Which Dayton interconnects?

• Thread starter postgrungejunky
  • Start date
P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
hi!

i'm setting up a sacd/dvd-a system for my room and i have several questions about interconnects. i plan on using dayton interconnects since they have favorable feedback from various forums and are pretty inexpensive at *****************. i plan to buy their digital coaxial cable for DD/dts signals from player to receiver. I plan to use their subwoofer cable to connect from receiver to sub. my major question is, which cables do i use for the 6 ch analog audio outs/ins? should i buy 3 pairs of stereo audio rca interconnects? 2 sets of component video cables? 2 sets of plain a/v cables? it is to my understanding that most of these rca cables are capable of sending the same information regardless of whether they're specified for audio or video use. what are some of your recommendations? i don't want to compromise signal quality due to incompatibilies of any kind...but also i would like to save money where i can...in other words...if buying 2 sets of a/v cables will perform the exact same duty has 3 pairs of stereo cables without a loss in signal quality but at a lower cost, obviousley i would want to go with the a/v cable route strictly for analog hi-res audio use. thanks to anyone who can help!

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
wow i din't know this forum censors business names :)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
postgrungejunky said:
hi!

i'm setting up a sacd/dvd-a system for my room and i have several questions about interconnects. i plan on using dayton interconnects since they have favorable feedback from various forums and are pretty inexpensive at *****************. i plan to buy their digital coaxial cable for DD/dts signals from player to receiver. I plan to use their subwoofer cable to connect from receiver to sub. my major question is, which cables do i use for the 6 ch analog audio outs/ins? should i buy 3 pairs of stereo audio rca interconnects? 2 sets of component video cables? 2 sets of plain a/v cables? it is to my understanding that most of these rca cables are capable of sending the same information regardless of whether they're specified for audio or video use. what are some of your recommendations? i don't want to compromise signal quality due to incompatibilies of any kind...but also i would like to save money where i can...in other words...if buying 2 sets of a/v cables will perform the exact same duty has 3 pairs of stereo cables without a loss in signal quality but at a lower cost, obviousley i would want to go with the a/v cable route strictly for analog hi-res audio use. thanks to anyone who can help!
.....PostGrungeJunky, what a handle, I love it, you would MOST likely be money ahead to go to a Radio Shack and see what cables that you need are included in their Gold Series Line....outstanding cables for the money, and we're talking cheap comparitively.....

.....edit....I have only used their rca's and 75 ohm coax of different lengths with 25 foot rca's as the longest cable....there were other types I suspect might have been for video, but I could be wrong on that....go get some rca's or 75 ohm coax, and check for the video possibilities....Radio Shack is paying me per post, right....we've covered this....they got some neat weather radio's two....what?....ok, also....I plead unfair working conditions for profit with the spambot title, but a spambot's gotta' earn his keep, or it's out in the snow from Clint.......

.....those new symbols on the forums page on the far left are neat and a good add, immho....I jumped right on top of the situation right up front, and figured out if the symbol is black, there's nothing new to read....now here's where Clint applied genius....you see red, you associate Christmas, you're tickled there's some new stuff to read, and there you have it......

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
postgrungejunky said:
hi!

Not to agonize over interconnects. Either where you want to buy, or Radio Shack, or another place. That set of A/V cable will be just fine if less expensive than the designated interconnect pairs x 3. Same for the sub, no need for specially named 'sub' cable. That label can get expensive. Just make sure they are all long enough to do the job:D Now that matters for sure.

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
for the time being, with the exception of the sub, the dvd player will sit right on top of the receiver so thats how long the cables need to be, hehe.

wow i had no idea how similar these cables really are if they can be used so interchangabley! which brings to question. over the years of buying dvd players, tv, vcrs, etc, i've accumulated maybe 4 sets of cheap oem composite a/v cables. should i just forget buying aftermarket rca cables all together and use those? or is that cost-cutting overkill? hehe

" Same for the sub, no need for specially named 'sub' cable. That label can get expensive."

Now, does that rationale apply for the digital coaxial as well?

much thanks!

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
For the short lenghts the oem interconnects is usually fine.
(not oem 22awg speaker wire)(use 14awg as minimum)
For any digital connections just make sure the cable is 75ohm rated.
The business name Part$express is not really allowed here. Everyone else is ok.
Its not that their stuff is not good - its just an advertising thing.
If you are to buy cables, surely stay away from the trap of paying ridiculous prices at Best Buy for Monster Cable products.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DO NOT put your DVD player on top of the reicever. That's a good way to cause heat issues.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
My only thing with cables, is get something with good shielding, and the right impedance.

Other than that, I go for the same brand or looks cable all across just for cosmetics, because I am picky like that.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

brian32672 said:
The business name Part$express is not really allowed here. Everyone else is ok.

I think the filter goes after the 3 letter word within that name:confused:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mustang_steve said:
Other than that, I go for the same brand or looks cable all across just for cosmetics, because I am picky like that.

That's a very good reason for doing it :D

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
thanks for the advice, folks. right now, since i haven't purchased my 5.1 speaker setup yet, i'm amusing myself listening to isolated surround tracks thru my cruddy minisytem stereo inputs/speakers. :) i have to say the information the engineers choose to include in the surrounds is quite interesting. so far my hi-res collection includes: r.e.m. best of dvd-a, nine inch nails downward spiral (dualdisc AND sacd), pink floyd DSoM, and beck sea change.

and for the love of god, why don't manufacturers at the very least convert to hi-res 2.0 cabability for stereo audio playback!!?? they remaster catalog recordings every 5 yrs or so anyway. to add to that, they always boast "remastered in 24/96 from orig master tapes." theyre actually WASTING $ to downconvert to redbook. :) whether it be a bookshelf minisystem, car stereo...etc. even in stereo 96-192k/24 bit mlp/pcm and sacd blows redbook away big time. even on my sony mid-level minisystem from yesteryear, the sonic improvements are instantly audible. and btw, wouldn't that curb piracy to a certain extent too?? sacds have enuf capacity to include stereo and multichannel mixes of an entire album. dvd-a come with too many formats to even count. stupid electronics/music industry. perhpas i should rant about this on another thread...

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
mtrycrafts said:
I think the filter goes after the 3 letter word within that name:confused:
Certainly you do not mean sex?????
Like what sex is that dog - its a hormone raging male....:D

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
the censoring of parts express is due to some past problems with someone possibly trying to advertise without paying here. At least that's my understanding of it.

P

postgrungejunky

Enthusiast
mustang_steve said:
the censoring of parts express is due to some past problems with someone possibly trying to advertise without paying here. At least that's my understanding of it.
ic...interesting. to clear things up, that wasn't my intention (advertising). in fact, i'm leaning towards radio shack cables because they seem more cost effective.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Actually I kinda stated it in my post. Originaly, Part$express had someone from their company that came here and kept only giving suggestions to buy their stuff - and provided links to almost everything. Without paying for the minimal advertising fee. Anyhow, its something like that.
But anyway - are these the interconnects you were talking about. HERE
Or the gold version? Also there is a guy on eBay that sells great interconnects.
Locking bananas.
And for Beldin speaker wire, there is no better place that I know of than here http://www.westlake-electronic.com/cgi-bin/store.php?search=yes&category=CAB&SUBCAT=BEL-&search_sent=1

EDIT:: OOPS my bad - you are looking for cables, then try that first link or Impact Acoustics here - http://www.impactacoustics.com/
Ah, here it is - HERE
That one or something different....

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

brian32672 said:
Certainly you do not mean sex?????
Like what sex is that dog - its a hormone raging male....:D

Well, that is what I meant but it seems I was incorrect:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com