Where to measure on speaker for suggested room placement.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
Trying a speaker placement suggested by a formula on the Rives website, I'm told to place the speaker 105cm from the side wall and 125 from the front wall. This seems to satisfy the condition that these two measurements not be similar.

I've always taken these measurements to be from the front middle of the speaker. But now I am changing from front ported B&W's to rear ported Dynaudios. The back middle of the Dynaudio is now nearly equidistant from both the side and front wall.

So I was wondering if one shoudnt measure from a different point on these different types of speakers? Cause now, according to the suggested placement formulae, the low freq waves have the same distance to travel once they leave the cabinet before reaching front and side wall. Surely this would create some nodes that the formulae hopes to avoid?

cheers

bevan

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
What does the manual say for your Dynaudio speakers? Normally the manual will say how near to the wall you can place your speakers without experiencing unwanted acoustical effects.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
i dont remember if they give a figure, but i have them about 4 feet out so i'm not worried about them being to close.

what i want to know is if there is an agreed upon point where to take this measurement. i.e the back or the front of the speaker? if the manual says at least 6 inches then obviously it means the back of the speaker. but the only time i read it specifically mentioned, the article said all measurements are taken from the front.

if one is useing one of the available formules it can seem to make a big difference where one measures from on the speaker box.

cheers

b

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
If the article says measure from the front, I'd do that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis