Which of these 2 subwoofers?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I have Energy speakers and they are:

XL-250 Front Towers
XL-C100 Center channel
Take 2.2 rears

I know I need to complete the above with a subwoofer with the same Maple finish.

My room size is:

From the front to back (wall to wall):

The first 11' in length is 35' wide
the next 24' in length is 15' wide

My listening position is 11'7" from the front speakers (about 15' from the front wall).

I wish to select one of the following 2 subs:

The Energy S8.2, see it at:
http://energy-speakers.com/subwoofers/subwoofer_speakers_s8.html

or

The Energy Encore 8, see it at:
http://energy-speakers.com/subwoofers/subwoofer_speakers_encore8.html

You can click the Specifications link on the menu at the right.

My interest is first for music sound (Steely Dan, Eagles, Diana Krall, Yanni) then for movie effects. My XL-250 are already configured for LFE via my Yamaha RX-V540 and with the Sub, I will configure LFE for both Front L and R and the Sub.

Please make recommendation between the two subs. BTW, the Encore 8 is $750 vs $450 for the S8.2

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Well. Let's see. If you have the money for the better sub, then get the better sub. If you don't want to spend the money for the better sub, then get the other sub. :confused:

This is like asking us to choose between a Civic and an Accord. Both are good. One is better. The better one cost more. Simple. How can you ask us how much money you want to spend? :confused:

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I would like to understand why it is a better sub (Encore 8 over the S8.2).

Or am I to conclude the more I pay the better it gets, like you always get your money's worth, and therefore the choice is so obvious that this thread is of no help to me?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Encore 8
150w
600w(peak)
22.5oz mag
FR 25-100
3/4" MDF
1 1/2" voice coil

S8.2
100w
400w(peak)
20oz mag
FR 27-100
Not Stated(might be P/B) :confused:
1" voice coil

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
At those prices I would look at something else. Such as HSU or SVS sub. Why limit yourself to one make of sub ? There are so many other options.

Cheers,
Glenn

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Yes I read some very good reviews on SVS. Will consider that one seriously. I think the Gray color would do well with the rest.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
SVS just relesed a new unit for 459 that is supposed to be stellar. Also HSU has the STF 2. Both subs will wipe the floor with the Energy subs. IMO

P

Pat D

Audioholic
Big room

Well, if I had $750 to spend on a sub, I would consider subs like the Hsu VTF-3, SVS 20-39 PCi, or maybe the Paradigm PW-2100. There are numerous other candidates and just because you have Energy speakers is no reason to get an Energy sub.

You have a good sized room, so I think ordinary 8" subs are a little small. I'd look for something larger. They can be put out of the way in a corner (subs actually tend to work best in corners) so they need not be very obtrusive. People often think our big 15 inch sub is an end table.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Your looking at the sub I was referring to. I was off on the price. The only downside is the sub has no built in crossover so you will need to use the one in the receiver.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
anamorphic96 said:
Your looking at the sub I was referring to. I was off on the price. The only downside is the sub has no built in crossover so you will need to use the one in the receiver.
I intend to use digital audio input from DVD or STB to receiver and no Multi channel cables. I enjoy DVD-A in DD 5.1 and DTS*Music discs.

Quote from the review:

"SVS reports that nearly all of its customers use digital bass management and the subwoofer pre-out for both home theater and music formats. As such, I view the decision to eliminate the speaker level inputs and the low-pass filter as a cost savings measure that has no real downside for most enthusiasts, especially at this price point. Furthermore, SVS says that elimination of the high level connections freed up space for a larger amplifier, and also improved heat sinking capacity for even better reliability." By Ed Mullen

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
HSU or SVS ?

The HSU VTF-2 MK and

the SVS PB10-ISD

There's an obvious difference in appearance which favors the HSU, so that aside,

The HSU has a Variable Tuning Frequency which I would expect to use for low bass extension rather than maximum output. It's frequency response is 25 Hz and the SVS is 15 Hz. Does this make a huge difference to the human ear?

See details at:
HSU
SVS

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V540

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
mfabien said:
My room size is:

From the front to back (wall to wall):

The first 11' in length is 35' wide
the next 24' in length is 15' wide

My listening position is 11'7" from the front speakers (about 15' from the front wall).
...and the sub position would be 9 to 10 feet in front of the wall (see diagram in the attachment)

Because of the size of the room, SVS thinks the sub may be overwhelmed. But then a year and half ago, a 150 watt amp powered sub was installed for a day in that exact position and when the installer played an excerpt from the Gladiator, my wife, who at that moment was entering the house, was so disturbed with the reverberation and the noise that she came down the basement and the whole system was removed the next day.

So, I wonder if having the sub faced a wall does in fact make a difference in spite of the total space of the room. And the SVS is a 300 watt powered sub !

Note: I don't use the sound system when my wife is in the house.

Attachments

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
SVS is recommending the PB12-ISD instead of the PB10-ISD because of the room size and suggest placement of the sub on the right side, either south of the fireplace or on the right (near the wall) of the seating position.

If there are cat owners using subs with over 300 watts amp power, can you tell me if the cat(s) react to floor vibration or air displacement because of the sub? We have 2 cats and if ever, because of visitors wishing to hear the sound system with the sub, the cats react in a way which my wife may interpret as displeasure to the cats, that will be a death sentence for the sub. May as well know now !

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Subwoofer ordered yesterday

SVS is shipping a PB12-ISD this week. They are now offered in different colors...I selected Light Tan.

Thanks Anamorphic96 for recommending SVS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis