Which Speakers to get???

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
I am thinking of getting either the Kef's Q950's,large center,Q150's for surrounds,or getting the Martin Logan 40i with matching center & surrounds..this system will be placed in a room that is 10.5 wide by 20.5 ft deep with 8' ft ceiling,driven by a Onkyo RZ 70 avr. Using a Paradigm DSP 3100 subwoofer for now. Wondering if those 2 choices are good ones?The store has a 30 return/exchange policy so no risk to me.For movies(40%),Music (60%)? But open to other speakers too....keep it in the 4k area of prices?? I live in Canada so that does limit me somewhat Thanks for the feedback in advance

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$4,000 for how many speakers/subs?

KEF and ML are certainly popular brands.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The KEFs or MartinLogan speakers will be fine, but neither would be my first choice at that price range. For that kind of system, I would be looking at RBH Sound, Monoprice THX, or Hsu Research. Revel also has the Performa3 series on sale at the moment, and those would be very good for the money. Polk Reserve series is also well worth looking at too. Audio Advice still has HECO speakers on sale, those are also great for the money.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
The KEFs or MartinLogan speakers will be fine, but neither would be my first choice at that price range. For that kind of system, I would be looking at RBH Sound, Monoprice THX, or Hsu Research. Revel also has the Performa3 series on sale at the moment, and those would be very good for the money. Polk Reserve series is also well worth looking at too. Audio Advice still has HECO speakers on sale, those are also great for the money.

Thanks shadyj....however live in Canada so easier for me to shop up here....maybe would look at monitor audio silver 300 or SVS prime pinnacles as can get those up here at my budget limits too??Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks shadyj....however live in Canada so easier for me to shop up here....maybe would look at monitor audio silver 300 or SVS prime pinnacles as can get those up here at my budget limits too??Thanks
I am not sure what brands or retailers you have access to, Monitor Audio and SVS are fine. SVS has a good three-way center channel. I might lean toward SVS for their center speaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The "bed" layer of speakers other then the subwoofer 2-mains,1-center, 2-surrounds.Thanks
I would do something like:
RBH 6500-SF towers + 661C-SF center + 61-SF bookshelf.

But KEF and ML are nice also - you can always try them.

Last edited:
S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
I am not sure what brands or retailers you have access to, Monitor Audio and SVS are fine. SVS has a good three-way center channel. I might lean toward SVS for their center speaker.

What about the main speakers which brand would you suggest...I know about the R700's but too big for my room....and bleeping heavy LOL!!

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
So far I've heard the Q950's and the big matching center was very impressed can list to them in my home for 30 days risk free....wondering about the others that I listed or suggested so far i.e the SVS speakers can get those up here quite easily too.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I would recommend auditioning the Martin Logan speakers if you haven't already. The folded ribbon tweeter they use sounds beautiful, but it sounds beautiful when you're in the sweet spot. For 'solo' music enjoyment, a great choice for the price.
When I set up my 5.1 system, I decided that I wanted speakers with better dispersion. I auditioned many speakers and finally decided to buy Paradigm Prestige speakers to set up the system. I am not trying to steer you to anything. I do strongly suggest auditioning the Martin Logan's to ensure you could live with the image they present to someone sitting off center of the sweet spot.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So far I've heard the Q950's and the big matching center was very impressed can list to them in my home for 30 days risk free....wondering about the others that I listed or suggested so far i.e the SVS speakers can get those up here quite easily too.
If you like the KEFs I would go for it. For movies coaxial drivers have big advantages, especially for centers. If I ran a company ALL my centers would be based on coaxial drivers. Those drivers have characteristics that no other drivers can match for center application.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Like a few others have mentioned, figuring out the center is very important. Not every brand has a good center. :)

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Update have slightly changed my search have heard the new Martin Logan Foundation F2's with the matching center channel & they sounded really good going to see if can get both the Q950's & F2's in my place to test them out as every room is different!!Has anyone on here been able to compare them(the F2's) to .Q950's?Again I know that I need to do a proper audition in my own room...just trying to get a idea until can do it Thanks...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If in Canada you might want to consider Paradigm or PSB as well. You should be able to find a show room for Paradigm unless you're in a rural area. The Paradigm Premier series hasn't been mentioned in a while but was often recommended not too long ago. The Founders are likely outside your budget. Can't go wrong with KEF or ML though if you like the sound.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Funny you should mention the Paradigm Premier series listened to the 800f's today they sounded very good.....will be going back to the dealer to listen to both the F2's and 800's Saturday I think I slightly prefer the Martin Logan's but will see/hear on Saturday!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Funny you should mention the Paradigm Premier series listened to the 800f's today they sounded very good.....will be going back to the dealer to listen to both the F2's and 800's Saturday I think I slightly prefer the Martin Logan's but will see/hear on Saturday!!
The Paradigm Premier series has an excellent center speaker. MartinLogan does not.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We have a forum member in Ontario with the 800Fs and Premier centre and he's been very happy with the result. BTW, he used KEF bookshelf speakers for the surrounds.

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
So after a 1hr 30 session of going back forth between the Paradigm's & Kef's & Martin Logan's....my new system will be M/L F2's mains,C1 Center,B1 rear's driven by my RZ70.Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions!!!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So after a 1hr 30 session of going back forth between the Paradigm's & Kef's & Martin Logan's....my new system will be M/L F2's mains,C1 Center,B1 rear's driven by my RZ70.Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions!!!
Yeah I looked at ml ages ago but I didn’t really like the electric stats , they sounded good, but there was a narrow sweet spot. But I was more worried about the panel breaking. It looked pretty fragile. These new ones are really heavy , but the f series I can carry not there other one. These are better than one I’m using. Only double the price or same as mine costed counting inflation . Have to add to wishlist .. they must sound great?

M

mcmns

Audiophyte
The Paradigm Premier series has an excellent center speaker. MartinLogan does not.
Can I please ask a question. I’m considering two setups and would really appreciate a recommendation. My use is 100% movies and TV.

1 - Polk r700 plus L400
2 - Paradigm 800f plus 600c

Thank you in advance

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis