Will the newer models of speakers be an improvement over my current ones?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Getting bitten by the upgrade bug. Will the newer bookshelf speakers being sold today offer an improvement over my pair of Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65's?
Bought them in 2016.
Pretty much bored with surround sound, will stick to just 5.1.2 and beef up the front soundstage for music (vinyl, CD's) and internet radio.
Already reconfigured my AVR from 7.1.2 to 5.1.2 (Yamaha RX-A2A) Apartment too small for a bunch of speakers anyway. Main listening area about 15 feet by 15 feet with 9 foot ceiling.
Front speakers DefTech SM 65
Center speaker DefTech Pro Center 1000
two Subs SVS SB2000
surround speakers two Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 (might upgrade to Minx Min 22's)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on what speakers you're considering. Sure, there are better speakers.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Your speakers are newer then mine , I think switching brands will change your sound but those are decent speakers so if it will improve it who knows . Maybe 3 ways could help but if you’re usage is movies center speaker is the most important.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Getting bitten by the upgrade bug. Will the newer bookshelf speakers being sold today offer an improvement over my pair of Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65's?
Bought them in 2016.
Pretty much bored with surround sound, will stick to just 5.1.2 and beef up the front soundstage for music (vinyl, CD's) and internet radio.
Already reconfigured my AVR from 7.1.2 to 5.1.2 (Yamaha RX-A2A) Apartment too small for a bunch of speakers anyway. Main listening area about 15 feet by 15 feet with 9 foot ceiling.
two Subs SVS SB2000
surround speakers two Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 (might upgrade to Minx Min 22's)
No budget, so that makes recommendations tough.

If I had DefTech speakers I would get bitten by the upgrade bug sooner rather than later.
Unfortunately you have a square room which adds to your problems.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bought them in 2016.
In general, no.

But some people will say the newer models sound better than even the previous models - doesn’t matter if it’s speakers or electronics (AVP, amps, etc.).

I think some people may upgrade for other reasons besides sound quality also.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Maybe a pair of these

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
This is where traveling to an audio store pays off, or perhaps watch a bunch of videos from Erin's Audio Corner. You are asking for subjective opinions that may differ from your own. What type of sound do you like? Do you like a ruler flat response or something on the warmer or brighter side. Do you like a wide sound stage or a speaker with precise imaging? You can then use reviews and speaker measurement graphs to see if something might fit the profile you like. Listen in person if you can and then see if you can find measurements on that model, which can help indicate the type of response you find appealing. The SM 65 were under $1,000 at the time. What kind of budget are you considering?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe a pair of these

Nice recs.

I personally prefer this cute little bookshelf that's only about 30" tall and 100 lbs each. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with TLS and ADTG, If you are going to upgrade, the same "family" but newer won't be enough of an upgrade to justify it IMHO.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank You All for the insights. I am just toying with the idea of changing out the DefTechs. If there's a big enough earthquake to knock them off the stands and ruin them, THEN I'll upgrade! :p

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thank You All for the insights. I am just toying with the idea of changing out the DefTechs. If there's a big enough earthquake to knock them off the stands and ruin them, THEN I'll upgrade! :p
You have pretty new speakers, I’ve got some I’ve got in basement set up 20 years old or more .
The modern version of my Klipch speakers no longer has compression drivers makes me wonder if it’s a downgrade to rp line.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Have any other rooms in your house that aren't being used? Whenever I get the upgrade bug, I make other systems instead of upgrading my main one. Other rooms can often be closer to that golden ratio with regard to acoustics, and less can often end up being more in those situations. My bedroom system only has a pair of budget DIY two-ways and a Chi-fi Bluetooth amp and it's bloody fantastic. So much so, I spend some time with it every day.

My main system often causes me to delay going to bed. Having a sweet side system in there that I really dig, saves me some sleep. OTOH, it can keep me in there longer than I should in the AM too so, there is that.

I also have break down systems I can set up on a table in 5 minutes and stash it in a box in my closet just as quickly, and those are worth doing too. Great plan B systems for when hurricanes send me to friends or relatives houses, who like music, but have no real systems. Now they request I bring them with, even just to visit.

There are no rules in the code of man that says we can only have one system. Sometimes I need a system for my other hobbies that put me in other parts of the house away from my main system and this conflicts me sometimes when I want to do both music and whatever at the same time.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Bought them in 2016.
two Subs SVS SB2000

Have any other rooms in your house that aren't being used? Whenever I get the upgrade bug, I make other systems instead of upgrading my main one. Other rooms can often be closer to that golden ratio with regard to acoustics, and less can often end up being more in those situations. My bedroom system only has a pair of budget DIY two-ways and a Chi-fi Bluetooth amp and it's bloody fantastic. So much so, I spend some time with it every day.

My main system often causes me to delay going to bed. Having a sweet side system in there that I really dig, saves me some sleep. OTOH, it can keep me in there longer than I should in the AM too so, there is that.

I also have break down systems I can set up on a table in 5 minutes and stash it in a box in my closet just as quickly, and those are worth doing too. Great plan B systems for when hurricanes send me to friends or relatives houses, who like music, but have no real systems. Now they request I bring them with, even just to visit.

There are no rules in the code of man that says we can only have one system. Sometimes I need a system for my other hobbies that put me in other parts of the house away from my main system and this conflicts me sometimes when I want to do both music and whatever at the same time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Same here. I build a new system out of what I have laying around and it ends up sounding good most of the time. My leftovers are pretty good now though :) Oppo 105 and Phil CA0W1s.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If you're reasonably happy with the sound it can be a challenge to find an upgrade path worth the money. My Paradigms were $1,600 Cdn when I got them but when I auditioned some towers I could not get a big enough improvement for the money. The RBH 661-SF/R is a good speaker but at $1,600 US each that gets you in the realm of some other good options. The Arendal 1723 Monitor THX is a great speaker at $3,000 (although large for a bookshelf model) and the Philharmonic BMR Monitor is great performance per dollar at $2,200. I have a kit for these and plan to build a pair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis