Will a dimmer cause noticeable noise, interference, or issues?

J

jwg77

Audiophyte
Hello,

I was thinking about installing a dimmer (Lutron Ma estro) in place of a basic light switch into a small 'home theater' room (retasked spare bedroom) for greater control of lighting.

As I understand it, dimmers can put out some noise or RF interference. This model claims superior suppression of interference with radio and TV, but I wonder, what are the odds the dimmer could cause noise issues, interference with remotes or wi-fi, audio issues, or internet co n nection issues?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome to Audioholics.

What bulbs will you be using? That dimmer won't work with florescent bulbs.
I know it will work with incandescent and low voltage halogen bulbs and not cause noise problems.
It can't be used in a 3 or 4-way configuration unless used with its Lutron companion dimmers.
I always put them in the largest or deepest box possible; that dimmer needs room to dissipate heat.
Not sure if this is a new or retro-fit installation? If it's new, then locating the dimmer as far from your electronic equipment will help.
I'm betting you won't have issues. Make sure it has a proper ground wire.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to Audioholics.

What bulbs will you be using? That dimmer won't work with florescent bulbs.
I know it will work with incandescent and low voltage halogen bulbs and not cause noise problems.
It can't be used in a 3 or 4-way configuration unless used with its Lutron companion dimmers.
I always put them in the largest or deepest box possible; that dimmer needs room to dissipate heat.
Not sure if this is a new or retro-fit installation? If it's new, then locating the dimmer as far from your electronic equipment will help.
I'm betting you won't have issues. Make sure it has a proper ground wire.
It will make a little RF noise. I have lots of dimmers here. When first installed the Lutron Maestro dimmers in 2006 made a heck of a racket. I worked with an engineer at to get rid of most of the RF noise. The RF comes, as you can make the SCR have a zero voltage at the "zero crossing", or you have a lousy dimmer. However working together we cut the offset to the bare minimum. All the maestro dimmers were changed to that design at that time.

I have two dimmers right next to my pre pro, and no problem. However the RF is related to load. The dimmers in the large great room which handle a lot of can lights, do make just audible noise when in use. The RF radiation is related to load and length if cabling connected to the dimmer.

There are 15 maestro dimmers in this house, 4 right in the AV room, and the RF is obviously additive, and if all are turned on then that produces maximal noise.

J

jwg77

Audiophyte
Thanks Rickster, TLS.

I'll be using a pretty basic lighting setup with this dimmer. A few "type A" halogen bulbs that are shaped like plain old incandescent bulbs (manufacturer states that they are dimmable). Not exceeding about 150 watts total. I noticed when I went out to the circuit breaker to see which breaker the room's lighting was on, that both the room and it's lighting were on the same breaker switch. Which I suppose means they're on the same circuit, if I'm explaining that clearly. But, it sounds like dimmer design has come a long away and I probably shouldn't have any problems?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis