Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
I totally agree. there is no best only best for you and your budget

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
I used to have an audio video store many years ago and sold among others Cerwin Vega speaker

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
(Wilson Audio) They are pricey but if you buy them used 6 or 7 yrs old you can get a deal. They never seam to age. I have 2 JL Audio 10 inch subs and they have more than enough thump. They are so tight and clean. I have been building this home theater for a long time Just picked up a Sony 940E TV. And swapped out power amps.
If you spend $5000 on a used $20,000 speaker that's 8 years old. believe me there is a noticeable difference . I know 5 is a lot of money and it takes a long time to save. My wife and kids think that I am crazy but they enjoy my home theater and stereo music.
Even at their used price, there isn't a Wilson I'd buy I've heard. I know that one of their recent lines was designed by an extremely well respected DIY designer, though I'm sure he is contractually bound not to publicly disclose (using the SB Acoustics TOL IIRC) I'd have liked to heard them, but since retail placement is limited on many levels, I didn't.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Even at their used price, there isn't a Wilson I'd buy I've heard.
all well and good but since the thread is about ' what's the best' and you have declared you wouldn't own Wilson, then tell us, what is your 'top dog' ??

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't choose a best but I chose Harman because they have been quite consistent over the years. I can always bet on finding something from them that fits the circumstance and the budget. Also, they have so many products out there that you can find a good value and selection on their used gear. They are at the very least, a great place to start.

I don't even have a real preference anymore beyond that of low audible distortion, having traded in my audiophile card for subjectivity. So now I dabble in different brands and DIY in an endless rotation of system mish-mash just to hear what I can hear.

It occurs to me what a small percentage of this is decided by audiophilia. I will have combined components which would surely horrify the theoretical junkies, but everyone else says it sounds fantastic and then want it replicated in their own spaces, or, "Where can I get that?" Then I try to explain that they don't want 'this' because it is all wrong and that I am a hack and just messing around.

Either way, unless I want to be cobbling abstract and outdated DIY systems together for others from here on out, my safe answer is to direct them towards JBL.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
all well and good but since the thread is about ' what's the best' and you have declared you wouldn't own Wilson, then tell us, what is your 'top dog' ??
I really did like the JBL DD67000. It was in a very large room and seemed to effortlessly fill it. As for top dog I really don't have one. I'm a believer in diminishing returns after a realistic point. I have heard many speakers under 4k that sounded really good in the rooms they were in.

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
So Santa won't bring you Wilson Audio for Christmas. I am very very happy to finally own Wilson fronts, center and surrounds. It took me 20 years of upgrades to own them. But the thing is as long as you are happy with what is best for you. that counts and respect what other people have and let them be happy with their gear

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I really did like the JBL DD67000. It was in a very large room and seemed to effortlessly fill it.
totally agree, loved them when I heard them but my room would not do them justice (14'6" x 24')

I have heard many speakers under 4k that sounded really good in the rooms they were in.
I can relate there as well, fell in love with the Revel F208's but felt the Studio II's were worth the extra $$

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wilson get ragged on a lot but I have heard a bunch of them and never thought they sounded bad. I have certainly heard worse speakers. The price might be way too much for the sound, but they do not sound bad to my ears.

Revel is a nice balanced speaker brand. Very neutral. If I want to steer someone toward a speaker that is plain old accurate, all around well-balanced speaker, Revel is pretty much the first brand that comes to my mind.

The JBL DD67000 Everests are absolutely stupendous. I think they work nicely even in a small room. I heard them in a small hotel room at and audio show once, and they sounded great even in there. Really a dream speaker of mine.

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
I listen to the top of the line Majico's the other day, very impressive. A friend of mine is the Wilson distributor also has Harbeth, Focal and some Italian lines all great speakers. He has I do like Revel you can't go wrong with almost everything.

There are so many good speakers. I have been a big Focal fan for years I still have a pair of Focal black diamonds along with a complete surround of Focal Chorus speakers that I will sell someday. Its sitting in the attic with a few receivers and amps In fact I may just stop being lazy and sell them

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
The majico big guys were very very impresive would love to put them next to the wilson alexandrea's the bottom end of the alexandrea's is unbelievable you don't need a sub their 15 and 10 inch woofers can move some air

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Revel is a nice balanced speaker brand. Very neutral. If I want to steer someone toward a speaker that is plain old accurate, all around well-balanced speaker, Revel is pretty much the first brand that comes to my mind.
I haven't ever heard Revels but I wondered if I'd dislike them due to excessive "neutrality" which I consider to be a fault of my Infinity Intermezzos (i.e. "clinical" or "sterile" sound).

They're on my short list due to being within (barely) my budget and having a matching beefy center channel in the C208, but not sure if I'll be able to find a place to audition them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't ever heard Revels but I wondered if I'd dislike them due to excessive "neutrality" which I consider to be a fault of my Infinity Intermezzos (i.e. "clinical" or "sterile" sound).

They're on my short list due to being within (barely) my budget and having a matching beefy center channel in the C208, but not sure if I'll be able to find a place to audition them.
where are you located ? if anywhere near the Eastern half of Pa I've got a great dealer to recommend.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Speaking of Magico, they have introduced a more affordable line of speakers. If trickle down technology is at play here it should be something !

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/12/new-magico-a3-speakers-photos-and-info.html
Those look great! I'd be interested in hearing them for potential purchase. Too bad the closest dealer is a place I refuse to ever visit again because I got the distinct feeling they wanted to check my bank account before they'd even talk to me seriously.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Northern Nevada. I haven't looked but I assume I can find a place to check them out in either Sacramento or the Bay Area so actually I probably will be able to find a place to audition them when I visit my sis next month.

I need to finish up the list of contenders first. I haven't bought new speakers in ~10 years so I haven't paid much attention to the market. The Sonus Faber Venere S may be on the list but the center seems kinda wimpy. Revels are on the list. B&W 700 series is on the list. Ascend is on the list (probably the towers but maybe the Sierra 2s). Maybe Monitor Audio Golds though I've seen an awful lot of people not be particularly impressed with them for the price. Maybe PSB T2s. Maybe Polks. Maybe KEF R900s. I'm at the "lotta research to do" stage I guess.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I don't know how a speaker that reproduces sound as it is supposed to be reproduced would sound sterile. If you like a warmer sound or hotter sound, the thing to do is get a neutral speaker that has a uniform off-axis response and then EQ them. The reason is that such a speaker will EQ predictably. A speaker that has a rocky response is more difficult to EQ, especially if there are diffraction issues affecting the response.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
I don't know how a speaker that reproduces sound as it is supposed to be reproduced would sound sterile. If you like a warmer sound or hotter sound, the thing to do is get a neutral speaker that has a uniform off-axis response and then EQ them. The reason is that such a speaker will EQ predictably. A speaker that has a rocky response is more difficult to EQ, especially if there are diffraction issues affecting the response.
All I know is I liked my B&Ws better than my Infinitys for music and that's what I attributed the difference to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis