Which 65” TV around 2k?

J

Jason55

Audioholic Intern
hi looking to upgrade from a 11 year old 50” Panasonic plasma and would like recommendations on the best 65” TV for around 2k. Main use is streaming from Netflix, iTunes and Prime Video (no gaming or cable).

It seems like OLED is too expensive at this point from what I’m reading. Also seems like the main tech or features will be included at this price so it comes down to PQ and reliability. Most watching is done in the evening

It seems like a popular recommendation is Sony but hard to tell the differences - BB has 35 models ranging from 3.5k to 999.00

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
hi looking to upgrade from a 11 year old 50” Panasonic plasma and would like recommendations on the best 65” TV for around 2k. Main use is streaming from Netflix, iTunes and Prime Video (no gaming or cable).

It seems like OLED is too expensive at this point from what I’m reading. Also seems like the main tech or features will be included at this price so it comes down to PQ and reliability. Most watching is done in the evening

It seems like a popular recommendation is Sony but hard to tell the differences - BB has 35 models ranging from 3.5k to 999.00

Welcome!

I too still enjoy my Panasonic Plasma. My issue is also that OLED seems the only reasonable successor, and yes, it is still quite expensive. I also did not like the idea of dealing with, and eventually disposing of such a large TV.

It was this time last year I found a march madness sale and bought an entry level Epson 2045 projector and used trim paint to make a screen on the wall. I did all that with an extra bulb, long HDMI cable and mounts for about $700.

While the PQ is not as good as a plasma, when the image is 8 feet diag. it really doesn't matter!

The only downside to this is that now my wife wants to move the Epson into our bedroom, which means replacing (upgrading :- ) the downstairs model.

Just another option for ya!

J

Jason55

Audioholic Intern
Thanks! The current TV will go into the basement for the kids to use, so we won’t be getting rid of it.

I thought briefly about a projector but this is in the living room which has very nice wooden beams etc which wouldn’t go well with the projector imo

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks! The current TV will go into the basement for the kids to use, so we won’t be getting rid of it.

I thought briefly about a projector but this is in the living room which has very nice wooden beams etc which wouldn’t go well with the projector imo
PJ's definitely require a commitment. The good news is that they are not nearly as sensitive to ambient light as some think - direct sunlight, yes. Wood beams may also offer a good place to mount and even hide cables.

No, I am not a PJ salesman, I just think they're awesome.

Please post up what your research leads you to purchase. We have a Pros n Joes gallery for everyone to share their own slice of Home Theater. And I know we are not alone in being frustrated with the TV industry!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

@TheWarrior is right in the sense that from currently available tech, only OLED is legit Plasma upgrade path. Any LCD would be a partial downgrade. Either in terms of viewing angles or motions smoothness.
On the other hand, best tech for today's new TVs is HDR. I would focus on that.
My current tv review site fav is rtings.com. According to them, your best bet would be:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e
I'd add alert and get it at $1.5k - https://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-XBR65X900E-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/product/B01MZF81NS?context=search

If you're not in rush, I'd suggest waiting until this year Q2 or Q3. Samsung should have new panel tech to rival and beat Oled (the tech demo is already shown at CES, closed doors)

J

Jason55

Audioholic Intern
@TheWarrior is right in the sense that from currently available tech, only OLED is legit Plasma upgrade path. Any LCD would be a partial downgrade. Either in terms of viewing angles or motions smoothness.
On the other hand, best tech for today's new TVs is HDR. I would focus on that.
My current tv review site fav is rtings.com. According to them, your best bet would be:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e
I'd add alert and get it at $1.5k - https://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-XBR65X900E-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/product/B01MZF81NS?context=search

If you're not in rush, I'd suggest waiting until this year Q2 or Q3. Samsung should have new panel tech to rival and beat Oled (the tech demo is already shown at CES, closed doors)

Thanks for the links and suggestions. Are you saying that a new TV with 4kHDR etc would not have as good PQ as my 11 year old plasma?

I definitely don’t want to wait (which is funny, having waited for 11 years!). B&H has the 930E for 2k. Would you say that’s worth a premium over the 900E? Rtings.com says no, but it doesn’t mention what the price difference is and I’m assuming the video is about a year old.

930E is 300.00 more than the 900E at Amazon, BB and B&H

Thanks again to both of you. This is very helpful

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the links and suggestions. Are you saying that a new TV with 4kHDR etc would not have as good PQ as my 11 year old plasma?

I definitely don’t want to wait (which is funny, having waited for 11 years!). B&H has the 930E for 2k. Would you say that’s worth a premium over the 900E? Rtings.com says no, but it doesn’t mention what the price difference is and I’m assuming the video is about a year old.

Thanks again to both of you. This is very helpful
My point is the end result of TV is not measured by single aspect, but many. In some of them like viewing angle, fast motion, and contrast/deep blacks - plasma still has edge over any LCD/LED tech for now. Oled beats it.
While HDR can be very beneficial, improving vastly in image and realism of video far beyond any plasma set ever could, but it heavily depends on the video source. For example, Coco and Amazon's "The Grand Tour" are examples of good HDR while in some cases HDR has an only marginal effect (http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/1080p-blu-ray-vs-4k-uhd-blu-ray-does.html)
Some reading:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/how-hdr-works-in-modern-games-broken-down-by-incredible-heatmap-imagery/
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/coco-isnt-just-a-must-own-4khdr-film-its-a-bright-sign-of-the-formats-future/

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Projectors can cause serious eyestrain for marathon gaming for viewing. So keep that in mind.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got back from BB. They had the A1E open box for 50% off retail ie 1,750.00 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag--oled-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5770946.p?skuId=5770946

I wasn’t planning on buying an OLED because it was more than by budget but at this price is there any reason why I shouldn’t get it?
I'd say it's winner. As long as you purchase it with an original factory warranty and use Amex credit card (it doubles original warranty)
SONY doesn't make OLED panels, only LG does - so it's LG panel, but sony electronics, service and support
glowing review here:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a1e-oled.
Honestly, I'd jump on it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
how is this a hijack? op didnt mention he was opposed to a 75" recommendation.
Ok, I misread your comment. It seemed to my tired brain that you're looking for feedback for your future possible feedback.
A specific thread was opened to help OP find 2k (or under) 65" TV. At that budget/size, a mid-range model would be expected. It seems like OP could get lucky and get top end TV for 1/2 off. it's steal.

TV you've linked in a low-end 60hz panel from TLC. Yes, it's larger AND cheaper, but both come at a heavy price of image quality, crappy motion, and viewing angles.

J

Jason55

Audioholic Intern
I'd say it's winner. As long as you purchase it with an original factory warranty and use Amex credit card (it doubles original warranty)
SONY doesn't make OLED panels, only LG does - so it's LG panel, but sony electronics, service and support
glowing review here:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a1e-oled.
Honestly, I'd jump on it.
That’s what I thought too, but wanted to get feedback in case there was a catch or something I was missing. Thanks a lot

Rtings.com seems to be a good site: like Consumer Research but for TVs and it’s free

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Sony!..My Son still has a 40" Sony it's over 13 years old! Still using it, it resides in his bedroom now. Than Samsung, I miss my plasma Samsung had beautiful color it was a 3D 51".

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That’s what I thought too, but wanted to get feedback in case there was a catch or something I was missing. Thanks a lot

Rtings.com seems to be a good site: like Consumer Research but for TVs and it’s free
You can't beat the price of that sony. I'd jump on it.

J

Jason55

Audioholic Intern
You can't beat the price of that sony. I'd jump on it.
I did! Picked it up yesterday and been reading up the owner’s thread to figure out settings etc. also, this is my first experience with a smart tv, so trying to figure that out too.

All our devices are iOS, not sure how much of a drawback that iS with an Android tv and google play

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I did! Picked it up yesterday and been reading up the owner’s thread to figure out settings etc. also, this is my first experience with a smart tv, so trying to figure that out too.

All our devices are iOS, not sure how much of a drawback that iS with an Android tv and google play
You don't have to use it's Android TV smarts at all if you don't like it. Just get AppleTV and be done with it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Good choice on going with the Sony. OLED is the way to go for top tier quality. That's kind of the end of the story IMO. Your viewing habits further that point because you just aren't going to get plasma like quality from LCD. Despite all the improvements LCD has had in the last decade it isn't a plasma and can't match plasma. On the flip side, OLED seems to start near Pioneer Elite quality levels and go up from there.

Yes, there is a price to pay, but when you start with high quality, the drop to LCD is quite noticeable.

It took me several weeks to get my Samsung LCD to be acceptable in my family room after pulling down my plasma. I wanted the 85" screen size and the added brightness in the very bright room. But, dealing with poor motion handling processors was tough to get around. Now we are pretty happy with it, but it's not the plasma which will see more use in the basement in upcoming years.

Great choice, sounds like a phenomenal price.

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
I miss the plasma TV, I had an 8 year old Samsung that went out got an led for $1700. And the led still cant compete with my older plasma, except for the fact being my plasma dont work at all and the led does. I guess when I can afford a new oled I'll be happy again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis