P

peacetilence

Audiophyte
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I have a few questions. I currently own a 24" widescreen LCD and PC and use it for games, DVDs, music etc. For the last year I've been using a pair of Sennhieser headphones with a cmoy amplifier exclusively. My pc is an all around HTPC that I use for work and the entertainment things I've listed above.

Now on to my questions. I'm interested in purchasing a receiver like the Onkyo SR 640 and a couple of speakers to use in the times that I don't want a pair of headphones strapped to my head. Cost is an issue, and since the speakers will be limited to a desk space is sort of an issue as well, bookshelfs sized speakers would fit nicely, smaller ones would be nice as well (as long as sound quality isn't affected). So do any decent speakers exist around $200 a pair? The Onkyo is 85w per channel I believe and supports 7.1 surround with a sub but for now I'd be content with just the two speakers and might possibly upgrade in the future. I'm not the biggest audiophile in the world but I want something better than PC speakers or those Sony home theater in a box systems.

Things I like about my Sennhieser 280HD headphones (I don't know how valid it would be to compare headphones to free standing speakers...) I like that they are clear, don't enhance the sound from the source, don't have thumping bass but just sound crisp and natural. Is it possible for me to find speakers that fit these specifications? Something all around for the different things they will be used for.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think there are a few options for you. I'm a big fan of the BIC DV62si bookshelves which can be had for around $115/pr shipped from Amazon. They're somewhat "bright" in character and this can be fixed with a $30 crossover mod by Ed Frias (I can e-mail you his info if you're interested). Ed also sells a heavily modified version of the DV62 for $250 plus shipping. The speakers are fairly efficient so you should have no problem driving them with the Onkyo.

P

peacetilence

Audiophyte
Hmm I might be interested. I guess I could always purchase the speakers first and see if I'm satisfied with the sound, the price is certainly good. How does the modding work? Is this something you do yourself or do you ship the speakers to Ed Frias? Shipping costs could add up that way I worry. I planned on maybe upgrading to 7.1 at some point in the future so I also worry that I will be stuck with speakers that I can't match to other ones unless they are also modded.

I would appreciate his info though and any and all recommendations.

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
You take the crossovers out of the speakers (very easy, all you need is a screwdriver) send them off to him. He does the mods for $30 I think, and sends them back to you. Great deal, and the crossovers are small so shipping is almost nothing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis