Which streaming services provide hi res audio file above 24 bit 192Khz

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I did enjoy @highfigh talking about 20,000hz and our ability to hear it. I almost always balk at absolutes since absolutes are rarely true. So any statement that says "always" or "never" usually raises my eyebrows because exceptions abound. 20khz as an upper end is pretty well accepted for human hearing because damn near nobody can actually hear music or instruments played at that range. We can "sense" things in that range (I believe that was your point) but not really hear tones presented there with any reliability. @TLS Guy mentioned seeing audiograms and virtually nobody gets even close to that range. I know my range is somewhere south of 16K on my very best day.

So what's the point of the OP and his fantastic range request? If one can't hear the limits of the CD standard, what's the point of venturing beyond it? For most of us, there isn't one. For those who love fantastic tales and golden eared experiences, there's snake oil aplenty to take you there. For a small additional fee of course.
I ALWAYS balk at absolutes. :)

At the highest frequencies, we don't hear a definite pitch or timbre, but we can sense the nerve activity- in the case of the ultrasonic motion sensors, it was an incredibly annoying sensation that felt like a pressure change as someone changes altitude, not a distinct pitch as I heard from (many) Sony TVs that produced a frequency that I was told is around 17KHz, although I have seen other info more recently that it was just below 16KHz. I hated going into TV stores when CRTs were on display.

WRT high frequency limits in software and hardware, the problems with the early CDs was claimed to be caused by the 'brick wall' filtering, so they changed it to allow a more gentle slope. That seemed to appease the haters, but that didn't stop SACD and other formats. I think that if the HF rolls off naturally, it might be less offensive than if it's forced to end at some point that's not far from the upper limits of hearing. Just a quick theory that has absolutely no research behind it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis