Where is the line out on my AV receiver?

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased a new toy called a "analog to digital converter", which connects my AV receiver to my computer. This device is supposed to convert audio from an LP record played on a turntable to .wav files on the computer. The .wav files can then be converted to mp3 files and burned on a CD. The idea sounds great, I don't have to crawl behind my equipment rack, unplug the turntable, and lug it into the office where the computer is. The set comes with a 30 foot audio cable which I can string from the den to my office.
Now comes the hard part. According to the instructuons, the audio cable must be connected to the "line out" jacks on the receiver. I have a Yamaha RX V-750 which has audio and video inputs and outputs for every conceivable piece of equipment known to man, but no line out. I'm sure it's there, but under a different name.
Please solve the mystery and let me in on the secret. Where can I plug my new toy into my Yamaha.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Maybe it means the Pre-Amp outputs?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Click here to see the Pre Outs of your Yammie. Click on the picture of the back panel, right in roughly the middle of the rear of the unit, directly over the left bank of speaker binding posts. It will bring up a larger picture and you can see them labelled "Pre Outs", with each of the 8 channels having one.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, with a connection to your computer you want a 0db pass-thru of audio to the computer with all audio manipulated by the PC.

This means you want fixed line-level output - which is....

VCR 2 OUT

See how there are two outputs in the line of audio and video analog inputs? One is the audio and video output for VCR 1, which you may have hooked up already. The other is for VCR 2. Go ahead and use the one for VCR 2 (if it isn't in use already). That will take the audio coming into the phono input of your receiver and port it at a proper recording line level, directly to your computer for recording.

There is also a perfectly good analog, line level, output right next to the last coaxial digital audio input where is says CD/R-MD OUTPUT - two red & white jacks. Perfect for recording!

Line level confused me for years.

Phono level is a low voltage input that I don't quite get perfectly, except it needs to be amplified properly to get to line level.

Microphone Level is different than line level as well.

Line Level is pretty much the defacto-standard that audio gear uses. So, anytime you see a normal red & white audio input or ouptut on a receiver, VCR, DVD player, camcorder, etc. that will be line level.

Unless I'm wrong. :)

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks BMXTRIX-I think this is the answer to my May 27 sound problem

Thanks for helping me with another problem. When I used the Pre Out on the receiver, the sound level was too low. See my posting on May 27, What Happened to the Sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis