Wii and PS3 Shortage at GameStop.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
GameStop: Wii, PS3 Shortages Will Last 'For Months'
Retailer not expecting drought to end anytime soon.
by Jim Reilly

March 18, 2010 - GameStop isn't expecting the current shortage of PlayStation 3 and Wii consoles to end anytime soon. When asked during the company's investor call this morning, Executive VP of Merchandising Tony Bartel said he expects the shortages will continue into the summer months.

"Obviously it's a question we ask the platform holders constantly," said Bartel when asked about the shortages. "I can tell you that we do anticipate we will be in this situation, at least with the PlayStation 3, for another couple months unfortunately because we could sell a lot more hardware than what we have on both the PS3 and Wii platform.

"We do believe the Wii will come into stock quicker than the PS3, so we do anticipate that those shortages should abate sometime before the next couple months," he added. "But I don't have clarity as to why there is a shortage other than because of the unprecedented hardware demand in December, and I think we are still scrambling to catch up from the surge that occurred."

Sony told IGN earlier this week it plans to up PlayStation 3 supply during certain release periods for its biggest titles, including Tuesday's release of God of War III.

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter believes, however, the Wii shortage issues for Nintendo is the least of the company's problems going forward.

"Nintendo had warned us that February would be a difficult month due to supply constraints, but we believe that the problem runs deeper than that, as sales of staple titles like Wii Fit with Balance Board and Wii Play were well below historical levels," Pachter said.

"There is clearly strong demand for the PS3 at the moment due in part to its list of exclusives in early 2010 and Blu-ray compatibility. Nintendo's Wii, on the other hand, will not see any exciting exclusives until at least May and its software attach rate continues to decline."

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
yeah, that seems to be everywhere. We can't keep either of these in stock at my BBY either.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Kind of weird; as I've said before there are no shortages of PS3s around here anymore and Wiis seem to be pretty easy to find as well.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I can't find a PS3 Slim console in the city, I have found the 250GB Slim but it's $369,Now I can I find a bundle of a 120GB Slim and a game for the same price but all I would want is the console. I found these outside of Chicago.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There aren't really any bundles right now. They usually only have those around holidays, and usually mainly the end of year holidays, which is why I waited until Black Friday to get my slim. Got 2 games free and sold them to bring my out of pocket cost way down. $369 is actually pretty good for the 250. That's what Dell had them for a week ago.

Last edited:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Abt is still doing it but it's now on backorder for 30 days or more and the 250GB Slim is also on backorder for 2-4 weeks. So I guess it's official the market here went dry.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis