Which Satellite Speakers to buy.

B

BostonJ

Audiophyte
I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR 335 w/ BOSE 701 series, and would like to add a Center and Four Satellite speakers. I'm looking at Polk, Cambridge SoundWorks, and EMP.

I'm new to the Forum and would like to know the difference between these Brands.

Cheers.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
EMP's and Polks tend to be power hungry... However, that HK AVR should handle it. Any reason you're considering satellites rather than bookshelves, towers, in-walls, etc.?

B

BostonJ

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick response, The BOSE 701 Series are towers and the wife wants small speakers. Can you please recommend some models ?

Thank you.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker upgrade

Since you mentioned EMP, check out their on-wall speakers for the front 3 channels, for $100 each. Add 1 or 2 pairs of the satelites for the surrounds. The freqency response and SPL capabilities of satelite speakers tend to be limited by their small drivers, but the EMPs include 4" woofers.

The sub does not have to "match" the other speakers and ID companies like SVS, HSU, and AV123 are good options for the sub.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
buy four of these- Cambridge Audio S30s

I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR 335 w/ BOSE 701 series, and would like to add a Center and Four Satellite speakers. I'm looking at Polk, Cambridge SoundWorks, and EMP.

I'm new to the Forum and would like to know the difference between these Brands.

Cheers.
Cambridge Audio, I think became Cambridge Soundworks. Anyway these speakers would make awesome satellites:

at $219/ pair Cambridge Audio S30
http://spearitsound.amazonwebstore.com/Cambridge-Audio-S30-Speakers-Natural-Oak/M/B00196SJOI.htm?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Since you have Bose 701 fronts and I assume you are planning on keeping them you might consider a Bose VSC -10 center( However, I have one and it is okay, but not very good - in my garage system now). If you want my opinion about front and center :eek: ........ okay never mind

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
mirage omnisat v2 satellite

I would highly recommend the Mirage Omnisat v2 stellite speaakers, they sound wonderful with a huge soundstage. I have not heard a satellite that can beat them. They are able to go plenty loud enough and are rated to 150watts rms and are very well built. They will need a sub but all satellites do (they go down to 70hz).

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
you need a subwoofer

I would highly recommend the Mirage Omnisat v2 stellite speaakers, they sound wonderful with a huge soundstage. I have not heard a satellite that can beat them. They are able to go plenty loud enough and are rated to 150watts rms and are very well built. They will need a sub but all satellites do (they go down to 70hz).
I agree with flippo you will need a sub if you don't already have one!.

Here are some reall y good sub brands SVS and Hsu. You can start with the SVS PB10-NSD sub for $429
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

or the Hsu VTF- 1 $399
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html

You can buy a less expensive sub, but you will end up with a cheap sub that you will soon replace!

Last edited by a moderator:
DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the quick response, The BOSE 701 Series are towers and the wife wants small speakers. Can you please recommend some models ?

Thank you.
Define "small". There is a large range of speaker sizes between floorstanding and baseball size (Orbs) speakers.
You can do wall mount speakers that can really deliver good midrange and mid-bass, while others can't even come close. And the larger the box, the better the mid-bass.

N

nick51

Audioholics Approved Vendor
Check out tSc sats

Take a look at the new TSAT's from tSc, The Speaker Company. Big company quality without the big company price. You can read a review here

B

BostonJ

Audiophyte
I'm amazed at all the responses that I've received.

DD66000, the wife does not want bookshelf size speakers on our room. We just a goods HT system, this is not a media room.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
I'm amazed at all the responses that I've received.

DD66000, the wife does not want bookshelf size speakers on our room. We just a goods HT system, this is not a media room.
There is still a large range of sizes just for bookshelf speakers. Here are a few wall mount speakers. Are you saying your wife wants speakers smaller than H 12-1/4" x W 15-1/2" x D 5"?.....Or H 14-1/4" x W 12-1/4" x D 5"
Which are the sizes of these.

Or will she go for something like these, that are H 24" x W 13-1/2" x D 6" and would provide a much better HT sound. As you can see, all of these are only 6" deep, and look very nice when wall mounted...........Here is a pic of a mounted system

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis