Which of these second hand amps?

I

irR4tiOn4L

Audiophyte
Hey all, new member!

My thread is in regards to amplifier choices; basically, id like to know, objectively, but keeping in mind subjective preferences in sound, which of the following amps you think are 'best'.

I have 3-way audiolines for front speakers, and 2-way bookshelf audiolines as rears. I plug in a Yamaha CD player, which i find has a beautiful warm sound and great soundstage and detail, as well as my computer equipped with an X-Fi (this is why i have four speakers - i play games in surround), which i have nothing good to say about compared to the CD player/amp, but well thats computer audio for you! I also have Sennheiser HD 590 cans.

Basicaly, ive been running a Technics Su-Z400 amp for the better part of 4 years now, but needed a better rear amp than the real old monarch i have (70s vintage, didnt like it at all). Well, now the monarch is broke (probably just fuse), and so is the Technics (relay switch keeps going on/off and its getting worse - takes 10 mins to get going, but is then reasonably reliable).

So basically, im in the market for an amp (ill leave the technics for rear, before eventually replacing it) around the $250 Au mark - so obviously second hand. As you probably gathered, i like the sound of the technics i had - id say my preferences are soundstage, warm, detailed and punchy, in that order. I am flexible though, and can recognise when an amp is just plain better (like the old 80s carver dad has).

Checking up on ebay, im currently looking at a few amps; including
Technics Su-z780
Alesis Ra-100
Technics su-v2
Musical Fidelity A1
Technics su-8055
Kostas pre-amp + amp, unknown model
Marantz SR 7000 home theatre reciever
Technics Su-500

Now unfortunately, i missed out on the musical fidelity A1, which i think is the best out of those (anyone confirm that?), it ended up going for $255 au. The Kostas seemed good too, but i didnt know much about it, and so i let it go - it ended up at $500 au. Now theres obviously quite a few technics amps on there, because i know i liked my one, but the main thing im looking at right now is the Alesis Ra-100.

What do you guys think of the Alesis? It ends in 2 hours and is likely to go for under $250, but ive heard conflicting opinions - thats its brilliant on the one hand, poor on the other, and it seems to be a guitar amp, not a home HiFi amp.

Would it be a good choice to buy that, or should i wait for another audiophile amp like the musical fidelity A1, or perhaps get one of those technics amps?

Sorry about the lengthy post and anything offensive/ignorant i might have inadvertently have said. Id really appreciate any advice you can render on this.

Cheers!

I

irR4tiOn4L

Audiophyte
Noone had any experience with the Alesis Ra 100? Just want to get an idea of what it sounds like.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Noone had any experience with the Alesis Ra 100? Just want to get an idea of what it sounds like.
Chill ir. Firstly, you posted at 2:00 am, and most of us are in the US or Canada. Secondly, you listed a couple of off brands.

I'm sure someone will chime in with some expertise or experience. Just sit back, chill, have some coffee, and patiently wait for a response. Actually forget the coffee. You bumped your own thread after just two hours! I think you're already a little jacked up. ;)

And welcome to the forum!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Alesis is pro audio gear. I have an Alesis amp for one of my keyboards. I think it would probably work fine and "sound" about like any other amplifier. The connectors may not be what you expect. It could well use Neutrik or other pro audio types of connectors rather than the RCA's and binding posts etc. that we are used to with home home audio. All that means is that you might have to shop for cables in the pro audio world rather than in the home audio world.

Back when I used separates, I used pro audio amps from QSC. They were transparent, powerful and reliable - a good combination. The pro audio amps are usually pretty beefy with strong power supplies. I'm surprised they aren't more popular for home audio applications since they are as transparent as the home audio amps and less expensive (because of volume, not quality.)

My advice for using Ebay is to know what you are bidding on. The place is a snake pit and it is easy to make a mistake. Do your research well in advance of the end of an auction.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would have to agree with you on that the Musical Fidelity is probably the best of the lot, But see if you can find something by NAD or possibly a Sansui AU517 or Au717.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Are they considered well designed amps in your part of the world? Then it has no sound but is transparent in its operating region.
If they are esoteric, certainly not the Technics or Sansui,, then you'd have to listen.

I

irR4tiOn4L

Audiophyte
Chill ir. Firstly, you posted at 2:00 am, and most of us are in the US or Canada. Secondly, you listed a couple of off brands.

I'm sure someone will chime in with some expertise or experience. Just sit back, chill, have some coffee, and patiently wait for a response. Actually forget the coffee. You bumped your own thread after just two hours! I think you're already a little jacked up. ;)

And welcome to the forum!
lol sorry, i had to make a decision quick. In the end i decided Not to get the Alesis, because it seemed like a proffessional amp, not a home music amp, and i figured 'transparent' might mean a sound i dont like.

So i stuck with what i knew i liked, and got a Technics Su-Z780 (I think its a V78 to the rest of the world). I should have picked that Musical Fidelity A1 up though, because at $255 Au it was a bargain! Still, ive got one amp now, ill need another at some point, so ill keep my eyes out for another NAD/musical fidelity or other such amp.

At one point i was considering a Kingrex T20 Tripath amp, but decided against it based on the poor power output. My old Technics Su-Z400 had something like 60 watt each channel, and the most i could turn that up to was 40%. Ive realised that the The Technics Su-Z780(V78?) is a lot more powerful though - 100watt each channel - maybe too powerful?

Is there a 'sweet spot' for amps, and if my 3-way audiolines are 94db sensitivity, would i not be able to get into this 'sweet spot'?

Hmm, i guess ill find out!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
At one point i was considering a Kingrex T20 Tripath amp, but decided against it based on the poor power output. My old Technics Su-Z400 had something like 60 watt each channel, and the most i could turn that up to was 40%. Ive realised that the The Technics Su-Z780(V78?) is a lot more powerful though - 100watt each channel - maybe too powerful?
Too powerful? One assumes you have a preamp with a volume control.

Is there a 'sweet spot' for amps, and if my 3-way audiolines are 94db sensitivity, would i not be able to get into this 'sweet spot'?

!
I've never heard the term sweet spot for an amplifier. I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry.

I

irR4tiOn4L

Audiophyte
Too powerful? One assumes you have a preamp with a volume control.

I've never heard the term sweet spot for an amplifier. I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry.
Hmm well i dont know if they do or dont, but i was wondering whether at very low output (less than 10% volume) the amplifier may not have 'warmed' or extended enough to provide the best possible sound?

And err, no i dont have a preamp - id be using the Z780's volume control. Should i be thinking of a pre-amp? Do they have to be matched?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis