Which UHD player for x900f

BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
After some recommendations on this forum I was able to stream UHD for the first time last week, and I have to say I’m just not impressed with the audio quality. I watched Into the Spiderverse and while the picture was decent I experienced some pretty severe clipping, especially in the first scene where the particle accelerator is fired up and the antagonist (I forget his name) is introduced. Damn near smoked the coil on my vtf15. Maybe it’s my own fault, but I’m not quite convinced yet.

Anyhow, I’m running a 65” x900f and a denon x2400 and looking to add a UHD player to the mix. I am a bit nervous as I have heard Dolby Vision on these TVs is horrendous and there’s no way to switch it off. I have a tenuous grasp, but I believe it’s because Sony did not include Dolby’s chipset to decode DV, and instead decided to install a firmware update that essentially offloads the majority of the DV decoding to the UHD player, while the tv covers the rest. Im not entirely sure what the truth in the matter is, but many people have been have trouble with streaming DV to the x900f.

I just want something that can give me UHD, hdr10, quality DV, and provide good audio. Also, I’m not sure whether it would benefit me to use the Denon‘s DACs or to get good DACs in the UHD player. And I need a player powerful enough to handle decoding DV since the Sony doesn’t want to do the whole job. :rolleyes:

Any help is appreciated

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, I can’t help you with the question. But I’m gonna guess your HSU is running a little too “hot” in too big a room, or your in a null. Or you need another one! The spider verse track has exemplary bass(even streaming it), and I’d recommend being cautious with it until you know at what level your system can handle it. I’m sure you’re running it a little hot at least, because umm, that’s what we do! Just wondering how much. Also what MV level and how big IS the room?

BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, I can’t help you with the question. But I’m gonna guess your HSU is running a little too “hot” in too big a room, or your in a null. Or you need another one! The spider verse track has exemplary bass(even streaming it), and I’d recommend being cautious with it until you know at what level your system can handle it. I’m sure you’re running it a little hot at least, because umm, that’s what we do! Just wondering how much. Also what MV level and how big IS the room?
Room isn’t dedicated theater, so don’t be too shocked, and I have 9’ ceilings, but it’s about 8,000ft3 to all the doors that seal this “room” off.

I know it’s far from ideal to say the least. And I understand it would take a lot to pressurize that whole area too, but I don’t think I want to do that.

I did the sub crawl, and placed the sub near-field right next to my listing position. It was louder across the room, but didn’t have that tactile feel as this part of my house is on slab. Had gain set to 10:30/11, Q at .6, xover at 80hz, both ports open. Denon was playing at about 70 (not sure why they chose to gauge like that). Sounded great that whole movie except for that scene though. Actually it sounded great in that scene too, I didn’t notice any audible clipping anyhow. But damn it started smelling afterward, so I turned it off for a bit.
I guess part of me doesn’t want to admit I hurt this lovely sub!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I have an x900f with an Oppo 203. Love the tv and have Never had any issue with Dolby Vision or audio clipping

BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
I have an x900f with an Oppo 203. Love the tv and have Never had any issue with Dolby Vision or audio clipping
That’s good to hear. There is a 203 on CL for 900 I saw this morning in San Francisco. I’m not sure it’s worth that much what with all the newer machines...

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
After some recommendations on this forum I was able to stream UHD for the first time last week, and I have to say I’m just not impressed with the audio quality. I watched Into the Spiderverse and while the picture was decent I experienced some pretty severe clipping, especially in the first scene where the particle accelerator is fired up and the antagonist (I forget his name) is introduced. Damn near smoked the coil on my vtf15. Maybe it’s my own fault, but I’m not quite convinced yet.

Anyhow, I’m running a 65” x900f and a denon x2400 and looking to add a UHD player to the mix. I am a bit nervous as I have heard Dolby Vision on these TVs is horrendous and there’s no way to switch it off. I have a tenuous grasp, but I believe it’s because Sony did not include Dolby’s chipset to decode DV, and instead decided to install a firmware update that essentially offloads the majority of the DV decoding to the UHD player, while the tv covers the rest. Im not entirely sure what the truth in the matter is, but many people have been have trouble with streaming DV to the x900f.

I just want something that can give me UHD, hdr10, quality DV, and provide good audio. Also, I’m not sure whether it would benefit me to use the Denon‘s DACs or to get good DACs in the UHD player. And I need a player powerful enough to handle decoding DV since the Sony doesn’t want to do the whole job. :rolleyes:

Any help is appreciated
If your audio is clipping or the video is breaking up while streaming UHD your internet speeds may need to increase. As far as the Tv I have the newest Sony 950g and both HDR and DV are excellent the 900f is also a great tv for such formats just be sure to turn on enhanced format for the hdmi input that corresponds to the signal feed to take advantage of the formats.

You should re run Audyssey with the gain set appropriately then after adjust the subwoofer with the Avr a few DB not the gain on the sub. Download the app it allows much more control and while setting the subwoofer it gives you a bar with a green threshold for where you should set the gain for calibration.

BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
I appreciate your advice thank you. I will run some tests tomorrow and see how it turns out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis