will in-wall LCR speakers preform as well as towers?

A

audioboy9317

Enthusiast
For example, how would a Klipsch RP 8000F speaker preform in comparison with a Klipsch R-5502-W speaker? What measurements should I be looking for to evaluate the two? My first thought is that the tower would be louder, fuller, and generally sound better than an in-wall.

I will be using a Denon AVR 6700H to power whatever I end up buying.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In-walls can sound good, but towers will usually sound better without as much effort. The room plays a big role in how speakers sound. Going all in-wall limits you on a lot of things that can help speakers sound better. Trust me, I have an all in-wall/in-ceiling 7.4.4 Atmos system and wish I had space for cabinet speakers.

Don't get me wrong, if you're limited on space like me, in-wall systems can sound fantastic. Mine does. I'd still rather have cabinet speakers.

A

audioboy9317

Enthusiast
let me add this bit of info:
My room is 16' wide, 25' long and 10' high. I will be using two Monolith 15" subs.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
let me add this bit of info:
My room is 16' wide, 25' long and 10' high. I will be using two Monolith 15" subs.
You have enough room for cabinet speakers. That's what I would go with.

Now, what's your budget? :)

A

audioboy9317

Enthusiast
for all 11 speakers (not including subs) probably about $5,000

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
for all 11 speakers (not including subs) probably about $5,000
Nice. Do you have any preference/restrictions on doing towers for all the bed channels? I would go with towers for the LCR at a minimum.

A

audioboy9317

Enthusiast
the guy who is doing my home theater recommended i use RBH in walls for all 7 speakers (LCR and surrounds) and then buying an acoustic screen. I like the idea and I think the look would be great, but I dont want to sacrifice sound quality. However Ive been told the RBH in-walls sound incredible. He recommended:

VM 553 for the LCR's
VM 610 for the side and rear surrounds
VA 615 for the 4 atmos speakers

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
the guy who is doing my home theater recommended i use RBH in walls for all 7 speakers (LCR and surrounds) and then buying an acoustic screen. I like the idea and I think the look would be great, but I dont want to sacrifice sound quality. However Ive been told the RBH in-walls sound incredible. He recommended:

VM 553 for the LCR's
I'll have to tag in some folks on this one. @AcuDefTechGuy is an RBH dealer and has a LOT of their speakers. He may have heard the in-walls, but I feel like he'll tell you to go towers like I am.

You can 100% do an AT screen with towers. I did for years until I got a room that it wouldn't work in. Yours is big enough to do a false wall to put everything behind and have whatever speakers you want behind your screen.

I'm sure RBH is better than what I have so I don't think you'd be going wrong with that recommendation, but I'll let others answer if they've got experience with those specific speakers.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I was going to go in-wall on my theater room build but knew from all the research I did leading up to it that actual boxed speakers will perform better. Plus you can move them around or replace them with something else if you have to. In-wall is permanent and you're locked in to that hole you cut. When going full towers and center channel up front it's good to design the area for an acoustic screen so the speakers are hidden away.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
To keep it simple, the only thing you lose with In wall speakers is Bass. But as most set ups do well with an 80 hz crossover to the subs, you should not ever notice!

I have some very aged RBH WM30 which are mounted on the wall, not inside. I have also heard quite a few other RBH's and in general really like the brand. I also have Triad In Wall Bronze speakers behind an AT screen that are wonderful as well. We have a dealers on the forum for quite a few brands and all of them are awesome - believe me, we would run off the bad ones quickly!

One thing you might consider is leaving out the height speakers for now so that you can spend more particularly on the front L/C/R speakers. Since you are using subs, you don't need big woofers in your front speakers, just make sure their specs say they go down to 80 hz, if not lower.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
To keep it simple, the only thing you lose with In wall speakers is Bass. But as most set ups do well with an 80 hz crossover to the subs, you should not ever notice!

I have some very aged RBH WM30 which are mounted on the wall, not inside. I have also heard quite a few other RBH's and in general really like the brand. I also have Triad In Wall Bronze speakers behind an AT screen that are wonderful as well. We have a dealers on the forum for quite a few brands and all of them are awesome - believe me, we would run off the bad ones quickly!

One thing you might consider is leaving out the height speakers for now so that you can spend more particularly on the front L/C/R speakers. Since you are using subs, you don't need big woofers in your front speakers, just make sure their specs say they go down to 80 hz, if not lower.
On wall versus in wall are totally different situations acoustically, requiring a different design approach.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

VM 553 for the LCR's
If you can tolerate the look of it, I would go with cabinets for the fronts at least.

In walls are a very tough design challenge. If it is sond quality you are after, you can write off any open backed speaker. Designing for a 16" stud spacing is a real compromise.

I understand that out of a dedicated room installation, in wall systems and variants are attractive.

The best approach to in walls is the false wall approach.

The huge problem with in walls is that there are significant reflections from the flat wall. I addition there are usually a whole variety of adjacent architectural issues that complicate the situation. So when you embark on any of these type of solutions, a degree of custom design is highly desirable.

Sub woofers are a difficult problem and really demand a false wall approach. This is where TLs have a huge advantage, as they can be designed with little depth, and designing an in wall TL sub with prodigious and very accurate bass becomes entirely possible.

I do understand that in a multipurpose room, where multiple family members want to enjoy the space, which often includes children and pets, that large free standing speakers, especially if you want 6 or more speakers, poses significant architectural and interior design challenges. I have to agree that discrete speakers, and Hi-Fi furniture containing multiple units looks just plain awful more often than not. I think this is the overriding issue to domestic resistance in these systems.

Every room and case study is different. The differences are pretty much always of high acoustic significance. So this really does require customization for optimal aesthetic and acoustic results.

This is where a designer/builder with aesthetic sensibilities will always win out. There is no doubt in my mind about that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For example, how would a Klipsch RP 8000F speaker preform in comparison with a Klipsch R-5502-W speaker? What measurements should I be looking for to evaluate the two? My first thought is that the tower would be louder, fuller, and generally sound better than an in-wall.

I will be using a Denon AVR 6700H to power whatever I end up buying.
Using your two examples here, and not going into the RBH conversation…(they do make excellent speakers)

What you’d get with the 8000 over the 5502 are the ability to place them for best imaging and soundstage and bass response vs IW that are stuck once installed. The 8000 are also way more sensitive and efficient (although I believe the sensitivity spec listed for both is inflated), making them easier to drive to higher levels, and the dual 8’s vs dual 5-1/4, will deliver better dynamics, even above the XO, making the argument against towers only adding more bass. Placing towers correctly(not crammed against the front wall) will also bring them closer to the LP. Considering a loss of 6db per every doubling of distance, with the less sensitive IW, the tower wins again, as they’ll be closer to you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll have to tag in some folks on this one. @AcuDefTechGuy is an RBH dealer and has a LOT of their speakers. He may have heard the in-walls, but I feel like he'll tell you to go towers like I am.

You can 100% do an AT screen with towers. I did for years until I got a room that it wouldn't work in. Yours is big enough to do a false wall to put everything behind and have whatever speakers you want behind your screen.

I'm sure RBH is better than what I have so I don't think you'd be going wrong with that recommendation, but I'll let others answer if they've got experience with those specific speakers.
Personally I do prefer towers.

But I think if we compare “apples to apples”, the in-walls and on-walls can sound practically the same as towers.

For example, the RBH SV-831 box speaker would be comparable to the SI-831 in-wall and SV-831W on-wall speakers. And if we add the SV-1212 subs to the 831 in-wall or on-wall, they would be comparable to the SVT towers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis