When you're looking for a new set of headphones

G

Gil

Audiophyte
Hey all,
What comes into consideration when you set out to by a new set of headphones, what's most important?
Obviously sound, and if money wasn't an object we would all have the "the best" gear available, but then again, what's best?
Do you let you pockets decide? Solely your ears make the decision for you? Or is it also your eyes? Are you affected by design and the brand? Would a no-name brand have your vote as long as it sounds good?
Let me know what you think. I have been looking for a new set but there are too many variables for me to be able to make a clear decision

Gil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey all,
What comes into consideration when you set out to by a new set of headphones, what's most important?
Obviously sound, and if money wasn't an object we would all have the "the best" gear available, but then again, what's best?
Do you let you pockets decide? Solely your ears make the decision for you? Or is it also your eyes? Are you affected by design and the brand? Would a no-name brand have your vote as long as it sounds good?
Let me know what you think. I have been looking for a new set but there are too many variables for me to be able to make a clear decision

Gil
Quality sound is always #1 in my book.

For headphones, they almost all seem to be overly bass-heavy. So, finding a well-balanced headphone that isn't bass-heavy is a good place to start.

But, for headphones, they also need to be COMFORTABLE. They may be the best sounding headphones on the planet, but if you can't stand to keep them on your head for more than 15 minutes, then they are useless to you. So, keep that in mind.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To continue the comfort point, I find open back phones one of the most comfortable, yet in same time let people around you hear pretty clearly and does not offer any background noise isolation

just my 2c

G

Gil

Audiophyte
To continue the comfort point, I find open back phones one of the most comfortable, yet in same time let people around you hear pretty clearly and does not offer any background noise isolation

just my 2c

Thanks for the responses so far, I'm interested to hear how much the brand and "heritage" of the product my affect YOUR buying habits? Do certain brands sound better to you? Do certain brands have their own style of sound that you like more or do you give every pair of headphones an equal opportunity when buying a set and therefore compleltely ignoring the brand?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the responses so far, I'm interested to hear how much the brand and "heritage" of the product my affect YOUR buying habits? Do certain brands sound better to you? Do certain brands have their own style of sound that you like more or do you give every pair of headphones an equal opportunity when buying a set and therefore compleltely ignoring the brand?

I would think it would depend on how one is doing the purchasing. Years ago, I bought a set of headphones that was a brand I had never heard of. Superex or some such thing. I bought them due to how they sounded (and due to my limited budget at the time). For the price I paid, they were superb, much better than anything else I could find at the time. However, if I were buying online instead of at a store, I would go with a brand that I am inclined to trust, because when buying online, one cannot hear them first, so one is obviously not buying them based on how they actually sound, but on revıews, name brand, or some such thing. It is only if one can actually hear them before purchase that one is buying them based on how they sound.

If you have a place where you can actually audition headphones, I recommend going to them and, if you find some you like, buy from them. Otherwise, everything is going to just be sold online, and you will never get to hear and compare before purchase. And that is bad for you, because you will be stuck buying based on other people's opinions (revıews), brand reputation, or some other such thing other than how they actually sound when you stick them on your head.

For me, in a store where I am auditioning headphones, I will try every one that is within my price range, regardless of the brand, and buy whichever one sounds best to me (assuming it seems comfortable as well, because it does not matter how it sounds if you cannot stand to have it on your head for more than two minutes).

In my case in particular, I have not purchased any headphones in a very long time, and listen to music only with speakers. I do not have to worry too much about bothering others, and I prefer not to have headphones on my head if it can be reasonably avoided.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
In no particular order, I try to find the perfect balance between sound, comfort, and price. Ultimately, that third one should be the first consideration and sets the practical limits for the other two.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you need to find headphones we are here to help you, but if you are looking for free marketing research data - go fish

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
For the most technical info to compare headphones check this website..............https://www.headphone.com/learning-center/difference-graph.php?graphID[0]=4061&graphID[1]=853&scale=30&buttonSelection=Update+Graph you can select any headphone and compare the graphs from one to another and see the difference of any two at a time. My favorite place to find relevent info.......

If you want headphone info look here.......Headphone Reviews :: Headphone Review System use the website to see and compare . Try this wizard to get you in the ball park...........Headphone Reviews :: Headphone Selection Wizard...check this out info on everything you need (and most you don't)...............Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles..........buying guide Full Size Headphone Recommendations |

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
When I bought mine I went for the following.

1. Noise Isolation
2. Sound Accuracy
3. Storage Size

Not sure I'd spend 200 dollars on headphones again, but then again I use mine every day so it's probably one of my better purchases. You can't beat them for noise isolation, but some folks don't like wearing earplugs and that's what these headphones are basically earplugs with a speaker in them. Etymotics Research is the brand I have and mine were top of the line when I got them. They fit in a pocket, but that's a double edged sword when traveling.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH M-20. Bought them for in home use, at the time I lived in an apartment with thin walls. Very budget friendly. Sound good from my P.C., phone, and my main system. AT makes higher end in the M Series. Lightweight, very comfortable. They also make ear bud phones for travel covenience.

G

Gil

Audiophyte
I just bought a set of B&W P5s after many pairs I've listened to.
Thanks for the help :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis