Will I lose info running 5.1 SACD to stereo speakers?

M

marcster

Audioholic Intern
I have a Sony DA4ES receiver running surround speakers in one room. I have two (curently unconnected) speakers in a nearby room.

I know the Sony has a second-room function, but I thought that was for running a different device in a different room, like powering a CD player in a bedroom while watching a DVD in the living room.

All I want to do is run the stereo speakers as a second set of speakers off the Sony.

So, if I'm playing, say a multichannel SACD through the Sony receiver, hook up the two speakers in the next room and switch to those speakers will I lose three channels of information? If so what's the way around that?

The DA4ES manual doesn't even mention speaker set "A" and "B" use (although there is a switch on the front for that). In fact the Sony manual is awfully thin and sketchy on setup stuff, in my opinion.

... I really love the receiver otherwise :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll venture a guess that you will only be piping the front L/R channels to the other room. About the only way I can think of around that is to have the multi channel CD player put out only two stereo channels to the receiver when you want to use the system in the multi room function.

Either that or find a receiver that allows use of all speakers in the "B" zone. I'm not actually sure that exist but if they do, there's your answer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis