Whole home outdoor stereo system

360mitch

Audiophyte
I am getting ready to install a whole home outdoor 0.stereo sytem and looking for advice on connecting everything. I am adding 5 zones for background music off zone B of the home theatre system. Here is a list of my current components and speakers.
Onkyo TX NR696 Reciever (Zone B)
Denon PMA2000R Amplifier (It is old and looking at Niles Si-2100 or Si-2150)
Niles HDL-6 Speaker selector (Thought was to eliminate and use Monoprice 8 Zone Single Input Speaker Distribution Hub)
2 each OSD Audio 100W Impedance Matching in Wall Whole House Volume Control Rotary Knob White SVC100
3 each Monoprice 108240 RMS 100W Outdoor Speaker Volume Controller
14/4 and 14/2 wire
5 pair Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers

Any advice greatly appreciated.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am getting ready to install a whole home outdoor 0.stereo sytem and looking for advice on connecting everything. I am adding 5 zones for background music off zone B of the home theatre system. Here is a list of my current components and speakers.
Onkyo TX NR696 Reciever (Zone B)
Denon PMA2000R Amplifier (It is old and looking at Niles Si-2100 or Si-2150)
Niles HDL-6 Speaker selector (Thought was to eliminate and use Monoprice 8 Zone Single Input Speaker Distribution Hub)
2 each OSD Audio 100W Impedance Matching in Wall Whole House Volume Control Rotary Knob White SVC100
3 each Monoprice 108240 RMS 100W Outdoor Speaker Volume Controller
14/4 and 14/2 wire
5 pair Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Can you do 4 zones? If I were diong this, I would skip the selector and volume controls, especially if they would be in a place that's easily accessed while using the system because the controls waste energy and you end up sharing the amplifier's power among the speakers, so 100W or 150W channel means that each speaker can receive 20W or 30W, max (more or less, depending on the amplifier's abilities with dynamics and load).

The pieces below would result in higher output and more flexibility- if some speakers need to be louder, you can bridge four channels to provide about double the power-

360mitch

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice. I like the audio channel amplifier. As for the volume controls, I really would like to have control at each zone. Hot tub area, Fire Place area, Front Porch and so on. For years we have been going back to the stereo to adjust outdoor volume. My wife especially and I want be able to control the volume when sitting at a zone. She says 5 zones, not 4. I support her stance because I get to spend money on stereo equipment.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
She says 5 zones, not 4. I support her stance because I get to spend money on stereo equipment.
Oh, I so feel this. This is literally the reason there are a pair of Belle Klipsch in my living room right now. :D

I'm not going to pretend to understand your outdoor layout well enough to make any judgments, but I have to wonder whether a fold-to-mono setup wouldn't be more efficacious in terms of entertaining guests. I suppose if the speakers are high enough in the air in all locations, there's little risk of someone getting stuck in front of one speaker out of a pair and having the weird sonic experience of, for example, only hearing the left channel of The Who's "Eminence Front".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis