R

Righteousdae

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, so we're setting up our new lounge, and need to buy a Subwoofer apparently. We have an 86" samsung tv attached to a Marantz PM6006 Amp via an optical cable, and 4 x B&W Ceiling Speakers CCM362's running off A & B channels.
We love our movies, but also need an awesome sound when just listening to the stereo. Hubby plays Bass so its the rich thumping Bass sound we really want.
Very grateful for any advice.

Thank you

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure how you ended up with a stereo receiver in your setup instead of a surround receiver with proper bass management and a LFE (subwoofer) output. But, you should list your budget as well as the size of your room and if there are any size restrictions/location restrictions which may come into play.

SVS is always a common brand which is suggested for their high quality at reasonable prices for subwoofers. You will need to run the 'RECORD OUT' lines to the subwoofer, and hopefully the Marantz will send audio through those outputs using the digital input from the TV. I expect it will without issue. All bass management will need to occur within the subwoofer.

For standard stereo listening, the Marantz is fine, but it really limits you in a more standard surround sound setup. You get zero benefit from surround sound in movies and TV viewing, and the lack of bass management isn't a good thing. But, if you are happy, then keep rolling with it I suppose.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

A couple of things matter up front:

1) Budget.

2) Size constraints. Good subs are commonly big. How much space can be taken up, and what can you live with seeing in the room. A big good sub makes a statement with its size and appearance, so this matters a ton unless you're totally utilitarian for audio.

3) Connection options. Your source material to have a sub connected matters a lot. Old options had the speaker wires coming through and then out again to get the signal out of them for the sub. Newer stuff uses unbalanced RCA or XLR. What connections do you need to include a sub into your source?

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Duplicating stereo pairs of speakers in your ceiling certainly isn't a good way to get the best audio. In a way am surprised the speakers/amp combo work well due impedance load using A&B simultaneously like that. Having an amp without any facility for a sub leaves you with only subs that can be connected by speaker level (aka high level) inputs. Budget would help and what you might be willing to change for better audio.....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This receiver has no preouts except for the record out which are separate stereo, which means it will not be 100% simple to add a sub.

I've had a number of Marantz PMs and they do tend to have stout enough amp sections to handle 2 sets of speakers, just not 2 sets of demanding speakers. I still would not recommend both at the same time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis