Which spec is better?

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hello!!

I`ve been looking for lots of diferents specs on different manufacturers. There seems to be misleading info (like the watts/ch issue) about frequency response.

E.I:

Yamaha YST-SW320
Frequency response: 20-160hz (-10db)

Tannoy mX-SUB10
Low frequency response: -6dB @ 35Hz, in room typical response

These were extracted from the respective manufacturer`s web site. So, which is better and in the Tannoy example, which is the total frequency response?

Thank you!</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Specs dont make a sub or speakers, sound does. The Yamaha is very good as Khellandros review would tell you, the frequency response in worthless if the sub has loose boomy bass, give both of them a thorough audition and then let your ears decide.</font>

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>What are your recommendations/tips to try a subwoofer?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Take your favorite CDs and give Yamaha, JBL, REL, Paradigm and M&amp;K a thorough audition and let your ears be the final judge. Dont go for the boom factor but listen to how natural the bass guitar or the organ sounds.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>OK thanks!!

And what about those low frequency tests? The ones that go from 10hz-100hz signal noise. Are these usefull somehow?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Ultra Nexus : <font color='#000000'>OK thanks!!

And what about those low frequency tests? The ones that go from 10hz-100hz signal noise. Are these usefull somehow?</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>They are useful when you need to set the acoustics of your room and your sub for maximum performance, otherwise a test tone wont tell you how musicaly accurate your sub is.</font>

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Can you explain (or point out where`s the info) what is the relation on Hz with dB like in the former examples (i.e. -6dB@35Hz)?

What does that mean? &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Well, I`ve been looking around for this info and as far as I understood, the db level at certain frequency (or frequencies) is the amount of volume.

So a -6db@35hz is better than 20-160hz (which surely is unreal)@ -10db, since -6db is better than -10db.

Any input on this issue is very welcomed!</font>

G

galindez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>You are correct. dB which stands for decibel is a relative unit that relates to power (dBW, w for watts) or in music terms &nbsp;loudness.
number = 10^(dB_value/10)
dB = 10 x log(number)

3 dB is a common reference point. For every 3dB I have doubled my &quot;number&quot; or power. This is a little different with sound as I recall one cannot perceive the doubling of audible sound. There are various sound references in dB, ie a jetplane is around 110dB in loudness.

The frequency relating to dB is energy/loudness at a particular frequency. Typical hearing range is 20Hz to 20,000Hz (same as 20kHz).</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Ultra Nexus,

The dB you are referring to is a ratio. It's not dB SPL which is volume, or dBw relative to one watt.

The reference for this dB is the peak output (SPL) of the speaker for a given input power. For example the speaker outputs a maximum of 90db SPL at 1Khz with one watt applied (at 1 meter).

The spec you quote is saying that the lower frequency response is 6dB (or 10dB) lower at 35 Hz (or 20Hz) relative to the peak output at 1Khz.

Trying to guess the slope of the rolloff from this one reference point is near impossible. So it's pretty futile trying to compare the two numbers. The best thing to do is strap on your best listening ears and go hear the speakers for yourself.</font>

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Yeah you are right... I guess all this mambo jambo is for experts in the field but at the end nothing fools your ears ;)

Thanks for the input though!</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis