I would go for the RS-140's, but you really should consider wired ones if you want the best quality sound. There is a lot more choice and you'll generally get a lot better sound overall.

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
Well, originally i was looking at the rs-85s but sennheiser seemed to be their highest sound quality wireless but are pretty pricey. The reciever is proally 20 ft from my viewing of the TV so wired ones will become a mess. The 120s are allot cheaper but if the sound quality is good and the 140s are better i may go with them even if they are quite as good as the 85s, i think the pioneers are too much money and sennheiser has very good build quality as well as easily replacable parts. hmmm i think i really need to audition some.
feedback is appreciated guys, keep it comin.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I auditioned the Sennheisers in a Good Guys store (talk about interference possibilities). I walked across the entire store and did not hear any static. I was sold. I bought them on the spot.

You should definetly audition any pair before you buy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis