Windows 11 on new laptop. Windows Media Player Legacy Not Working

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I finally got a new laptop (windows 11) and transferred all my music files to a folder. About half a TB. I was moving the files over to the Windows Media Player Legacy which worked great on windows 10. It stopped taking files in the B's. I have tried everything to make it work and it doesn't help. Is there a better app like Musicbee or something else? I also tried a media player for windows 11 and that did the same thing. Microsoft greatness. I also tried moving all my music files from my hard drive to the new computer and the codec didn't work. Good thing it worked from my phone.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I use Windows Media Player Legacy as my default player on my Window 11 Pro system in the Man Cave / Junk Room. It sees thousands of tunes (both TBs of FLAC and MP3 - but I rarely play any of the MP3s) with all the data, art, etc., no problem. Typically I use File Explorer to move the Folders / Albums about and then use Manage Music Library to Add them in. As I divide all my tunes under either FLAC or MP3, it takes a long time for Media Player Legacy to add them in, so I have to be patient.

I also muck around with VLC sometimes. You may want to give it a go instead. I use it on a Chromebook, and I know it'll work on Windows too.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm more curious about how/why files are moved to a player rather than just your library....can you explain some more?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I have all the files in a folder in the laptop. It's easy to use the media player (it's free) to load to a phone and also play. It also sorts by artist, song or album.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have all the files in a folder in the laptop. It's easy to use the media player (it's free) to load to a phone and also play. It also sorts by artist, song or album.
But you're not actually loading them into the media player, but rather copying them over to the music folder? Or is it some special folder associated with WMP? Not sure why you're hitting a capacity limit by copying your files over to a new music folder.....but I'm not a WMP user myself, tho, I prefer Foobar2000.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
like @lovinthehd said, you don't physically move the file with Media Player, but rather it indexes them according to their meta data and existing file location. It sounds like your laptop got hung up. If you have the tunes on an external drive, that can sometimes confuse Media Player as Windows assigns a drive letter when a new device is plugged in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis