wife wants bose type speakers

B

blingbling

Audiophyte
first off i like to say high to everyone.

now on to my delemma.
my current setup and its a old one is
yamaha rx-v490
fronts, cerwin-vega 380se
center, yamaha ns-ac85
rears, polk audio m5

the problem is my wife wants some small cute like bose speakers but i still want quality sound, what do you all recomend ?

personally i love my vegas and would love to see what they could do with a real amp kicking them at there rated 4 ohms but thats no gonna happen.

i am also going to be upgrading to a new reciever and would like to go the route of the hdmi connector but yamaha doesnt have one yet that im aware of ore at least in my sub g-note price.

also my buget on the replacement speakers is 1500< i would realy like to be able to listen to them first so if you recomend something please tell my where i can hear them.

also should i be conserned with thx certified speakers? as i will probly get a thx yamaha reciever within the next year?

last but not least the replacement speakers dont have to be cube size, just not huge so i can hide them .

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Hey blingbling, maybe not as tiny as the Bose acoustimass type cube speakers, but you can probably get away with small mini-monitor speakers in conjunction with a subwoofer.

My new favorite is the NHT model SB-1 which measures 6" wide by 10" tall. The Paradigm Atoms are getting good reviews in magazines, but I haven't personally heard them yet.

Don'te forget that chic stands are an important part of selling your wife on cute speakers.

Don't be concerned with TXH certification, especially on speakers. Not only do many great products opt not to pay to have it, but many products that do will not necessarily be to your personal liking.

Good luck, and listen to EVERY speaker you can.

B

blingbling

Audiophyte
duffinator, thoes 60's look sweet for the price and i still can get my panasonic plazma :) ill need to get out and listen to them. how does the 100's sound to you ?

gregz, ill look into the NHT model SB-1 and the Paradigm Atoms. and yes mini-monitor speakers will fit the bill.

now time to start reading the reviews,

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've listened to the 60's at my local Magnolia Hi-Fi several times and in that price range ($650) I like them compared to the Energy, Athena, Polk, and Bose systems. The build construction is superior to Bose stuff. I have not listened to the speakers Gregz mentioned.

As for the 100's, my friend has them connected to an older Yamaha that is about 6 years old with 100 watts/ch, I do not know the model number. Anyway, I have always been impressed with the sound. He upgraded the sub to a larger Def Tech about two years ago and it made a noticeable difference. I believe the 100's are at least twice as much as the 60's, probably right in your budget :D Oh, and the 100's are pretty cool looking as well. They come with mounting plates and have an angeled top (or bottom). One of the cleaner looking sat systems out there IMO.

Give them a listen and report back.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
AS mentioned, Def Tech, Polk, Athena, Energy (love them) all offer excellent sat systems. Also you could look into Boston, Paradigm, Gallo, Infinity. Many a good choice that is not Bose!

B

blingbling

Audiophyte
nm2285, i swear i wont get bose.

i used to have boston's in my car back int the late 80's and they sounded superb :)

im gonna give the paragram dealer in gainsville a call today and sea what they carry, hopefully they have there new cinama series setup so i can listen to them, ive been reading reviews about the paragrams and all i can say is wow. they must be great. too bad its a 2hour drive to hear them, reminder must bring cash whith me.

B

blingbling

Audiophyte
rgriffin25, the Athena Micra 6 review didnt blow me away like the paragram's but i will stop by worstbuy and give them a listen.

JVC

JVC

Banned
Take her to a few of the online forums, and show her what is said about Bose........
Maybe she'll change her mind, when she realizes you don't get your money's worth with them.
Good luck!

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Bling, try my approach. I tell my wife she can't choose anything she knows nothing about. When she learns as much about audio/video than I, then she can choose. Until that day she can pick the furniture. :)

Good luck

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
"ive been reading reviews about the paragrams and all i can say is wow. "

Although the Paradigms are superb speakers, don't expect them to be so far and above everything else out there. You have to remember, there are many very capable speaker companies. I think the Paradigms are great, but I also love Energy and some other brands. One of these sets will speak to you!

Leprkon:
Do you have any experience with those Velodynes? Like to have an idea of how they are. I just referred my friend to them figuring the parts are basically worth the price.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
nm2285 said:
"ive been reading reviews about the paragrams and all i can say is wow. "

Leprkon:
Do you have any experience with those Velodynes? Like to have an idea of how they are. I just referred my friend to them figuring the parts are basically worth the price.
like most people, I've only heard the marvelous Vel subs. I would imagine that a small company with a reputation to keep up would at least build competent systems that in any case has pieceparts of better quality than Bose.

I'm giving a set for someone for Christmas myself, so I can tell you for sure in a couple of week. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis