Where to Invest First?

J

jr314

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Okay, so I'm starting from scratch here - I've only got a PC to begin with. What is the best way for me to build an audiophile-quality digital music server? Should I invest in speakers first and foremost or on other components such as an amp, DAC, etc.? If I only have $4,000 now, how can I best "get by" for the meantime, and still be investing for the future?

Any suggestions for equip.?

Thanks,
JR

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome! Speakers always come first. Get out and audition as many as you can. Plan on spending about 50-60% of your budget on speakers alone.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
A lot depends on if you plan to stream directly out of the PC to your system or use an intermediate component like a SqueezeBox. I personally like the Squeezebox and it's flexibility. If doing this, then the PC side becomes much easier as you bypass the soundcard and just run a network connection (wired or wireless) to the SB which is connected to your stereo.

At that point, all you really need is the disk space. The server side of the SB (Slim Server) takes very little horsepower to operate.

Bryan

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome! Speakers always come first. Get out and audition as many as you can. Plan on spending about 50-60% of your budget on speakers alone.
I agree. In fact, even more (say 70%-80%) on speakers would not be unreasonable.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I agree. In fact, even more (say 70%-80%) on speakers would not be unreasonable.
I agree with Joe. I'd spend at least $3,000 of that $4,000 on speakers. Receivers, etc "age" much faster. Plus they don't make as big an impact on the sound as the speakers do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis