Wii and Panasonic Plasma issues

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Not your typical gaming question. But I hooked up our Wii to the new Panasonic GT30 plasma using the basic single video input. I know it's basic, but then the wii doesn't do HD. The colors appear to be off, specifically the green is very neon in comparison to the old projection it used to be connected to.

Plus my wife is also complaining about the sound not being the same as the old tv and hence is saying it is throwing off her rhythm when doing the Wii Fit. Ant ideas? Has anyone else seen this? Should I pony up and get the HDMI adapter cord? Route the sound through the AV?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I wasn't aware there was an HDMI adapter for the wii. There are component cables for the wii so you can at least get 480p, rather than 480i with composite.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not your typical gaming question. But I hooked up our Wii to the new Panasonic GT30 plasma using the basic single video input. I know it's basic, but then the wii doesn't do HD. The colors appear to be off, specifically the green is very neon in comparison to the old projection it used to be connected to.

Plus my wife is also complaining about the sound not being the same as the old tv and hence is saying it is throwing off her rhythm when doing the Wii Fit. Ant ideas? Has anyone else seen this? Should I pony up and get the HDMI adapter cord? Route the sound through the AV?
Can you run it through a receiver that up-converts the video? New TVs really aren't made to do well with low-res video. You did the TV's video setup for each source separately, right? If you set it up for the HDMI input, it will do absolutely nothing for the composite video input. Set it to 480i, not Auto. Play with the settings, but if they get too far off, you can always go back to the defaults, in the menu. You should also be able to correct the lip-synch issues in the menu.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
If the TV is in Vivid mode then it's no surprise that green would be neon. Try a different picture mode if you have not already. Cinema is the most accurate mode to start with on that TV.

The component video cables help a little but not a huge amount. I have setup Wii's on that exact TV and it looked fine, as fine as a Wii can look. I have never used an HDMI adapter but I fail to see how that would help. It's still the same low quality signal coming from the Wii. Panasonic generally does quite well with lower resolution signals.

Flat panels in general do not have good sound. There just isn't room in the set for very large speakers. The only real solution is some kind of external sound system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis