Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So my local Wal-Mart employs this girl in her mid 20’s who has gone above and beyond her laughable position of minute authority to demean me twice. Let me preface this by saying I do a decent amount of business online buying and selling audio gear and keep an isolated Wal-Mart prepaid debit card loaded with the proceeds and funds for future purchases so ebay, PayPal, etc don’t have my personal savings and checking account numbers and it also allows me to completely separate those funds from household expenses and adulting type expenditures. That being said at least 2-3 times a month for the last 2 years I’ve gone to that Wal-Mart and deposited $200-$500 onto that card, I’ve never had an issue with any employees in the process of doing this until the day I ran into this future Only Fans star. I went to put $400 on the card and she asked me for ID, which has never happened before. Regardless I gave her my license and she stated she can’t take it as it has a tiny crack in it the size of a peanut that I had taped over. I explained to her I’ve done this dozens of times and never been asked for ID. She replied in her most professional tone that it’s company policy to ID anyone loading cash onto a card and that ID cannot be altered in anyway. I explained to her that same license was completely acceptable for me to purchase multiple firearms, dozens of traffic stops and even getting a concealed carry license. I further explained that laws set in place by our State and Federal government in regards to items as serious as firearms cannot be more lax in terms of their acceptance of IDs than a nationwide chain of glorified K-Marts. I told her to call her manager and he clearly stated he’s never heard of such a policy and to process my transaction. Three weeks later I went back and she was working at the register next to where I went to do my business and she went out of her way to tell the cashier “Don’t put that through for him I’ve already told him we don’t accept his ID and he tried this a few weeks ago” to which I had to remind her what the outcome of that situation was. Not only is this embarrassing but at this point I’m getting agitated. I’m a respectful person but you better god damn believe a Wal-Mart employee isn’t going to make me feel uncomfortable. Again we got her manager and I watched her do the same transaction she denied me without asking for ID from the guy so I called her on it. She said and I quote “All you foreigners come in here trying to put money on these cards you scam from hard working Americans like myself and I’m sick of it” I’m Korean by the way. Anyway at this point I had enough I told her “You ignorant EBT slug pump. When you were stealing Newport’s from your mom while she was passed out from the heavy night of crack use she just endured I was in another god damn country destroying people who actually want to do you “Americans” harm. You’ve never made a single selfless sacrifice for this nation nevermind another human being and you have the balls to call me a foreigner? Let me explain how you fit in here in America. When immigrants come here they look at someone like you and they think to themselves “You know we may have just fled a land where genocide, famine and death were a daily occurrence but at least we know the pinnacle of our existence won’t be cashing a $390 paycheck at the end of the week. You do understand that the self checkout area can do 95% of your daily tasks more efficiently correct?” That’s it, I left after that. I hate Wal-Mart.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So my local Wal-Mart employs this girl in her mid 20’s who has gone above and beyond her laughable position of minute authority to demean me twice. Let me preface this by saying I do a decent amount of business online buying and selling audio gear and keep an isolated Wal-Mart prepaid debit card loaded with the proceeds and funds for future purchases so ebay, PayPal, etc don’t have my personal savings and checking account numbers and it also allows me to completely separate those funds from household expenses and adulting type expenditures. That being said at least 2-3 times a month for the last 2 years I’ve gone to that Wal-Mart and deposited $200-$500 onto that card, I’ve never had an issue with any employees in the process of doing this until the day I ran into this future Only Fans star. I went to put $400 on the card and she asked me for ID, which has never happened before. Regardless I gave her my license and she stated she can’t take it as it has a tiny crack in it the size of a peanut that I had taped over. I explained to her I’ve done this dozens of times and never been asked for ID. She replied in her most professional tone that it’s company policy to ID anyone loading cash onto a card and that ID cannot be altered in anyway. I explained to her that same license was completely acceptable for me to purchase multiple firearms, dozens of traffic stops and even getting a concealed carry license. I further explained that laws set in place by our State and Federal government in regards to items as serious as firearms cannot be more lax in terms of their acceptance of IDs than a nationwide chain of glorified K-Marts. I told her to call her manager and he clearly stated he’s never heard of such a policy and to process my transaction. Three weeks later I went back and she was working at the register next to where I went to do my business and she went out of her way to tell the cashier “Don’t put that through for him I’ve already told him we don’t accept his ID and he tried this a few weeks ago” to which I had to remind her what the outcome of that situation was. Not only is this embarrassing but at this point I’m getting agitated. I’m a respectful person but you better god damn believe a Wal-Mart employee isn’t going to make me feel uncomfortable. Again we got her manager and I watched her do the same transaction she denied me without asking for ID from the guy so I called her on it. She said and I quote “All you foreigners come in here trying to put money on these cards you scam from hard working Americans like myself and I’m sick of it” I’m Korean by the way. Anyway at this point I had enough I told her “You ignorant EBT slug pump. When you were stealing Newport’s from your mom while she was passed out from the heavy night of crack use she just endured I was in another god damn country destroying people who actually want to do you “Americans” harm. You’ve never made a single selfless sacrifice for this nation nevermind another human being and you have the balls to call me a foreigner? Let me explain how you fit in here in America. When immigrants come here they look at someone like you and they think to themselves “You know we may have just fled a land where genocide, famine and death were a daily occurrence but at least we know the pinnacle of our existence won’t be cashing a $390 paycheck at the end of the week. You do understand that the self checkout area can do 95% of your daily tasks more efficiently correct?” That’s it, I left after that. I hate Wal-Mart.
Walmart has a website for reporting incidents like this:

I think there's a very high probability that in the current environment of discrimination against people of Asian descent, that Walmart is likely to take action in this situation, rather than have you posting publicly about it. Big companies don't like reports of racial discrimination about their employees.

Just IMO, I would get that driver's license replaced. One of these days you might run into a police officer who hassles you about it. And who needs that?

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I
Walmart has a website for reporting incidents like this:

I think there's a very high probability that in the current environment of discrimination against people of Asian descent, that Walmart is likely to take action in this situation, rather than have you posting publicly about it. Big companies don't like reports of racial discrimination about their employees.

Just IMO, I would get that driver's license replaced. One of these days you might run into a police officer who hassles you about it. And who needs that?
I don't really get where the Asian discrimination is coming from? Post-Trumpitis etc. Why now?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I

I don't really get where the Asian discrimination is coming from? Post-Trumpitis etc. Why now?

"
In the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, violent attacks and harassment toward Asian Americans have spiked.

Stop AAPI Hate tracks reports of violence against Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. Since the start of the pandemic, they've received reports of over 2,800 hate incidents across the United States.

Hate crimes against Asian Americans in 16 cities rose by 150 percent in 2020, a recent report from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino revealed. These incidents range from violent attacks and verbal abuse to the vandalization of Asian-owned businesses.

Advocates are attributing the spate of violence partly to xenophobic rhetoric that connects the COVID-19 pandemic with Asian Americans, which includes former President Donald Trump's habit of blaming the virus on China.

But anti-Asian racism isn't new. Centuries of anti-Asian racism in the United States have led to this moment.

What's behind the rise in anti-Asian attacks? And what might our past tell us about the fight to be seen and to feel safe?

Li Zhou, Anne Anlin Cheng and Manju Kulkarni join us for the conversation.

"

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

"
In the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, violent attacks and harassment toward Asian Americans have spiked.

Stop AAPI Hate tracks reports of violence against Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. Since the start of the pandemic, they've received reports of over 2,800 hate incidents across the United States.

Hate crimes against Asian Americans in 16 cities rose by 150 percent in 2020, a recent report from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino revealed. These incidents range from violent attacks and verbal abuse to the vandalization of Asian-owned businesses.

Advocates are attributing the spate of violence partly to xenophobic rhetoric that connects the COVID-19 pandemic with Asian Americans, which includes former President Donald Trump's habit of blaming the virus on China.

But anti-Asian racism isn't new. Centuries of anti-Asian racism in the United States have led to this moment.

What's behind the rise in anti-Asian attacks? And what might our past tell us about the fight to be seen and to feel safe?

Li Zhou, Anne Anlin Cheng and Manju Kulkarni join us for the conversation.

"
Asians began to come to the US in the 1850s.

That's not to say they weren't treated horribly- like everyone else, they just want(ed) a better life.

The ignorance of anti (fill in an ethnic group) is one of the things that pisses me off about people in modern times- people could be soooo much better but apparently, that requires too much effort.

Maybe it would help if signs and billboards with "Don't F&ck with people" were posted.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I had to google "EBT". I got no results for "slug pump". I don't think it was a compliment though...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Who's had good service at Walmart?

Much shorter thread. :p

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

I have no complaints, and I shop there every week. I time it carefully to avoid the crowds, and their inventory control is worse lately than I ever remember (some out-of-stock items when the Kroger corporate variant down the street has them), but overall I can't remember a bad experience.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
<rant> I avoid Walmart and rarely ever shop there. It's been years since I made a purchase there. For starters, a lot of the product is crap. It's the cheapest of the cheap. There is intense pressure on procurement staff to low ball suppliers. I read an article years ago where they were paying like 0.14 for a shirt from Bangladesh and they were pressuring the manufacturer to lower the price! No regard for the livelihood of people in 3rd world countries. It's all about profit and trashing the competition. I think you can be capitalist and still respect workers and sell a good product at the same time.

This is a longstanding beef with me. I miss the days of Made in America when quality was king. That stainless steel Procter Silex toaster from '69 is probably still working great today. You'll be lucky to get 5 years out of the made in China Walmart special. Somewhere along the way, manufacturers convinced Americans (and Canadians) that cheaper is better. Along comes the Chinese juggernaut and we're flooded with Chinese plastic crap that gets brittle and breaks over time. But that's ok. It's cheap. Throw it in the trash and get another cheap one. Meanwhile landfills are overflowing and plastic is shipped to SE Asia where it gets burned or dumped into the ocean because it's cheaper than recycling. Good lord, have we become idiotic consumers. </rant>

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have no complaints, and I shop there every week. I time it carefully to avoid the crowds, and their inventory control is worse lately than I ever remember (some out-of-stock items when the Kroger corporate variant down the street has them), but overall I can't remember a bad experience.
I'm equating no service with bad service. Try finding help to locate something when you're there.The few times I have actually found someone, they're clueless and impatient.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I order online, I wouldn't be caught dead inside a Walmart.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think you can be capitalist and still respect workers and sell a good product at the same time.
Agreed. The problem is that the median family income in the US is about $78K per year, which means there are a lot of families earning less than that, and most want to have a lifestyle that would cost a lot more without cheap imports. Walmart sells what it does because many of their customers want to buy it.

This is a longstanding beef with me. I miss the days of Made in America when quality was king. That stainless steel Procter Silex toaster from '69 is probably still working great today. You'll be lucky to get 5 years out of the made in China Walmart special. Somewhere along the way, manufacturers convinced Americans (and Canadians) that cheaper is better. Along comes the Chinese juggernaut and we're flooded with Chinese plastic crap that gets brittle and breaks over time. But that's ok. It's cheap. Throw it in the trash and get another cheap one. Meanwhile landfills are overflowing and plastic is shipped to SE Asia where it gets burned or dumped into the ocean because it's cheaper than recycling. Good lord, have we become idiotic consumers.
I completely agree. Most of what I buy at Walmart are groceries, especially brand-name dry goods, some of their meats and produce are pretty good, brand name healthcare items, some automotive chemicals (DOT4 brake fluid is about half the price compared to the major auto parts chains), some hardware items, and pretty anything else where the identical product is more expensive elsewhere. For household items I try to follow your bent towards domestic manufacture, but US-made All-Clad frying pans, for example, are $100-$200 each, which isn't practical for many people. I'm not sure how to buy a made in the USA toaster. Walmart clothing? Even I'm not that cheap.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I

Wu-flu?
Kung-flu?
Wuhan virus?
China virus?

Some people with limited brain cells may form a certain perception after hearing the above from the President of the United States for a solid year. :rolleyes:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I know I got a little off topic as that opens up a whole other discussion on social and economic issues. I grew up when a single income was sufficient for the average middle class family. My mom worked part time for extras like vacations. These days a working middle class family needs two incomes just to get by. The success of the Walmarts is a byproduct of that. I realize for many the options at Walmart are all they can afford, but there is also a "got to have it now" attitude as opposed to saving for something better.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

We have a Walmart Neighborhood Grocery about 10 minutes from the new house. It's practically a different shopping experience, but with the same Walmart prices on foodstuffs.

As far as service, well I haven't had many problems that would require help from the staff. Usually it's a self checkout malfunction or something.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I love Walmart. At least, my newer, upscalish Walmart near my home.

I almost never have any issues when I'm there. Occassionally out of some food-stuff that I like, but otherwise almost always right on track and a reasonably good shopping experience.

I avoid it on weekends when I can, and I always do self-checkout, because they don't pay me to wait in line for a cashier.

About the only bad experience I think I ever had was when I purchased a TV there. I bought a 58" television, and they don't have any flat carts or anything like that around so I could move the TV. They weren't helpful, at all, in getting me a cart or anything either. Apparently this is a store/chain issue, not that I'm entirely sure of that, and I probably should have gone over to their gardening section to see if they had any flat carts there.

So, I was stuck lugging a 58" TV, in the box, all the way out to my car. Of course electronics is at the far back of the store... So, that's about as annoying as things got, and I never expect 5-star service when I'm paying 1-star prices, so I live with my expectations of nothing and am really not disappointed in what I get in return.

But, returns, prescriptions, and most other things I have done there (mostly just shop) have all been easy enough.

Of course I'm not brown and don't have some racist person saying nasty things to me either. That would quickly change my mind about their store altogether.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would be tempted to use the prescription service and optometrist. Those things are overpriced elsewhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis