Where is a good spot to learn about screens

stl1cjg

stl1cjg

Audioholic Intern
I looked around this forum and found bits and pieces of info, but nothing that answers it all. Does anyone have a good website, or thread to reference screen gain, size of screen to seating distance, aspect ratio, native ratio, brand, etc. Carpet should be in my dedicated theater next week and now looking at FP and screen. I just need a starting point so I know what to look for when I shop.

Thanks,

Chris

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
IMO, people overthink screens a lot. You can pick up a ton of information about different screens that has absolutely nothing to do with what you want to do.

Why not just describe your setup and get some recommendations?

Screen size, for typical 'middle of the theater' viewing: .66x your viewing distance in width.

Aspect ratio: Unless you are VERY serious about what is necessary for a 2.35 setup, you should get a 16:9 (1.78) screen.

A proper 2.35:1 setup will cost about $5,000+ minimum to do properly without the screen price.

Is your room properly treated as a home theater, or was the wife involved? A proper theater will have dark carpet, dark walls, and a dark ceiling with dark furniture. You may want to consider a grey screen if you haven't properly treated the room.

Are you going motorized or fixed on-wall screen?

I wrote up a FAQ about screens here: http://www.bigscreenforums.com/forum_topic.cfm?which=3448

But, feel free to ask here if you have follow up questions.

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
OP what projector are you using? I would say check out Carada screens. They are on par with Stewart screens minus the higher prices. I have one in a 126" 16:9 aspect and it is awesome in everyway. I went with the higher end Criterion model which gives you a wider bezel. Even with the PJ the screen looks awesome.

stl1cjg

stl1cjg

Audioholic Intern
I was browsing around this forum and saw my post again. I know its been a month but I am reviving this post to answer a coupl eof your questions. Room is dedicated HT. Flat black ceiling, dark red walls, charcoal greyish/black carpet with 99% light control. Size of the room is 14 by 26 by 8 high. I have a half walls that open up to game room and full bar on the right side and rear of the theater. Movie curtains will enclose most of this space. My wife gets the upstairs and I get the downstairs. I have looked at Stewart and Carada screens. I know they are both higher end screens, but is this what I need considering I am in a 99% light controlled environment (2 small windows in bar area). Originally was going to go with very large RP but figured the FP would be a better experience. Before I shop, I just needed some direction. My local dealer has ben very helpful with the audio side but since I am "ignorant" to FP and screens...I want to make sure I know what I need, not want they want to sell me. So far I have a Marantz sr6003, and 2 Paradigm 60's v5. I have also built a stage 13" tall across the front for my equipment. I will be using this for 75% movies and whenever a big sporting event comes on I would like to use it as well. Full HD is required. Do I get white, grey, what gain, best size (sitting 13-15 feet back)...the usual questions. Again thanks for the response and info. I realize that I am one of those people who overthinks, but I want the best bang for the buck since this has been a 5 year long journey. Carpet is installed next week. Pics will follow shortly.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would get a Carada Criterion screen in Brilliant White - 120"-130" diagonal 1.78:1 aspect ratio, and pair it with the Epson 8500UB projector. Put the proejctor about 14-15 feet from the screen.

http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PROJECTION-SCREEN-H126C

While the room is very dark, make sure you put in PLENTY of properly zoned lighting so you can make the room as bright as you want it, where you want it bright. This is the number one mistake people who paint rooms dark mess up.

http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

The use of a minimal gain, white screen, allows for you to get a good mix of contrast and a bit more oomph from a screen a bit larger, while maintaining 'pop'. The Epson is a very capable projector with excellent contrast, and enough brightness range to handle a screen of 120" or so with no problems and has added brightness if some lights need to be on, or can be calibrated down for true 'theater black' viewing.

Great lens shift and zoom range allow for very good versatility in projector placement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis