Will the Pioneer Elite SC-79 Receiver with HDBaseT work with my 4 OHM Martin Logan Speaker

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I am looking at the Pioneer Elite SC-79 Receiver with HDBaseT as a solution for my new home theater system; however, and remember I am a newbie, will it work with my "4 OHM" Martin Logan speakers? Below is my gear:

LF & RF - Martin Logan Ethos
Center: Martin Logan Stage X
Surrounds: Martin Logan Vanquish
Rears: Martin Logan Vanquish
Subs (2): SVS PB13 - Ultra

Aside from my compatibility question, is this a receiver you would recommend for my setup?

Thanks to all who answer!

Matthew

M

mister wiggles

Audioholic Intern
First off, sick gear!

The SC-79 would work, but if you plan on listening to your system at higher volumes, I would save some coin and get an AVR to use purely as a the processor and get separate amps to drive the speakers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ethos is a great speakers - they measured great and I head ML's older electrostats and they sounded beautifully. There is a catch thou - due to their design they have rather narrow sweet spot.
As for compatibility with Pioneer elite avr - as far I as remember all Elite series avrs have beefier amp and should support Nominal 4 ohms speakers, but like previous poster said - it also depends on how loud you intend to play these...

Also if you look at impedance graph on link below - at the higher freq they do look like dip below 4 ohm
Martin Logan Ethos

Another point is Audyssey XT and Audyssey Dynamic are commonly regarded are superior technologies than MCACC.
Imo you should Instead checkout deal for mid range Denons

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
What about this combination:

1. Emotiva XMC-1 (soon to be released)
2. Emotiva XPR - 5

Thanks,

Matthew

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Don't hold your breath on the XMC. It has been "soon to be released" for a long time! And at that, it is might pricey and Emo better get it right this time.

I think the mid-range Denon (suggested earlier) and Emo amp would be a better, safer, cheaper, quicker option.

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
Don't hold your breath on the XMC. It has been "soon to be released" for a long time! And at that, it is might pricey and Emo better get it right this time.

I think the mid-range Denon (suggested earlier) and Emo amp would be a better, safer, cheaper, quicker option.
Blame this on the newbie in me but are you suggesting a Denon preamp and Emo amp? Or is it a Denon receiver and an Emo amp?

Thanks,

Matthew

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Blame this on the newbie in me but are you suggesting a Denon preamp and Emo amp? Or is it a Denon receiver and an Emo amp?

Thanks,

Matthew
Denon receiver with pre-amp outputs. You would not use the amps in the Denon. Or you would only use the Denon to power surrounds and get a 3 ch amp for L/C/R

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
+1. Offload LCR duty to the external amp and let the Denon drive the side and rear surrounds.

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
Got it! I was just perusing websites and came up with a combination that fits in my budget and appears to be a good solution:

1. Emotiva XPR - 5
2. Marantz AV8801 preamp

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Matthew

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Since the AV8801 is a pre-pro you will be 2 amps short given that you listed 7 speakers in OP :).

How about an XPR2 for L,R and XPA5 for the rest. I'm getting giddy just thinking about them in your setup with the Marantz and ML speakers and dual Ultra subs.

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
Since the AV8801 is a pre-pro you will be 2 amps short given that you listed 7 speakers in OP :).

How about an XPR2 for L,R and XPA5 for the rest. I'm getting giddy just thinking about them in your setup with the Marantz and ML speakers and dual Ultra subs.
I am also giddy!!! :) I like this proposal. Do I hear any last minute responses? No? SOLD! to the slightly overweight middle aged man building his first home theater!

Thanks agarwalro!

~Matthew

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
thats going to be a great system.
I am so excited as this is my first home theater! But to your credit, "mister wiggles" I might like your online alias better! LOL :) Seriously though, while I expect my system to last awhile, my eventual goal is to reel in four Martin Logan CLX art speakers. At $27000 a pair, that is going to take some time for sure! In other news...I will keep you all updated as the basement finishing progresses. Specifically, my photos will show the elaboration of the home theater area. F-U-N!

~Matthew

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
Next time you are in Wentzville, MO, "The Crossroads of a Nation", you can cash in the coupon I will be sending you! LOL Thanks for your help. I am learning so much on these forums it is ridiculous. But the first thing I learned is how little I know. I am a technology manager by trade so geeking comes with the territory; however, this is a whole different world and I am loving it!

~Matthew

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
New question:

Which projector in the $3000 - $6000 range would you go with: Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6030UB OR the JVC DILA 1080p 3D Projector? Or is there a third that you think whoops butt over these two? :)

Thanks,

Matthew

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis