Why did plasma go extinct.??

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don’t count the ones made for the super rich , I’m taking consumer marker and entry level or high level of tv under 5 grand.
Kuro was supposed to be one of the best tv
ever made , Samsung had good plasma too.
Why did they go extinct despite being superior to even today’s led ? And qled tv??
I was curious why this happened as my led tv is just a disappointing model not hardly any better then my 2011 40” Sony lcd and worse for dvd ?

Plasma had burn in issues originally but later fixed ?
Top contrast.
It might had struggled In Bright rooms though ?
R.I.P. all the dead tv technology along with plasma .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally more expensive to make than lcd....plus power/weight concerns...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Plasma TVs are not all dead. My Panasonic is 10 years old and still works flawlessly. I'm sure there are several members here who own some of them that are still going strong and reliable. I am not so sure about the Pioneer ones. Have they been as reliable?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're gonna have to pry my plasmas out of my dead hands :) Maybe someday if OLED becomes better....

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
You're gonna have to pry my plasmas out of my dead hands :) Maybe someday if OLED becomes better....
I'm somewhat with you as I still use my Pio 151 as my main display, but not sure where you come from on OLED not already surpassing plasmas. Most reviews I have read say they already do most everything better than the plasmas of old. In my observation the top displays of today surpass my Pio a fair bit but I'm still not giving it up. Not enough 4k/HDR content yet for me.
I just bought a new JVC RS2000 for the theater but that's a whole different animal.
What do you not think the top OLED displays can't do better than your plasmas?

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Plasma TV were expensive to produce and thus they had bad profit margin as they had to compete with LED TV prices. I have both Plasma and OLED and I must say that OLED is really close to plasma tho I still prefer the color reproduction of my Plasma over OLED, other that that I think OLED is just as good as my Plasma TV and in some aspects even better. Samsung is now bringing microLED TV to market that should be just as good as OLED or even better. So we are getting back to Plasmas quality but it has taken some time.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Micro LED has a loooong way to go before it becomes mainstream. All the MLED displays I've seen at shows cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I believe that eventually this technology will supplant projection for dedicated theaters, but that's many years into the future.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The Plasma TVs are not all dead. My Panasonic is 10 years old and still works flawlessly. I'm sure there are several members here who own some of them that are still going strong and reliable. I am not so sure about the Pioneer ones. Have they been as reliable?
I had never even heard of micro led it only cost so much because they are not mass produced test prototypes. First 8k screen was what $159k or more ?
I do not mean all the screens are broke I mean consumer models are not available to buy . !!

Free the reptile aliens

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm somewhat with you as I still use my Pio 151 as my main display, but not sure where you come from on OLED not already surpassing plasmas. Most reviews I have read say they already do most everything better than the plasmas of old. In my observation the top displays of today surpass my Pio a fair bit but I'm still not giving it up. Not enough 4k/HDR content yet for me.
I just bought a new JVC RS2000 for the theater but that's a whole different animal.
What do you not think the top OLED displays can't do better than your plasmas?
Price, burn-in off the top of my head. Don't need 4k myself either.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Price, burn-in off the top of my head. Don't need 4k myself either.
So even though the last final models solved most the burn in , it killed the screen type for good ? Like death or crt tv , plasma had a fast refresh rate 600hz.

Free the reptile aliens

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So even though the last final models solved most the burn in , it killed the screen type for good ? Like death or crt tv , plasma had a fast refresh rate 600hz.

Free the reptile aliens
Still using Pioneer plasma, news chrons, gaming etc, zero burn in .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was speaking of the OLEDs. Plasma subfield 600hz wasn't a refresh rate in the sense of the LCD sets, not comparable.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I was speaking of the OLEDs. Plasma subfield 600hz wasn't a refresh rate in the sense of the LCD sets, not comparable.
Oh do 240 hz sets still exist?
So plasma is was just less profitable - and poor marketing killed the format ? Despite being superior to oled and led for movies .

Free the reptile aliens

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So plasma is was just less profitable - and poor marketing killed the format ? Despite being superior to oled and led for movies .

Free the reptile aliens
From what I've read it was largely financial, particularly in upscaling to larger screens/4k format. LCD was just cheaper and probably displayed in a store better as well due to brightness levels. OLED can be better than LCD, and may have ironed out most of the issues, but....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
From what I've read it was largely financial, particularly in upscaling to larger screens/4k format. LCD was just cheaper and probably displayed in a store better as well due to brightness levels. OLED can be better than LCD, and may have ironed out most of the issues, but....
Yeah plasma are much costlier at big size kuro was 6-7 grand I never could afford one .

Free the reptile aliens

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Samsung is working on a hybrid technology called QD-OLED that features a much brighter OLED display with the addition of Quantum Dots. Don't know when it will be available, but that's what I'm waiting for. Until then my 11 year old Pioneer Plasma's will hopefully still be running.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Free the reptile aliens
there aren't any real 240Hz refresh LED/LCD panels. Only native 60hz or native 120hz. 240hz is a spoofed up number.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Pretty much. Plasmas always had a better picture, but they get hot and cost a bit more to run for the consumer side. On the manufacturing side you are correct, it costs more to build them and re-tooling for 4k wasn't something they were going to do since plasma had already been falling out of favor for many years. I think at that point Panasonic was the only one making them anyway.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Samsung is working on a hybrid technology called QD-OLED that features a much brighter OLED display with the addition of Quantum Dots. Don't know when it will be available, but that's what I'm waiting for. Until then my 11 year old Pioneer Plasma's will hopefully still be running.
oh can’t wait for that technology gladly go back to Samsung . Searching everywhere no luck finding my wallet . Anywere car , bedroom . Inside the couch , behind it . Sucks , need technology to locate it haha.

They made A half backed qled haha ? Real shame .
Qled or u
Quantum dot is a mythological creature like Sasquatch!!

Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis