Will these subs work together?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Currently I have Boston Acoustics VR2's for my front speakers with a Boston PV500 10" sub. I'm a little unhappy with my PV500's performance. It's only rated to about 35Hz. I would like a sub that plays a little lower and louder. I've seen a lot of good reviews on the Earthquake MKIV10 sub. It has an active 10" driver with a passive 10" radiator. I read one review that said it output 100db at 20Hz with less than 2% distortion. Sounds pretty good to me.

My question is this: When you run 2 subs, do they need to be the same type of sub or can they be completely different, as my PV500 and the Earthquake would be? Also, when you use 2 subs, does one need to be out of phase with the other or should they be the same?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You can run two different subs, but you can't have them setup in a stereo array (one on one side of the TV, one on the other). The best way to run 2 different subs is to but the beefier one on the front wall, and the weaker one behind you.

You will have to experiment with the phase and see what settings sound best to you.

SheepStar

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep said:
You can run two different subs, but you can't have them setup in a stereo array (one on one side of the TV, one on the other). The best way to run 2 different subs is to but the beefier one on the front wall, and the weaker one behind you.

You will have to experiment with the phase and see what settings sound best to you.

SheepStar
Thanks for the response Sheep. That's just what I was thinking of doing. I was planning on putting the PV500 behind the couch and putting the Earthquake in the right front corner of the living room, (where the PV500 resides now). The only bummer is that I've read that Earthquake recommends putting their sub in a corner at a 45 degree angle. And right now our exercise bike is in that corner of the room. I'll have to put the sub about 2 feet away from the corner.

I guess I'll just get a Y-splitter and run 2 sub cables from the back of my Denon receiver. That seems to be the most common way of doing it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis