Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

TechHDS

Audioholic General
What say you guys on RBH R55 towers? Thoughts please! umm how much of an improvement over say Polk M70. They both have a dome tweeter but the 55 has two mid drivers. No doubt the cabinet is a better design on the RBH 55’s. I haven’t heard the 55’s in person but from the reviews and other forums the ones who do have the 55’s highly regard them. Polks M70 are good just well the Polk sound.

Mike

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Which model Monitor Audio against which model KEF? Apples to apples comparison, please.
At random. It's not apples to apples. However
Kef LS50 to the Monitor Audio Gold 300. Again, it's my opinion but I felt the ATD on the MA was outstanding.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I voted B&W. I think over the decades they have proven to be probably the best in the world for fit finish and overall presentation of accuracy in sound reproduction.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What say you guys on RBH R55 towers? Thoughts please! umm how much of an improvement over say Polk M70. They both have a dome tweeter but the 55 has two mid drivers. No doubt the cabinet is a better design on the RBH 55’s. I haven’t heard the 55’s in person but from the reviews and other forums the ones who do have the 55’s highly regard them. Polks M70 are good just well the Polk sound.

Mike
The RBH would get my vote hands down over the polks. The previous model reviewed here was always well received. And they updated model first look

TechHDS

Audioholic General
The RBH would get my vote hands down over the polks. The previous model reviewed here was always well received. And they updated model first look

Thanks, Everett! Top of the morning to you Sir! Really appreciate your thoughts on the R55 towers. I was hoping one of you old timers would chime in on them. I have been doing a lot of research on them I have read Genes review on the whole line. I have had Polks LSi,s in the past and not wanting to spend that kind of money again. It is old timers like you and others in here that makes Genes site invaluable. I have narrowed down between two, RBH R55 and Martin Logan 40s. I will be ordering them in about 7 weeks alone with the center and surrounds, the RBH R55’s that is.

Mike

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I had some original DCM Time Windows that lasted over 30 years with no maintenance. Sadly sold them when I moved now have a pair of Infinity Primus P363. Good Speakers but no Time Windows.
Dave

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Can't vote. Things like Klipsch and Polk are just placeholders.. Right? Too many missing. I vote for a revote with a more detailed menu of brands. :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I was listening to a pair of Leedh Aura 2 speakers a long time ago and was floored by the experience, this was a long long long time ago in a galaxy far away .....

The Leedh's were pretty expensive back then but by today's standards not so bad. On the Internet they have now received legendary status and you would have to be extremely lucky to find a decent pair second hand... heck, you would be extremely lucky to find any pair second hand.

There was a passive crossover between bass and mid section that had to go between pre and poweramp, so it had to be bi-amped (not active filter, so it needed impedance matching)

Why I didn't buy then .... feel like an idiot

763155.jpg

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
At the moment I may be casting votes for Swiss brand Piega, and their Coax line. They employ a coaxial ribbon that they spent years developing. It's all hand made as they did not manage to find machines with the precision needed to do the work, that means expensive.

I auditioned a lot and lots and lots and lots .... and Piega is the real deal, these speakers are simply amazing, throw anything at them ...

Why do they need to be on the list:
  1. Piega Coax are plain natural, music just seem to be real
  2. Piega Coax are extremely open, music are just coming from inside the room
  3. There is a bass to die for, extremely tight, no overhang, The Coax 911 has -3dB at 22 Hz
  4. There are hardly any constraint to dynamics, you need to go very extremely expensive to get more
  5. They sound good at low level and keep the same balance, playing low or loud
  6. They are ultra cool and pretty small package for what you get
Piega Master 1 that you can see behind there on the photo is twice the price of Coax 911, but is actually worth the price upgrade, much more open, more dynamics, no overhang

I spent 15 years auditioning all kinds of speakers throughout the market in Scandinavia, these have become my favourites and now I am looking for a way to finance these.... These are the only speakers I heard for 15 years that makes me wish to sell everything I have, they are that good...

Yes, these are über expensive speakers... hand made in Switzerland means high price.

Piega Coax 911 (1).jpg

'
Piega Coax 911 (2).jpg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
At the moment I may be casting votes for Swiss brand Piega, and their Coax line. They employ a coaxial ribbon that they spent years developing. It's all hand made as they did not manage to find machines with the precision needed to do the work, that means expensive.

I auditioned a lot and lots and lots and lots .... and Piega is the real deal, these speakers are simply amazing, throw anything at them ...

Why do they need to be on the list:
  1. Piega Coax are plain natural, music just seem to be real
  2. Piega Coax are extremely open, music are just coming from inside the room
  3. There is a bass to die for, extremely tight, no overhang, The Coax 911 has -3dB at 22 Hz
  4. There are hardly any constraint to dynamics, you need to go very extremely expensive to get more
  5. They sound good at low level and keep the same balance, playing low or loud
  6. They are ultra cool and pretty small package for what you get
Piega Master 1 that you can see behind there on the photo is twice the price of Coax 911, but is actually worth the price upgrade, much more open, more dynamics, no overhang

I spent 15 years auditioning all kinds of speakers throughout the market in Scandinavia, these have become my favourites and now I am looking for a way to finance these.... These are the only speakers I heard for 15 years that makes me wish to sell everything I have, they are that good...

Yes, these are über expensive speakers... hand made in Switzerland means high price.

View attachment 25710
'
View attachment 25711
Is there any performance measurements or anything like that around for this brand?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Is there any performance measurements or anything like that around for this brand?
I have been looking round for this, but bear in mind the Coax line referred to heere is brand new ....
I found somthing on old coax line here:

https://karma.digital/sites/default/files/piega_coax_120.2_review_fidelity_04.2013_0.pdf

I have had the belief that these products are overpriced, until I actually sat down and listened really well

The new coax line offer more at a lower price point than the one that is referred to above, but I have not found anything on the new coax line or the master series that I refer to.... it would be very interesting to see though

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have been looking round for this, but bear in mind the Coax line referred to heere is brand new ....
I found somthing on old coax line here:

https://karma.digital/sites/default/files/piega_coax_120.2_review_fidelity_04.2013_0.pdf

I have had the belief that these products are overpriced, until I actually sat down and listened really well

The new coax line offer more at a lower price point than the one that is referred to above, but I have not found anything on the new coax line or the master series that I refer to.... it would be very interesting to see though
That measurement set isn't bad. Of course, a lot depends on the techniques used to measure the speakers. The bass boost at 100 Hz is probably an artifact of their measuring technique. One odd thing about their measurements is the polar maps go out to 180 degrees?! The problem with that is it obscures detail in favor of irrelevant information. What this speaker is doing at 180 degrees isn't very important, unless maybe it were a dipole speaker. While it isn't necessarily a bad thing to show that angle, it isn't worth sacrificing detail in the more important forward angles out to 90 degrees.

Anyway, looks like an interesting speaker, and the nested ribbons remind me a bit of Quad's panels.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
That measurement set isn't bad. Of course, a lot depends on the techniques used to measure the speakers. The bass boost at 100 Hz is probably an artifact of their measuring technique. One odd thing about their measurements is the polar maps go out to 180 degrees?! The problem with that is it obscures detail in favor of irrelevant information. What this speaker is doing at 180 degrees isn't very important, unless maybe it were a dipole speaker. While it isn't necessarily a bad thing to show that angle, it isn't worth sacrificing detail in the more important forward angles out to 90 degrees.

Anyway, looks like an interesting speaker, and the nested ribbons remind me a bit of Quad's panels.
The bass is tight, no bumps as far as I can hear.... they have closed box and the Master One is dipole, the dipole is by far better speaker as far as I am concerned ..... I will do some research and see if I can get hold of any measurements ...

The master one is some sort of transmission line, while the other ones have two active and two passive bass drivers....

I think this design betters the electrostats I have heard .... somehow there is something not working so well with the stats, if that is unlinearities or trouble with coupling to the room .... none of this here

And the dynamics.... the snap of a drum .... makes you jump out of the chair, almost to the point of scary

Last edited:
Ridire Fáin

Ridire Fáin

Audioholic Intern
We'd like to get your opinion on who you feel makes the best built and best sounding loudspeakers in consumer audio. Your opinion should be based primarily on sound quality followed by build quality and durability. This choice should be based on the overall product line of a particular company and not just one or two products that may excel.

If you find a particular brand on this list lacking, please indicate why.

Give us reasons why you chose a particular brand or why you feel that particular brand shines above the others on this list. If your brand isn't listed here (sorry only 10 polling options allowed), please post the brand name in the thread along with your experiences.
I chose B&W because they are readily available and throughout their product range they seem to remain true to reproducing good sound and use quality parts. They are not a brand that cheaps out their entry level product so it can be sold at super-duper warehouse grocery or big box consumer electronics store.

K

kinalwyesset2

Audiophyte
If you want the best, go check out artisanacoustics site - speakers. artisanacoustics. net
These speakers sound damn good, and are reasonably priced for what you get.
You'll thank me for this!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If you want the best, go check out artisanacoustics site - speakers. artisanacoustics. net
Best, eh? And I can audition them where...in Singapore only? How much in US dollars?

How many have you sold so far?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Best.......yeah right ......'reasonably priced for what you get' does not equate to 'best'

TabCam

TabCam

Audiophyte
There are quite a few brands in Europe that have a very good complete line up like Quadral, Canton, Sonus Faber, Dali, etc. Probably of no help for everyone at the other side of the pond.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"Best.......yeah right ......'reasonably priced for what you get' does not equate to 'best'"

Neither does high priced.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis