Which sub for Magnepan

Bicster

Bicster

Audioholic Intern
Greetings,

I am in the process of designing a Magnepan home theater system. The 1.6's up front with the CC3, and either 1.6's in the rear or the MG12's. For this system a sub will be quite necessary. In the $750-1000 range, what sub do you think would compliment the Maggies well? I like Outlaw, but they seem to match better with speakers that have better low end frequencies. Any help will be appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'v'e been using a Velodyne 1012 (or 1210), ferget which it is for about 6 years now in a 2 channel system. with a pair of 1.6's The way I implement it is a little unusual.

Since the MAggies are polite enough to simply ignore what they cannot reproduce, IK run them full range. I take the preamp out and spilit it with one side going to a Rotel RB-991 for the maggies and the other side to the Velo.

I have the low pass filter on the sub to somewhere around 45 - 50 hz so that I can use the maggies to their maximum range and only use the sub to fill in where they start to peter out. FWIW, I have the sub placed near the right channel, on the adjacent (well, 4 feet) wall. YMMV

Bicster

Bicster

Audioholic Intern
Man, that sounds confusing. Hopefully I can pay an installer to do something like that.......

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's easier than it sounds.

All it takes isacouple of "Y" connectors, some common sense and a little patience. Oh yes, a grasp of the fundamentals in this hobby help also. Lurk around here and read other posts. It'll sink in eventually.

T

Tom Steele

Bicster said:
Man, that sounds confusing. Hopefully I can pay an installer to do something like that.......
I don't know anything about Mags, but I just wanted to say I like your sig...

Who is John Galt?

-Tom Steele

U

Unregistered

My Setup

I have a pair of maggies, 1.6s. I use them all the time in a home theater.
My Sub of choice is an old Velodyne ULD 15. I drive the maggies with an ADCOM amplifier.
I love the sound and I am constantly amazed by the sounds which seem to be real and all around me in the room tather than comming from speakers.
The Velodyne fills in the bottom very well. Sometimes when I come home from clubs and such I like to asjust the system to emulate the "club sound" and I am satisfied with these attempts. It is very easy to make the system sound like live. I also really appreciate the way the sound fills the great room it is in. I have a food preparation area on the opposite side of the great room which houses my home theater and standing in the kitchen area the sound is still quite amazing.
Go with Velodyne. You will be very happy with maggies and the Velodyne.
I have owned a few different electrostatics and love the maggies with Velodyne the best. When you hear common sounds like phone rings on my system it still makes people look around for their cell phones. Do you want to hear candles burn such as in the Exorcist? Do you want to cringe during earthquakes in movies or be able to identify musical instrument brands by listening? Go with Maggies and Velo.

Jack

E

elf1

Enthusiast
My Setup

I have a pair of maggies, 1.6s. I use them all the time in a home theater.
My Sub of choice is an old Velodyne ULD 15. I drive the maggies with an ADCOM amplifier.
I love the sound and I am constantly amazed by the sounds which seem to be real and all around me in the room tather than comming from speakers.
The Velodyne fills in the bottom very well. Sometimes when I come home from clubs and such I like to asjust the system to emulate the "club sound" and I am satisfied with these attempts. It is very easy to make the system sound like live. I also really appreciate the way the sound fills the great room it is in. I have a food preparation area on the opposite side of the great room which houses my home theater and standing in the kitchen area the sound is still quite amazing.
Go with Velodyne. You will be very happy with maggies and the Velodyne.
I have owned a few different electrostatics and love the maggies with Velodyne the best. When you hear common sounds like phone rings on my system it still makes people look around for their cell phones. Do you want to hear candles burn such as in the Exorcist? Do you want to cringe during earthquakes in movies or be able to identify musical instrument brands by listening? Go with Maggies and Velo.

Jack
Jack
If ever you need another Adcom, I have a 5800 for sale. I switched to Bryston
Ed

E

elf1

Enthusiast
Does anyone have experience with Magnepan 1.6 and Rythmic subwoofer?

E

elf1

Enthusiast
No I didn't. I am new to forums. Just looking for some sound advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis