Why buy bose when you can buy Anthony Gallo?

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
http://www.avrev.com/equip/gallomicro/index.html

I was reading this review over at audio revolution and thought why would someone waste money on bose when Anthony Gallo makes a superior package? If people want to keep there speakers small and out of place they no longer have to sacrifice any sound with bose because the Anthony Gallo series does one hell of a job.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Anthony Gallo?

Do you think the average consumer who buys Bose has ever heard of Anthony Gallo? People buy Bose because they've heard of Bose. I don't think they put a lot of research into their decision.

You could have avoided another futile Bose standoff thread by simply recommending these speakers for anyone looking for a small profile speaker system.

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, the Anthony Gallo's are nice, but they have limited usage and you have to buy everything seperate. I.e. the different stands, wire management, even the stupid little isolator ring so the speakers don't roll off of the table or shelf you put them on. Besides that they don't have much better response or sound than Bose, and you are going to have to get sub for the low and mid coverage. I have to give them an A+ on the coolness scale, and that thier Reference3 speakers look awesome. However, they are hard to find and rather pricey for a new marketed speaker company. If it is the WAF your after then maybe, but otherwise I tell my clients to go with something that is time tested and get more bang for the buck.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Anthony Gallo only makes speakers. Bose makes the whole shebang. Not that I'm trying to defend Bose, but they offer total package systems.

That said, you can of course, be REALLY stupid and buy just the Acousticrap speakers without the Bose control center thing.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
alandamp said:
You could have avoided another futile Bose standoff thread by simply recommending these speakers for anyone looking for a small profile speaker system.
Too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, I like to quote myself.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Gallo doesn't have the Bose advertising budget.

His speakers are EXCELLENT.

J

JerryElbow

Enthusiast
Bose is a line that audiophiles love to trash, but they do a few things right. First, they are a step up from the speakers built into the TVs that the majority of non-audiophiles own (but then, what wouldn't be?). Second, they advertise. A lot. It's been proven over and over that you can sell just about anything if you push it hard enough in print and/or on television. Heck, if that wasn't true, none of the garbage that QVC or the Home Shopping Network or their ilk would ever sell. Third, their speakers aren't badly built (you can argue design all you want, I'm talking about construction quality). They are put together about as well as most mainline manufacturer's speakers. Finally, they put on an impressive demonstration at their stores. If you get a chance, go to a Bose store and take in the demonstration in their little theater. They do a pretty good job of explaining the concepts of subwoofers and satellite speakers, multi-channel sound and automatic equalization to non-technoids. If you're a non-audiophile and are used to all your sound coming out of the TV itself, this can be pretty amazing. If you're an audiophile, you'll start picking on all the things that audiophiles hate about Bose speakers.

That said, would I give up my Onix Rockets and SVS sub for some Bose, any Bose? Only if I'd already gone deaf, but that's just the audiophile in me. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Well, I'd argue if they are of good construction quality. They use cheap paper cones for one thing.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Their construction quality is one of the worst in the industry.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Besides that they don't have much better response or sound than Bose, and you are going to have to get sub for the low and mid coverage.
The Anthony Gallo setup would slaughter any bose setup. As for the sub, no ****? That is what the system is designed for.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....make a circle with your thumb against the tip of your forefinger....look at it....now slide the forefinger down and cut the circle in half....now, that's the size of a Bose cube's imaging, even though the overall presence is actually quite decent....Bose is going to continue, to sell cube systems, with sub, sure, "we got one of them there subs, two", no matter what is said, anywhere.....

....the 901's were a Triumph Bonneville....early....then came the amazing two-way imaging, and there's THE current imaging, immho.....

.....I quit....at least till dark, haha....gonna' go to the Mall....don't look like I'll work this weekend....uphill, boys.....

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Privateer said:
The Anthony Gallo setup would slaughter any bose setup. As for the sub, no ****? That is what the system is designed for.
Privateer, always the antagonist....

T

twheeloc

Audioholic Intern
Terminology

Even Bose doesn't call that box a sub....it's a Bass Module :rolleyes:

inmypjs

inmypjs

Junior Audioholic
Ok...so what are these? Is this a Gallo Acoustics knock-off?

http://www.orbaudio.com/

Also, I heard more praises for the Mirage Omnisats (and/or Nanosats). It's also been compared against the Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Micro (and/or A'Diva). Perhaps you should give it more consideration.

http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20040201.htm
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2971
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5944

Gallo Acoustics, however, came out with a new Ti models that would phase out the older Micro and A'Diva. Perhaps they have improved? I'm more curious about their Due model and their TR-1/TR-2 subwoofers.

Last edited:
D

dcrot1

Enthusiast
Lol, I worked at a Best Buy for 6 years and even at Best Buy, Bose was a huge joke...., All highs, no lows... MUST BE BOSE!!!! Hell there wasn't much I wouldn't recommend at BBY over Bose...., I would probably have even recommended Sony over Bose and I friggin HATE SONY AUDIO PRODUCTS!!!!

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
dcrot1 said:
Lol, I worked at a Best Buy for 6 years and even at Best Buy, Bose was a huge joke...., All highs, no lows... MUST BE BOSE!!!! Hell there wasn't much I wouldn't recommend at BBY over Bose...., I would probably have even recommended Sony over Bose and I friggin HATE SONY AUDIO PRODUCTS!!!!
.....but they make good TV's, Dcrot1....saturated colors and contrast that entrance you for a pretty good while, like six years for me....

.....but that warm picture costs you....Sony's have a rep for running hot....that was the deciding factor in the TV I watch now, that's a 35 tube....(booing mixed with weird whistles)....I know, I know, but it still does a GREAT job and honestly looks as good as it did new 13 years ago....Mitsubishi, had a rep for running cooler, probably still does.....

.....I had a 27 Sony before the Mitsubishi though, and my next one will hopefully be a plasma Sony 42, and that's all I could go....a year or so ago, Sony's 61 inch plasma, could be bought, "online", best price, of $19,000....there's a reason for that, Gentlemen.....

....they may not last quite as long, but mercy, the picture I got for about 6 years.....

.....edit....just curious, was anyone thrilled back about '79 thru '85, with a Sylvania Super-Set Console?....listen, Love Boat at 8, and Fantasy Island at 9, were joyously awaited at my house, trust me....that set was wonderful....then came Sony....I quit lookin' after the Sony....must be love....I quit....

.....gone to ride sickle around Little Rock....late at night in the Summer is the best for around town, with little traffic, and more chances to look at colors....and stuff....'nite.......

Last edited:
R

rumble

Audioholic
Last week I found myself wandering around a Bose store that wasn't very busy and ended up being invited to experience their home theater demo. The demo room was set up using their Lifestyle 48 system - 5 cubes, a base module and the dvd/tuner/amplifier device. Outlet store price for this system was $3600.

I went into this not expecting much from their speakers but I also knew that the room and demo material would be optimized to show their system in the best possible conditions and it should sound at least decent.

I would have to describe the system as sounding harsh. By the end of the demo I was not comfortable listening to dialog. Also they had the sound level set very high wich may have caused much of the problems I heard. The poor cubes were being driven beyond their capabilities in order to impress me with a wall of blaring distorted sound. I believe they think that mose people will equate a loud sounding system as one this is good.

Also the demo material contained very little high or low frequency sounds. One noteable exception was a scene from Master and Commander when they are practicing shooting the cannons. I really paid close attention during the broad side shooting of the cannons for the low frequencly impact. I was disappointed; the base module did not produce much at all during this scene.

After the demo was finished a very excited sales person went over how small everything was and how great it all sounded. I didn't want to break the cheery mood by complaining so I replied with, "It's something all right!"

I also asked the sales person if the equipment was THX certified and the response was that no it was not and the Bose felt THX certification was a waste of money and that the consumer would only have to pay more for the product. After looking at the $3600 price tag I'm sure glad Bose is doing all it can to keep the prices down.

The feature that stores a couple of hundred cd's of music on the units hard drive is pretty neat. But of course the files are stored in a proprietary format and I don't think you can do much with them. I already do something like this on my pc so it's not something I would use anyway.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this system to anyone. If you want a system that doesn't take up much room, save $3600 and use the speakers built into your tv.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis