Why do i prefer my cheaper can? I'm baffled.

G

GChesters

Audiophyte
Hi guys.

I'm just starting out in this endless strive for great sounding music.

After having bought a dac amp and a pair of HD 598 SR's I decided to buy a second pair of cans to try and start to identify different sounds and qualities. I opted for a pair of AKG K92's. This is all I can afford at the moment.

I've listened with both to an array of music genres and prefer the cheaper AKG's. Everything seems more detailed with better bass with them.

Can anyone explain why i'm really enjoying them AKG's as opposed to the Sennheisers? And, would it help if i upgraded my 598 pads to solve the bass issue? Also just a basic rundown on how I should be listening to music with regard to bass high and trebles?

Many thanks in anticipation.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Can anyone explain why i'm really enjoying them AKG's as opposed to the Sennheisers?

And, would it help if i upgraded my 598 pads to solve the bass issue?

Also just a basic rundown on how I should be listening to music with regard to bass high and trebles?
Can anyone explain why you're really enjoying the akg's over the sennheiser's - I can't. It's your preference it's your personal preference everybody has a different one

I've never heard of upgrading ear pads to solve a base issue I've never heard of that maybe I'm wrong.

As far as how you're supposed to be listening to music again that's a personal preference I personally like my headphones and speakers to be as neutral as possible without any coloration so I can hear exactly what the sound Engineers intended me to hear how they wanted me to hear it

Next time you want a great set of cans I recommend the Sony MDR-7506

G

GChesters

Audiophyte
Thanks for your prompt reply. I suppose i'm getting a bit baffled with all the technical talk of great mids and highs, rolling bass etc. I don't know where to start really.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your prompt reply. I suppose i'm getting a bit baffled with all the technical talk of great mids and highs, rolling bass etc. I don't know where to start really.
I don't know exactly what you're looking for but know this.
Headphones/Cans = $$$
51855cf6a8c77f74c19bb06abdb76103.jpg

Last edited:
G

genewiseman

Audiophyte
I would guess that the reason you like the cheaper headphones is that they are closed back. Closed back headphones will usually have more bass than open back headphones like your 598's. Open back headphones will give you a much more open sound but it can sound thin and trebley until you get used to it. You will probably hear more detail with the 598's but you won't get the same bass as the AKG's. You might try a higher end closed back headphone if that's the sound you enjoy. Remember, it's all just personal preference.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi guys.

I'm just starting out in this endless strive for great sounding music.

After having bought a dac amp and a pair of HD 598 SR's I decided to buy a second pair of cans to try and start to identify different sounds and qualities. I opted for a pair of AKG K92's. This is all I can afford at the moment.

I've listened with both to an array of music genres and prefer the cheaper AKG's. Everything seems more detailed with better bass with them.

Can anyone explain why i'm really enjoying them AKG's as opposed to the Sennheisers? And, would it help if i upgraded my 598 pads to solve the bass issue? Also just a basic rundown on how I should be listening to music with regard to bass high and trebles?

Many thanks in anticipation.
First, you are mistaking "price" for "quality", and that is not always the case!

The HD598 is a great headphone, but it is well known that it just doesn't dig deep in the bass region. Sins of omission vs. sins of commission!

The next step up for the Senns are a better headphone with deeper base, the HD6xx series (I actually have the 598SE and the HD6xx from massdrop, but I'm basically just saying the "600" series).

I also have a set of AKG 845BT that I use the most, simply b/c they have wireless BT, and a set of AKG7xx.

ALL of these (Senn 598, HD6xx, AKG845BT, 7xx) are very good cans! However, I find that the 6xx are my favorites from a pure sound quality perspective.

At the end of the day, everyone has a different set of ears sensitive to different freqs, and a different subjective opinion. So, if you found a cheap set of cans that you love, go with it. Heck, buy a spare if they are cheap enough.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
AKG is owned by Harman. Their research on listener preference is second to none, so I am not at all surprised!

Bass performance with Over ear or In ear headphones is mostly dependent on the seal of the headphone around the ear, or in the canal. So a proper fit is essential!

G

GChesters

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for their helpful replies, appreciated.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
AKG is owned by Harman. Their research on listener preference is second to none, so I am not at all surprised!

Bass performance with Over ear or In ear headphones is mostly dependent on the seal of the headphone around the ear, or in the canal. So a proper fit is essential!
AKG's quality has slip since they moved manufacturing to China not by much but it's not what it used to be we nearly all manufacturing was in Austria.

I know they got Manufacturing in India and Korea and other parts of the world not too sure how much of it is in those countries

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, I read the article(twice) I don’t understand what the operative numbers are when comparing headphones.
What do you mean by operative numbers? Do you mean what to look for in measurements to check for accurate sound reproduction?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK. There has been a lot of research that has shown that, as with loudspeakers, most people prefer an accurate sound in headphones. The problem is that our ears alter the response of headphones, so they can't be measured like loudspeakers with an omnipolar mic in free space. They have to be measured in a system that emulates ear physiology. That is expensive to do, but it can be done. So what does a flat frequency response look like in-ear (at the tympanic membrane)? It looks like the solid curve in the frequency response chart part of these graphs:

The closer you can have headphones measure to that curve, the more accurate they are as sound reproduction devices, at least for human hearing anatomy. That is like a flat response for a loudspeaker. The measurements done on headphones thus far have shown that you are no more likely to hit that curve with a $1000 headphone set than a $50 headphone set, even though that response is not only closest to accuracy but also what most people happen to prefer. Were I shopping for headphones, I would look for the most comfortable set that uses that curve as a target response. Price is irrelevant.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
AKG's quality has slip since they moved manufacturing to China not by much but it's not what it used to be we nearly all manufacturing was in Austria.

I know they got Manufacturing in India and Korea and other parts of the world not too sure how much of it is in those countries
Do you have a citation for claiming their quality has slipped? This thread is from someone who is wondering why they prefer the less expensive AKG over Sennheiser.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

My 7xx were made in Ireland, and they claim that they match drivers for each set of cans for the 7xx (I can't remember for sure, but I think they claim to measure and match drivers to <1dB).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis