Windows computer as my main audio source

C

clucas6308

Audiophyte
Am I on the correct path, I plan on using USB to a DAC, XLR from DAC to Marantz AV8802A ( but I see the 8802A only has right and left input) is that all I need to go out to the amp for 5.1 or 7.2 etc? Or will it only be stereo? Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Am I on the correct path, I plan on using USB to a DAC, XLR from DAC to Marantz AV8802A ( but I see the 8802A only has right and left input) is that all I need to go out to the amp for 5.1 or 7.2 etc? Or will it only be stereo? Thanks.
If you must use balanced inputs, yes it will be stereo, but you can use the 7.1 unbalanced inputs. There won't be performance degradation using the unbalanced inputs if you keep the interconnects short, say less than 3 meters, and use good quality ones.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If you are going to use a computer, as a main source, then I recommend you build it round a good gamer board with HDMI out.

That is the way to go. You don't need an external DAC then, the receiver or AVP will do the job well.

If you have specialized audio needs like mastering and editing, then you can add a DAC for audio only, but that is not needed for reasons of SQ.

C

clucas6308

Audiophyte
Got it, I think I will stick with HDMI from computer to the Marantz preamp.
Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have a multich dac like an Okto 8 or something?

I'd just stream to the pre-pro myself via dlna/wifi, physical wiring isn't ideal in my situation.

Skye ezer

Skye ezer

Audiophyte
If you are going to use a computer, as a main source, then I recommend you build it round a good gamer board with HDMI out.
Is there a difference between HDMI cables of different prices? I mean, if we don't consider the very cheapest ones for $4. There are still cables priced at $60 and $1000+

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a difference between HDMI cables of different prices? I mean, if we don't consider the very cheapest ones for $4. There are still cables priced at $60 and $1000+
The differences in hdmi cabling is generally about bandwidth and construction. Price is a poor indicator of performance, especially at $1000, that's just throwing your money at charlatans like Fraudioquest....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just buy a 4K rated cable from a reliable vender. In other words HDMI 2.1 rated. Don't spend a fortune.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis