O

openmike

Audiophyte
Ok so, I am putting a stereo system together for my bedroom, from the equipment which I replaced in my recent theater upgrade bug. I have a pair of Polk Audio RTi12's, an older Harman Kardon stereo processor, a Rotel stereo amp, but I am lacking a subwoofer. I listen to everything from Jazz to Rap, and everything in between. However, if I'm listening to a song with good bass below ~85Hz, I like it to have some kick. The RTi12's are rated down to 18Hz, but even after trying them bi-amped below 90-80Hz, the three 7" woofers just lack the kick I'm looking for. After spending a fortune on my last sub I'm limited this one to the $600-$750 price range. I had recently heard an SVS, and was so convinced by its performance, that I definitely want to try one for this system. So to finally spit my actual question, between the SVS PB12-NSD, 20-39 PCi, and 16-46 PCi, which would be the best for music and kick? Keeping in mind I have a decent amound of music that I like to crank with bass in the low 20Hz's/high 10Hz's. Any advisement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your kindness and courtesy.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Normally music has little content below 30 Hz. Are you listening to pipe organ music with content down to 10 Hz? Because this is mainly for music I would probably go with PB-12 NSD (which is tuned to 22Hz) or the 20-39PCI (Tuned to 20Hz) rather than the 16-46PCI. How large your room is will also make a difference. When you move down in tuning you lose output capability. One last note if possible you may want to save a little more money and go with the Plus series. I bought a 20-39PC+ back in April. I have really loved it. I decided to go with the PC+ over the PCI for a couple of reasons 1. They are tuneable and the PCI are not, 2. I do not want to ever need to uprade my sub again. While I know there are more expensive choice out there I believe the PC+ is as much as I will ever care to spend on a sub (Unless I move it to a very large area then I might need another).

Just my opinion though.

Brad

O

openmike

Audiophyte
My room is approximately 15'x14'. I do have some organ music that I knew was between 16-20Hz, but I didn't know that much else isn't in that region. Although I do turn that music up, that's not what I'm looking for the kick in. So I can know eliminate the 16-46 PCi. As for the new PB12-NSD (front firing) would a 325 Watt front firing amp still fill and kick that a middle sized room for the full 20-90Hz range? And would the PB12-NSD/2 over power that room? Like would I have power that I'll never actually use? Again, thank you for all your assistance.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-isd1.cfm

"# +/-3dB 22Hz-100hz anechoic extension (18hz in-room frequency response typical)"

The tuning is to 22Hz. You will always get lower useable frequecies with in room response. When comparing this to the cylinders you need to use the actual tuning not in room to get an apples to apples because the 20-39 will have a lower in room as well. So you can compare either in room responses (which are only conjecture since it depends on your particular room) or you can compare the anechoic response.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, the best for kick will probably be the 25-31PCi. It has the most output higher up, and will still go relatively low. "Kick" is generally in the 40-60Hz range, not at the bottom. The PB-12NSD will go lower, and will probalby have a similar output as the 25-31 (the PCi cylinders use the NSD drivers too...)

Your real problem may be your room. Square and near square rooms can be problematic for bass.

The RTi12s have a -3dB of 30Hz.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Agree with John, the 25-31 will get you usable down to 20hz and hit harder than the rest. Also, I agree with the others that a Plus is worth the $s for the the versatility, power and tunability.

O

openmike

Audiophyte
Well it's not to say that my last / current HT sub didn't work out for me. That is actually the exact opposite situation. I bought the Velodyne SPL-1200R for $1500, and have been nothing but pleased. 1000 watts RMS, strong down to 20Hz, all around great. However, I don't need that much power for my bedroom, and in demoing the Velodynes in the price range I'm looking at, none really impressed me as the SPL-R series did. I had then heard my friend's SVS, and when he told me the price, I decided I wanted to try them out for my next sub for music and for the money.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
First i would send svs an e-mail with info and see what they say. Also as many others have done,you can get the 25-31 and have them tune it to 22-31,i've heard that works out nice.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Hmm, OpenMike -- I've gone back and reread your posts -- and I've edited my last post and added the 25-31 Plus back into the list. You can get 16Hz tune with it, and it does offer the most energy high up to augment the lower end of your woofer range. Notice I'm specing the Plus driver here, not the less expensive NSD version -- I think you will appreciate the clarity on music, and the tri-tune cylinder will allow you to adjust extention/SPL to your program material.

In other words I am agreeing with John and Ron :)

O

openmike

Audiophyte
So it would appear the general consensus is the 25-31 PC-Plus. If so, I have just couple questions: with is still being 16" in diameter, it is a 12" woofer correct? And bang for the buck that will still have the kick from 20Hz-100Hz? I mean I hate to keep asking the same questions over and over, but I just want the best sub for the money (keeping in mind it is for music only) for my first taste of SVS, and to still be able to thorougly enjoy my music in my bedroom. Thanks again for everyone input.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Yes, OpenMike, with the exception of the 10" driver in the PB10, all SVS drivers are 12".

I've never heard an HSU myself but they are reputed to be good music subs.

Mike Dzurko at ACI makes some excellent speakers for music. The only one in your price range, the Force, has a 10" driver and lists for $750. This is a sealed box and will not have the output of the SVS ported subs. I have two of Mike's 12" model, the Titan, and I agree with other reviewers that if you are trying to blend with electrostatics this is a great choice. If you are trying to discern the inner textures in a double bass basoon concerto, in your price range the Force is probably your best choice. If you are unfamiliar with ACI their web site is here: http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/speakers.htm
and their discussion forum is here: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=76

SVS is also coming out with a sealed sub, the SB12, but ballpark availability isn't until October 1.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
GG thanks for correcting me. I wasn't aware of the new front firing PB12. At first I thought you were getting it mixed up with the SB12. I watch over at Hometheaterspot since SVS consistently posts over there but that thread slipped by.

Thanks,
Brad

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Brad, if I hadn't been posting in an ongoing thread over there I would have missed it too!

Remember the days when the 'News' on the SVS site changed about once a year? :)

Geoff

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis