• Thread starter Garreth Thompson
  • Start date
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I love ProJect's carbon fiber tonearms. They are amazing trackers.
How much better are they than other specific arms, tho? Any actual measurements to consider or just the usual wacky subjective stuff?
The point is that both the Garrard 301s and the Thorens TD 150 are iconic. Both were in the top TT of all times, the Garrard 301 number 1 on the list. The Garrard 301 is iconic as it was the world's first truly Hi-Fidelity turntable. This turntable was produced before the synchronous motor and electronic speed control. The speed control is managed by an ingenious eddy current brake as part of the motor assembly. It works superbly. Although an idler wheel design, its rumble specs are superb, and rumble is not audible. This was achieved by outstanding and legendary craftmanship. They have stood the test of time and are a monument to the precision engineering of the time.

The Thorens TD 150 is iconic in that it was the fist turntable with synchronous motor and belt drive. Its beauty is its simplicity. I have only changed the belt once in 67 years and that was only because I thought I should.

I know that turntables and LPs have a vogue, and excellent turntables, superbly engineered arms and cartridges, can sound very good. But everything has to be obsessionally set up. Even at their very best, with the finest recordings, they can not compete for fidelity and convenience with digital audio.

So I am honest about it, and refer to my turntables, reel to reel, cassette machines and associated equipment as the museum section of my system. That is exactly what it is, and restored and maintained to show just how good it really was and is. In this way history is properly preserved. Whether future generations will have this desire to preserve our audio past, only time will tell.
I still chose the SL1200 over the Gerrard and Thorens at the time, it wasn't even close and still isn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The point is that both the Garrard 301s and the Thorens TD 150 are iconic. Both were in the top TT of all times, the Garrard 301 number 1 on the list. The Garrard 301 is iconic as it was the world's first truly Hi-Fidelity turntable. This turntable was produced before the synchronous motor and electronic speed control. The speed control is managed by an ingenious eddy current brake as part of the motor assembly. It works superbly. Although an idler wheel design, its rumble specs are superb, and rumble is not audible. This was achieved by outstanding and legendary craftmanship. They have stood the test of time and are a monument to the precision engineering of the time.

The Thorens TD 150 is iconic in that it was the fist turntable with synchronous motor and belt drive. Its beauty is its simplicity. I have only changed the belt once in 67 years and that was only because I thought I should.

I know that turntables and LPs have a vogue, and excellent turntables, superbly engineered arms and cartridges, can sound very good. But everything has to be obsessionally set up. Even at their very best, with the finest recordings, they can not compete for fidelity and convenience with digital audio.

So I am honest about it, and refer to my turntables, reel to reel, cassette machines and associated equipment as the museum section of my system. That is exactly what it is, and restored and maintained to show just how good it really was and is. In this way history is properly preserved. Whether future generations will have this desire to preserve our audio past, only time will tell.
Iconic sometimes just means too old for purpose, too.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Iconic sometimes just means too old for purpose, too.
Not in my case it doesn't. I am very selective in not only my purchases, but in what I choose to preserve. None of those items are compromised by age.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not in my case it doesn't. I am very selective in not only my purchases, but in what I choose to preserve. None of those items are compromised by age.
I do understand your perspective, not your particular choices perhaps. Couldn't pay me to own a Gerrard.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It has the switch, This is a newer model then my other one. You are right BONUS! Sumiko head came with this unit, my older one came with the RED. Will probably get a Ortofon Blue.
Some people prefer the Sumiko to the Ortofon Red so it's worth taking the time to check it out thoroughly. Been meaning to get a Blue stylus for my Ortofon. I like to have the ability to swap out a cheaper stylus for those few LPs that are in rough shape and the Blue stylus is a relatively cheap upgrade. That's a feature that I miss with the p-mount on my old CEC; easy to swap cartridges. I know the Doc likes the Orotofon Black but I don't play enough vinyl to justify the upgrade. Not yet any way. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How much better are they than other specific arms, tho? Any actual measurements to consider or just the usual wacky subjective stuff?
I said they were amazing trackers and never said they were better than any other tonearm. I have some badly warped albums and the Project tracked through them without even hinting that there was a bad warp. My biggest surprise about how well the ProJect tonearm tracked is when I moved up to my current table, an Oracle Delphi MK IV with an SME-309 tonearm and Ortofon Black Cartridge. The ProJect sounded almost as good as the Oracle. I had zero feedback issues from the subs which were in close proximity to the ProJect table at the time. People poo-poo Project for their simplicity, belt drive, and tonearm but these same people never owned one let alone use one.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Some people prefer the Sumiko to the Ortofon Red so it's worth taking the time to check it out thoroughly. Been meaning to get a Blue stylus for my Ortofon. I like to have the ability to swap out a cheaper stylus for those few LPs that are in rough shape and the Blue stylus is a relatively cheap upgrade. That's a feature that I miss with the p-mount on my old CEC; easy to swap cartridges. I know the Doc likes the Orotofon Black but I don't play enough vinyl to justify the upgrade. Not yet any way. :)
black is like $800 if I am not mistaken and kinda blows my budget.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's too bad that Shure discontinued production of phono cartridges. They made some outstanding ones and also at reasonable prices. The V15- Mark 5 was amongs the top cartridges ever manufactured on this planet.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I do understand your perspective, not your particular choices perhaps. Couldn't pay me to own a Gerrard.
Not sure you do. This year is the seventieth anniversary of the Garrard 301. I can assure that no one would pick it out from the most exotic turntables around today in a blinded trial. Of course they had to make use of the existing technology. The AC induction motor was their only option to power it. So that had to rely on superb design and craftsmanship.

That also applied to the owner, as back then he bought a turntable and had to mount an arm and cartridge. I think that actually got people more involved and expert, as you were forced into some sweat equity and craftsmanship. Today, even asking a customer to require a screw driver can be a stretch!

I well remember when my father bought his Garrard 301 in 1959 as stereo burst upon the scene. He mounted it in an eighteenth century oak clothes chest. Arm was an SME series I with an Ortofon moving coil with the step up transformer integral with the cartridge, mounted on the back.

So that is one of the reasons I mounted all my turntables in that case. All of my turntables came less PU arms and cartridges. Even my Thorens TD 125, as the PU arm had been removed. I bought the turntable non working, parts or repair.

The Garrard 301s also came beautifully presented with a hard backed instruction manual with a mounting template included.

Underside of a Garrard 301.

There is a grease cup on the spindle bearing and you give the cup a slight turn once in a while and refill it when its empty.

Top side.

My two Garrard 301 and a Thorens TD 150 from 1965. It is an early serial number and came from the first few months of production.

Even after all these years I don't think those turntables give up anything to any turntables made since. I highly doubt anyone would pick them out in a blinded test, if they all had the same cartridge/arm combo and amplification.

The hubris of the modern age so often discounts the skills and achievements of those that came before. That is what all this is about. So Lovin, I'm proud to keep those fine turntables in use, and in prime condition to remember those that came before with gratitude.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If the OP is still around? I'd second just upgrade the stylus! It really does wonders.

R

renardanderson

Audiophyte
Hello all. I have a Sony PS-HX500 turntable. I want to upgrade and I like Audio Technica LP120 or 140.
I'm looking some advice as which way to go. It will be paired with a Yamaha RXV781 plus Wharfedale Evo 4.4 and BK Electronics Monolith subwoofer.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
ProJects are manufactured wholly in the Czek republic. Nothing is out sourced. Either turntable would be a step up from the OPs considerations and what he currently has.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis