Why built in HD tuner???

J

JCX

Audiophyte
i dont get why a built in HD tuner is needed. in a year or two, all set top boxes will also act as HD tuners, and if you need one of these to access program guides, VOD, etc, then the built in tuner is usless.
cable card compatible TVs are one-way right now, so when those two-way cards are out today's cable card TVs will not be compatible with 2-way cards.
what will i miss if i buy an HD ready TV now w/o the built in tuner - the few over-the-air programs currently available, and a little less clutter?
i'm sure you can tell i'm pretty new to this, but this is what i understand so far. what is the big advantage to built in tuner that i'm missing??? thnx.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Hope this Helps

If you buy the TV with the built in tuner your HD programing could be free. That is if you live in an area where you can get HD over the air. THe only other thing you would need would be an UHF antenna. You can usually save a little cash getting the TV with the tuner. (At work, we have 2- 32" Zenith HDTVs, one with a tuner and the other w/o. You only have to pay $100 more for the one with the HD tuner. We sell the Set-top tuners for $300. So in this case you would save $200.) At this point it really does you no good with cable or satellite HD. You will have to buy or rent their hardware even if you have it built in.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You pretty much have it figured out already. It is almost a gimmick - but, to a lot of people, all they want is regular cable plus HD programming plus DVD. So, they don't want a digital cable box or all the expenses associated with it.

So, the OTA (over the air) HD tuner built into the set allows them to get their HD channels for free, then they just use their regular cable box, or cable ready feature of the plasma for tuning. Add a DVD player and a lot of people are 100% satisfied. They can watch the game in HD on Monday night, then watch a movie with the kids on Saturday night.

The options are to just get a HD compatible monitor. This has no built in tuner, or no built in HD tuner. You can then hook whatever tuner you would like to up to the display and watch to your hearts content. Of course, you need to find a place to put the set top box - because set top doesn't really apply to plasmas. But, you have the latest technology and can upgrade it more easily.

It's a personal decision what you end up with. I went without the built in tuner and saved some cash as I knew I was going to use HD cable w/DVR.

soundjunkie

soundjunkie

Audioholic Intern
From what I've read lately, the standard of HD TV keeps getting pushed out. Now they're saying 2009, and maybe later! How much technology will change between that time? A bunch! At least right now with a seperate tuner, you can upgrade, or update, as technology develops. Also, just how much HD do you watch OTA? If mainly DVD's, then no need for the tuner.

It's all a guessing game, and all boils down to your personal preference! :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There is another reason favoring a tv with a built-in HD tuner that has not yet been mentioned.

PIP/POP/Split-screen etc. Alot of tvs cannot display two HD signals in PIP mode with only one tuner as a source. If your tv has a built-in HD tuner (and antenna as mentioned above for OTA signals) and you have a set-top box, you can get PIP where both windows are displaying HD signals.

All new tvs greater than 36" (or 42" can't remember) must have a built-in digital tuner (atsc) by July. So the manufacturers of HD capable displays, throw in the HD tuner too because they will have to eventually anyway. If the price differential is minimal, I'd get the one with a tuner. It just may come in handy someday.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis