Why are most AVR's faceplates in the US all in black aluminum instead of gold or silver?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Most AVRs look alike maybe the same vendor makes them.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Black matches better with most decor.

I have 2 Silver HTPC cases that look like big amps.

When I bought them ($500 for each case), I had a choice between black or silver. I thought silver would look more expensive or high-end than black.

But if I could do it over again, I would get the black cases because black matches better with most decor.

I think you're silver HTPC's look really sharp. Brand/model? I'd be more than happy to take them off you're hands at a discount. :p

Outside of the Marantz AVR's I think the Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo/Anthem models are duller than dirt and I own a whole bunch of Yammie's.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I read an interesting discussion on this over at AVS Forum, but I cannot seem to find it (Google is not my friend today). According to the the person in the know, during the earlier audio days, a silver finish was common and black was introduced as a "luxury" finish and was perceived as "higher end". Now that black has become ubiquitous, in certain applications, silver may be seen as more luxurious.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Black matches better with most decor.

I have 2 Silver HTPC cases that look like big amps.

When I bought them ($500 for each case), I had a choice between black or silver. I thought silver would look more expensive or high-end than black.

But if I could do it over again, I would get the black cases because black matches better with most decor.

You ever miss the horde of speakers? :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Although color choice maybe market driven, Snakeyes also mentioned something notable. Black disappears better in HT applications, something one really needs. The last thing I want to see is ambient light glare being reflected from the face plate.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Although color choice maybe market driven, Snakeyes also mentioned something notable. Black disappears better in HT applications, something one really needs. The last thing I want to see is ambient light glare being reflected from the face plate.
While that maybe true in some instances/brand, the early Yamaha R-90 that I owned for quite a while never threw off any reflection that I can think of. I had it placed in the on the right hand-side of the enetertainment center under the TV. Similar to a matte silver finish.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis