Which yamaha reciever to buy?

D

dannox02

Enthusiast
I'm a little confused about which yamaha reciever to pick. I thought at first, after reading such good things, I'd get the rx-v2500... but I can get the 2400 for about $500 less, and the rx-v750 for even cheaper than that.

I know that there is a difference in the wattage, and a little different GUI... other than that, what are the differences that would affect sound quality, and what features does the 2500 have that the others don't?

I've tried yamaha's canadian web site, but it's hard to figure out what the difference is, I wish they just had a comparison chart!

For now, my system will be mainly for 2 channel music, but I will eventually add surrounds. I'll also be buying some Paradigm monitor 7 or 9 speakers. Is it worth the extra to go for the 2500 over the 2400, or would the 750 be good enough?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In my opinion: The 2400 definitely gives you the most bang for the buck right now since it is an 'old' model and is being offerred at a great discount over the newer model. The questions to ask are whether you need or want the power that the 2400 offers you or will the 750 suffice?

The full manuals and specs are available on Yamaha's website so it makes it a lot easier to look for little features you may want or need for your receiver.

For example: For me, I must have RS-232 control if available, I need zone 2 with video output, and I would prefer zone 3 output. I have 3 component inputs.... so the 2400 won't do it. I can't run component directly to the display because I am splitting the output from the receiver to both a plasma and a projector. So, the single receiver needs at least 3 component inputs. That means the 2500 will do. Okay, I have a Z1, but have thought about the 2500 recently for the 3 zone capability.

They all are excellent products that you will be happy with, so the question is what your needs are and will one of those 3 products meet your current needs and your needs over the next year? Or, would it be obsolete before it even came into your home?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
There are comparision charts. However, as I suspect you've discovered, None that compare all three of the models mentioned.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/compare_rec.htm

$500 is a huge price to pay for the added features on the 2500 over the 2400.
On the flip side; if the difference between the 2400 and the 750 is a couple hundred, and suspect I it's that at the most, then the extra features far out weigh the cost.

I agree with BMX, unless you need, or more importantly may need in the future, the extra component input or the zone 3 the 2400 is a good choice.

Keep in mind most of the higher end televisions today have their share of inputs. My Toshiba has 2 component inputs. Those in combination with 2 on my 1500 give me the capability of 3 component inputs. If a TV purchase is in your future that might play a factor. 500 bucks will pay for some nice bells and whistles on a TV.

D

dannox02

Enthusiast
What about the 1500? From what I can tell it's the same reciever with a little less power.

One other question about rs232, I'm curious how this is used to connect to a computer....

dm_4u

dm_4u

Junior Audioholic
dannox02 said:
I'm a little confused about which yamaha reciever to pick. I thought at first, after reading such good things, I'd get the rx-v2500... but I can get the 2400 for about $500 less, and the rx-v750 for even cheaper than that.

I know that there is a difference in the wattage, and a little different GUI... other than that, what are the differences that would affect sound quality, and what features does the 2500 have that the others don't?

I've tried yamaha's canadian web site, but it's hard to figure out what the difference is, I wish they just had a comparison chart!

For now, my system will be mainly for 2 channel music, but I will eventually add surrounds. I'll also be buying some Paradigm monitor 7 or 9 speakers. Is it worth the extra to go for the 2500 over the 2400, or would the 750 be good enough?
Go for the RX-V2400...no question...if you can still find a new one...the price and value are...quite frankly astonishing...$695 Canadian :eek:

There are no somic differences...(maybe minute)...from the RX-V2500...and the sound and features are far superior to the RX-V750.

The RX-V2400/2500's have a very unique feature, in that you can watch a program, (ie hockey/football), from one source, tape, (movie), from another source all the while listening to cd's and drinking beer with your buddies :p

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
dannox02 said:
What about the 1500? From what I can tell it's the same reciever with a little less power.

One other question about rs232, I'm curious how this is used to connect to a computer....
The 1500 is a step or two closer to the 2400 than the 1400 was. Best to look at the comparision charts on the Yamaha site then refer to the 2500 review in the AH review section. In there are some links comparing the 2500/2400 and 1500/1400. I haven't seen any charts comparing all four on the same chart.

As far as the RS232 goes:

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5532

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
dannox02 said:

This will give you a detailed answer I gave on the 232 port: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5532&highlight=RS-232

The 1500 has less ins and outs and only has 2 component inputs. You probably won't find it for less than the 2400 and I (personally) would take the 2400 over the 1500 if the price on the 2400 were better. The 1500 does not have the new, very nice, menu structure that the 2500 has. I imagine there are other differences that I am unaware of as well that make the 2400/2500 a more valuable product as well.

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
But don't forget that the 2500/1500/750 have the GREAT PureDirectMode while the 2400/1400 doesn't have,also the 750 is technically(using newer chips inside) newer than the 2400/1400.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I personally can't tell much difference if any between the Pure Direct and direct mode on my 1500. Maybe some one with better speakers and better ears can. I do like the way it dims out the display in Pure direct but that alone would not be enough to sell me on the newer iterations of either model.

F

FNG

Audiophyte
I did a lot of price shopping. I found the 2500 for just $708.00US and that included shipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis