Wireless Adapter Question

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
Hey guys,

I'm looking at toying with the placement of a second subwoofer in my room and have read about two wireless adapters that can be used with subs, the Aperion "Home Audio Link" and the Audioengine AW-1.

Does anyone have any experience using either of these with subs? Do they work well? Does the extension on the devices suffice for movie LFE? Is a wired connection clearly/audibily superior?

Thanks for any help!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I tried the audioengine and never could get it to work.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not an engineer but I really can't understand why ther aren't more of these, particularly for subwoofers.

I would assume (and yes, i do know the four implied wods within) that, not using internal power amps, two router sized units, one transmitter and one receiver, perhaps with wall-warts would be all that's needed. Heck, maybe make them stereo units so they could be used or surround speakers as well.

Oh, make them able to accept and output line-level analog audio signals

I think there's a market out there waiting to be tapped.

If they already exist, please enlighten me/us.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The issue, I suspect, is cost. A wireless system that’s quiet, clean and (especially) interference-free isn’t cheap. You need look no further than the wireless mics used in pro audio systems. You can’t get anything decent for less than a few hundred dollars.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Very true Wayne.... If you want quality then its price you will pay, but one also has to offset the idea of what it will cost to install wires in places that aren't easy to send them. I would imaging that would level the playing field from a cost standpoint...

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Very true Wayne.... If you want quality then its price you will pay, but one also has to offset the idea of what it will cost to install wires in places that aren't easy to send them. I would imaging that would level the playing field from a cost standpoint...
Good point. I’ve toyed with the idea of using something like a wireless system for bass guitars (not for myself, but to recommend to others :) ). The challenge there would be the signal mismatch signal – a few volts AC for an AVR’s sub out vs. millivolts DC for a bass guitar. On top of that, there’s no guarantee that it would be good down to 10-20 Hz, since bass guitars don’t go that low.

Which brings us to the big problem with this wireless stuff. Most of it does not carry any meaningful audiophile specs such as S/N, frequency response, THD, etc. Just try to find anything on that Soundcast set-up. Except that it’s a 2.4 gHz device, which means it might get nuked (at least temporarily) if someone in the house picks up a cordless phone.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Soundcast provides all the specs:

Specifications:

Data Rate 1.536 Mbps

Modulation Frequency Hopping; FSK digital radio

Transmission Type Transceiver (Bi-directional)

Co-existence Impervious to 802.11, microwave oven, both DSSS and FHSS cordless phones, and Bluetooth devices. Up to 3 SoundCast system can operate in 1 general area.

Operating Frequency 2400-2483 MHz

Channel Width 2.0 MHz

THD+N 0.07% @ 1kHz

SNR 92.4 dB A-weighted (20-20 kHz)
Latency 64 ms

Frequency Range 20-20 kHz (+/-1dB)

Typical Range 150' indoors/350' outdoors

Transmitter Power 19 dBm (FCC & ETSI compliant)

Which brings us to the big problem with this wireless stuff. Most of it does not carry any meaningful audiophile specs such as S/N, frequency response, THD, etc. Just try to find anything on that Soundcast set-up. Except that it’s a 2.4 gHz device, which means it might get nuked (at least temporarily) if someone in the house picks up a cordless phone.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Soundcast provides all the specs:

Specifications:

Data Rate 1.536 Mbps

Modulation Frequency Hopping; FSK digital radio

Transmission Type Transceiver (Bi-directional)

Co-existence Impervious to 802.11, microwave oven, both DSSS and FHSS cordless phones, and Bluetooth devices. Up to 3 SoundCast system can operate in 1 general area.

Operating Frequency 2400-2483 MHz

Channel Width 2.0 MHz

THD+N 0.07% @ 1kHz

SNR 92.4 dB A-weighted (20-20 kHz)
Latency 64 ms

Frequency Range 20-20 kHz (+/-1dB)

Typical Range 150' indoors/350' outdoors

Transmitter Power 19 dBm (FCC & ETSI compliant)
20 - 20K hz.... Hmmm not what I would call a very good response for subs that can output below 20hz.

Still waiting tirelessly on my boxes. I'm pretty frustrated about this...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Wow...thought they were about done a month ago.

See why I didn't want to jack with them??????????
20 - 20K hz.... Hmmm not what I would call a very good response for subs that can output below 20hz.

Still waiting tirelessly on my boxes. I'm pretty frustrated about this...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis